What is an ink pencil?

discplayer

I saw this on another forum and wondered "What is an ink pencil?" There was a thread here recently that concerned an ebay listing where a seller claimed to have an ink pencil. He was smacked about the head and shoulders and lo and behold, here one is. Is this a nib similar to a 51 with the section pulled back or is this something else entirely? I can see it performing something like an art pen but obviously something was wrong with the design or else they'd still be around.

It's the one on the extreme right. Thanks for input beforehand.

Marvin

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• discplayer

• penspouse

• ANM

• HerosNSuch

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, as I remember reading in other places there is such a thing as ink pencil although no longer being produced. An ink pencil uses some kind of "ink" instead of graphite. I don't know if it's true ink or what. I forget the details. I picked up pencil drawing a short while ago and in the process of researching on leadholders, I found out about it.

Here's the best leadholder museum website around:

http://www.leadholder.com/

I think it was indeed on that website that I learn about ink pencils. They exist!

edit: That website doesn't seem to be where I heard about ink pencils. I don't recall now but I remember while doing research on leadholders/clutch pencils that I heard about it.

Edited by thibaulthalpern

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

It does look like a rapidograph but there were some liquid lead pencils made. I did not know there were any as early as this one appears to be but the previous ebay guy did have a PENCIL. Note that the ink pencil in the pictures has a lever for drawing up the ink. The previous thread guy had taken a picture of the back removed to reveal a pencil/eraser section.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I saw this on another forum and wondered "What is an ink pencil?" There was a thread here recently that concerned an ebay listing where a seller claimed to have an ink pencil. He was smacked about the head and shoulders and lo and behold, here one is. Is this a nib similar to a 51 with the section pulled back or is this something else entirely? I can see it performing something like an art pen but obviously something was wrong with the design or else they'd still be around.

It's the one on the extreme right. Thanks for input beforehand.

Marvin

An Ink Pencil is, from what I can discern, used in copying hand-created documents. The marking substance is not erasable and is water soluble. has the properties of ink, without the risk of ink bleeding through and damaging the to-be-copied document.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Artists use a liquid 'lead' (an acrylic that acts similar to graphite lead rather than paint) with brushes and pen nibs. It comes in a series of graphite tones. One example is... Liquid Lead (creative name, huh?) here. It's less limited than a pencil.

There are also colored pencils that go from pencil to ink in a wash. So the application is alive and well in teh art worlde. It's just the "wrap it in a pen" idea that doesn't seem to have caught on. Betcha it'll be back though at some point.

Edited by wednesday_mac

Is there life before death?

I have a very inexpensive liquid graphite pencil made by Pentech that I purchased at OfficeMax. It looks like a standard yellow pencil and I think they cost 3 for $2.00. It writes smoothly, but the line is on the light side and I use it only occasionally.

Thanks, everyone for the great info. Mystery solved.

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln