Waterman Directeur General

petra

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e361/psoesemann/watermandirecteurgeneral.jpg

(Photo from ScSales)

Here's a "vintage" Waterman C/F Directeur General. I don't know the year, but if you do, please chime in! I think the translation of Directeur General must mean something like "CEO," but I'm not sure.

This is a slender elegant pen, gold plated with black enamel or lacquer inset in a linear pattern that runs the length of the section, barrel, and then over the end of the barrel to about 3/8" down the other side.

Recently I reviewed the Waterman Exception and you may notice, as I do, the design evolution from this much earlier c/f (gold with black linear element) to the modern Exception (black w/gold linear element). I very much enjoy seeing the essential design elements evolve across the years!

The design element also appears on the clip of the friction-fit cap. The clip has an unusual design: it continues over and across the end of the cap as a flat angular form that actually slices through the cap. The clip is spring-hinged, so that it tilts back mechanically through the cap -- very cool! The engineering is as elegant as the styling.

Posted: just over 6"; 5.5" capped. The widest part is 3/8" where the barrel meets the section. I initially thought it would be too narrow for comfortable writing but in fact the more I use it, the more I like it!

In part, that has to do with the pen's flawless performance. The 18k fine nib offers up generous ink flow and glides effortlessly across smooth paper. Absolutely no pressure is needed. It functions perfectly on start-up, even after days of non-use. The excellent performance is typical of every C/F in my collection. I believe this model was made in France and they really must have known what they were doing, based on my experience!

Collectors don't seem to be very interested in C/F's (for which I'm grateful ;) . Maybe it's because the original cartridges for this pen are no longer made. Waterman short international carts (avail. in Florida blue & black only) fit very well. At first I reretted the limited color choices. But this is one pen that SCREAMS for BLACK ink. Colors would just seem excessive, so it's fine. HOWEVER - ONLY the Waterman carts fit, and not Rotring, PR, or other short international carts. They're just a hair too wide at the base :( .

In the meantime I've discovered that a squeeze type converter from another Waterman mini-purse pen fits perfectly -- and wow, the Directer turns into a super-juicy writer with the converter!

Despite its slender dimensions, the pen has a nice weight due to the metal construction. This pen has quickly become one of my all-time favs because of its reliability & elegance. I've never seen another one like it, and I can't seem to find any info either. So if you know more, I'd appreciate your comments!

I don't know what this pen is worth. I paid $95 & am happy. I'd love to collect all the C/F models, they came in a lot of colors and finishes. This is one model I could really get obsessive about!

:) Petra

/:)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M4R1N4

• petra

• ballboy

• gicoteni

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a neat pen Petra! I never saw one of those before. It has a weird 1960s look to it somehow.

Too bad it is so limited as far as the carts you can use, but you are right - Black is the only color I can see coming out of that nice nib! At least you can refill empties with Aurora or Noodlers if you want something blacker than WM Black..

I can't stop looking at that clip! The pen is so different - I dig it! Thanks for showing it to us ;)

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

The cap and nib look fantastic: I can see where the Edson gets it nib heritage. The cap seems like something Lamy would do.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 1 year later...

In 1969 M.me Francine Gomez – a nephew of Jules Fagard, the man who in 1926 established the factory of Waterman in France – became owner and chief executive of Waterman company.

post-4615-1198698544_thumb.jpg

Under Francine Gomez leadership, thanks to her talent and ability, with the help of the manager Jean Veillon and the designer Alain Carré, some of the most interesting Waterman pens of the modern production were conceived: "Gentleman", "Le Man 100", "Goutte", "Watermina" and "DG".

Also the CF line (CF is the model first designed in 1953 for Waterman USA by the legendary American car designer Harley Earl) was improved with new gorgeous colours and patterns.

DG - Directeur General (French idiom for Chief Executive) was introduced in 1974, produced in the Waterman factory outside the city of Nantes in Western France.

post-4615-1198701436_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1198701458_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1198701476_thumb.jpg

I agree with Petra regarding the design, that recalls the CF: it is evident (styling and proportions) in the picture of the two pens together.

post-4615-1198701502_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1198701524_thumb.jpg

The clip of the DG is quite innovative, with the rotation described by Petra and that I tried to explain with picture. I think that the mechanical movement is necessary in order to the considerable rigidity of the U section of the clip, due to the containing of lacquer.

post-4615-1198701646_thumb.jpg

I know the following finishes: gold plated, silver plated, sterling silver, guilloche. The insets colours are: red, black, brown, turquoise, and orange. Probably there are other patterns and colours that were produced and I hope you can help me discover them.

post-4615-1198702066_thumb.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/FPN/DG1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/FPN/DG2.jpg

Giuseppe

Edited by MYU

When I was at school that is what I would have imagined the pen of the future would look like!

It's strangely brilliant...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 4 years later...

Hello petra & other posters,

Thank you for the review and the contributions made by the repliers. Lovely photos!

In 1979 I purchased the DG in stirling silver with F nib and a C/F in stirling silver -moiré with F nib. They wrote nicely, though I favor broader lines.

I've always enjoyed looking at them and holding them. For a stirling silver FP they are quite light. I still have quite some cartridges (blue and purple) and a converter somewhere, though I'll have to do some searching. And I'm not in for that now. So at present, I can use them as dipping pens only.

I made some photos of them, however I cannot attach these as I run into the limit of 5 Mb of attaching files.

I hope you'll enjoy your Waterman FPs for many years to come!

With love,

goldenkrishna

P.S. My Waterman FPs do not tarnish.

Ik tik

• 5 years later...