Esterbrook 9550

Chris H

Hi one and all!

I just recently bought a Sailor 1911 mid-size with an extra-fine nib. I am partial to fine and extra-fine points as I write a fairly small script and I had heard that Japanese nibs run about a size smaller than European and American nibs. I also picked a Sailor because I had read they are known for their nib quality.

After a month of writing with my Sailor, I have to say I am somewhat disappointed. The nib is scratchy. The line is wet but not super fine.

I have 3 Esterbrooks with 9550 (extra-fine) nibs. All three write as fine or finer than the Sailor and all are smoother. Two of the Esties are so incredibly smooth, they are pure heaven to write with.

Esterbrooks tend to be the poor step-child of the fountain pen world, but in my opinion they rock! Probably the best writing pens I have.

Sure wish the company was still in business.

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnboz

• Daosus

• Chris H

• tawanda

I've just got hold of my first Estie via a swap. Its a copper J. I too have the 9550 nib as well as a 9460 for it. My 9460 is meant to be a rigid medium but it lays down a wet, broadish line (which is ok when I'm in that kinda mood) but the 9550 is incredibly fine! The finest I've experienced so far. (Not been into FPs too long) But, I have to admit, it is scratchier than I would have liked. Still, I love the pen enough to hunt round for more nibs to play with.

I read your post, immediately reached for my lovely Esterbrook Dollar Pen and inked it with the 9550 nib. Esties are good pens -- reliable, simple, no frills.

• 5 years later...

What about the 1554?there are some Esterbrook nibs that are better than they are given credit for. I love mine with the 1554 because is firm and very fine, ideal for what I do. Also found a medium Venus that iwrites like a 1554. I have that as a backup.

I have 3 Esterbrooks and waiting for my 4th, all SJ. One of them uses an Osmiroid medium Italic that makes it sing and I am looking forward to more excentric nibs of that kind.

Edited by Oldtimer

I love my Esties. I, also, prefer the fine to extra fine nibs and the Esterbrook 9550 is my favorite nib. I took a short break from my Estie Js when I first learned of the Pilots with their extra fine nibs. Used them exclusively for a couple of months. Then, I repented and got back to my Esties. I agree they are among the finest pens around. I will admit that I have never owned or even used a Sailor, but I don't expect them to be any better than one of my Esties. There may be prettier pens around, but there are none that are any better than an Esterbrook in my opinion.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

It took me a bit to warm up to my 9550 but once I did it has been terrific. I also have a Venus Fine and a 1555 Gregg nib for it. All very nice.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I write notes for engineering projects all day long with an Esterbrook desk pen that has a 9550 nib and it's my favorite. I use Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink. It writes with a nice, fine line that works very well in the Mnemosyne graph notebook that I use. I guess that sometimes it's a roll of the dice just how well a nib will work, but this one is really a winner.

-Drew

Edited by Hardcase

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/drew_dunn1/Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-Death_zps051b46b5.jpg

I've been surprised by some Estie nibs, the number didn't correspond with the line it made. These have all been used nibs (came in the pen). Every NOS nib I have has been perfect and wrote as expected. pajaro has me wanting to try his Sonnet franken-nib. If I could find a unit with a bent or broken nib to use I'd buy a nib from DutchPen and have at it.

Estie has given us a wide variety of factory nibs to use, although some are scarce and others kind of pricey.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

• 1 year later...

Hi one and all!

I just recently bought a Sailor 1911 mid-size with an extra-fine nib. I am partial to fine and extra-fine points as I write a fairly small script and I had heard that Japanese nibs run about a size smaller than European and American nibs. I also picked a Sailor because I had read they are known for their nib quality.

After a month of writing with my Sailor, I have to say I am somewhat disappointed. The nib is scratchy. The line is wet but not super fine.

I have 3 Esterbrooks with 9550 (extra-fine) nibs. All three write as fine or finer than the Sailor and all are smoother. Two of the Esties are so incredibly smooth, they are pure heaven to write with.

Esterbrooks tend to be the poor step-child of the fountain pen world, but in my opinion they rock! Probably the best writing pens I have.

Sure wish the company was still in business.

Chris

Chris,

How can I buy one like yours? Brand new if possible, please. I want to get the smoothest pen possible.

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

That post from Chris is over 7 years old so at the risk of that member still actually being here, I'll try to help.

Right now there are 2 9550 nibs on eBay for $20 and eBay is likely your best bet. And while the 9 series nibs are great, a smooth nib can be had in any number if they arent messed up.

Chris,

How can I buy one like yours? Brand new if possible, please. I want to get the smoothest pen possible.

You cannot do that with an XF nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com