Clips for the new prototype...

bgray

I'll be honest and say I don't think any of them suits the pen.

The arrow clip looks like it's bent. Not a good look.

The long clip is too clunky. That ball end looks like it came off a Sheaffer NoNonsense flat-top lookalike.

The ribbed clip is HIDEOUS and should never be allowed within 200ft of such an elegant shape!

The roller clip is a nice idea, but almost as clunky as the long clip.

I think clipless is probably best for this design, but if a clip is absolutely required then something very simple and elegant, not too big - something more like the Herald clip, or the clip fitted to the Nakaya writers would be ideal, particularly given the design's relationship to a Nakaya Piccolo. Looking at the Edison website, the clip fitted to the cracked ice acrylic Herald looks the most appropriate - I don't know if it's any thinner than the gold clips fitted to the other Heralds in the pics, but it looks slimmer to me.

So. Simple. Slim. Elegant. Not too big. Gentle curves.

Any help?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• fountainbel

• cmenice

• thefunkyP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

//I'll be honest and say I don't think any of them suits the pen.//

Honestly, I feel the same!!!

I didn't want to post my opinion yet, as I wanted honesty.

But I'm glad that I got the responses that I did.

Clipless is the way to go with this pen if you ask me, but I want to be able to offer a clipped pen.

What makes this difficult is that to add a clip, you also need to add a bit more length to the cap.

This makes the cap longer, in relation to the barrel. The clip needs to be narrow, and maybe longer.

I don't actually have ANY clips that really look GREAT on this pen. Nothing that goes ZING.

So I will probably offer the long clip, or nothing at all. I'll also look into the clip that goes on the Herald. Maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks...and keep the opinions coming.

Edited by bgray

Brian,

Without sounding arrogant, I feel the clips in the pics don't match well with your pen. The pen, though, is a winner. :thumbup:

Why not just use the same style of clip as Nakaya does? Personally, I think their choice of clip is excellent.

Kind Regards,

James

Of the options you provide here:

1. No clip

2. Roller clip

3. Long clip

Very nice pen!

John

Of course no clip.

But if I had to have a clip, I would prefer the one from the Glenmont or even the Menlo... in Rhodium or black :) Actually, the more I think black, the more appealing a clip would be.

The least favourite of the ones you have shown is the arrow... doesn't suit the zen like nature of the pen. Simpler is better...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I like the Roller clip.

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Honestly I don't think any of these clips suite the pen.

I would consider the clip that is on the Beaumont to suite the elegant design of your pen.

Edited by charlesg

I like the look of the roller clip.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

My vote (similar to others received):

1. No clip

2. Long clip

3. Roller clip

Personally, I'm not comfortable (used to?) carrying a pen without a clip during my work-week. Weekends, I stuff a Kaweco Sport in my pants/shorts pocket. If I was to purchase a pen at this price-point (although I love the clipless design), I know it will be tough to forgo the clip.

My best Brian. Great work as always!

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

The long clip is the best one regarding length. It matches the pen's overall shape the best. The ribbed one and the arrow are pretty ugly. I like the roller, but it's obviously the same one on the Bexley 56, or at least a good copy.

Do you have any other options besides those pictured??

Clipless looks best, but it's not practical for everyday use.

Have you considered having a clip designed for your pens?

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I do have to add that when I had a prototype of this pen it was clipless (obviously). All I did was toss it in my pants/jeans pocket. I did that for 2 weeks, with great results. The pen held up very well.

Of course, I'm a user of pens and don't care a whole lot if they see normal usage wear.

Brian: I'm with Francis. I like the ribbed clip. It has a retro look that matches the lines of the pen, IMNSHO

Grant Wilkinson

Ottawa ON

You know me Brian, no clip is the best. But the long straight is nice if you have to have a clip. how about a long straight with a pearl at the end? Just a thought!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Brian,

After a second review of the clips, if that is allowed, I have to modify my vote a bit.

I believe with my first response I got caught up with the question,

Which clip do you like?

as opposed to the question,

Which clip looks best with the Pearl?

In terms of clip design, my previous response of the roller clip still holds. But in terms of which clip matches the lines and style of the Pearl, I would have to say the ribbed clip comes closest to achieving this. I think others have hit the mark when they refer to a clip with simple straight lines as well as a longer clip length, hence the call for the Herald's clip.

Maybe a long, straight, roller clip is what is needed? :D

Either way you go, it's a great looking pen!

Nicely done.

Ben

http://benspens.wordpress.com/

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

For me, it would be roller, in gold plate, or long as second choice. Don't like the others. I don't care for pens without clips. Your work is beautiful.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Brian, clipless pens look incomplete to me. Of the clips you have exhibited I like the roller-clip and the long clip, either of which would look good on any of your pens. I also think the clip on the Bexley Poseidon and Americana would look good on your pens if you could get the clip without the "B" stamped on it.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Brian -

Beautiful pens, as always. Without seeing the clipless version, I would have to say the roller. The idea of a black clip sounds very intriguing. I cannot recall ever seeing a pen with a black clip before, at least not one I would buy. Are you going to be bringing any of these to the pen club meeting?

John