MYU reissue

Bart

can't find a previous discussion of this, so maybe this is news:

apparently Pilot is reissuing a MYU-like pen in a limited edition, calling it M90.

http://ujuku.ath.cx/ujuku-shop/kaimono/fou...tainpen/Myu.htm

Maybe this will satisfy some of the pent-up demand for such pens, and thus bring the prices back down on the vintage ones? The ones on EBay sure have been expensive of late...

--

Bart Blacha

Edited by Bart

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thibaulthalpern

• Taki

• MYU

• troglokev

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The original discussion was in this thread.

When I took a MYU to Pilot Pen Station for repair earlier this year the manager made several comments about the MYU being a very unpopular pen. I mentioned that it would probably do well today if they reissued it and his reply was something like, "Noooo... ha,ha," as in, you can't be serious. I guess he was trying to throw me off the trail.

From the pictures it looks pretty true to the original except for the fat-looking ring between the section and cap. And a blue jewel in the top, interesting...

/Woody

can't find a previous discussion of this, so maybe this is news:

apparently Pilot is reissuing a MYU-like pen in a limited edition, calling it M90.

http://ujuku.ath.cx/ujuku-shop/kaimono/fou...tainpen/Myu.htm

Maybe this will satisfy some of the pent-up demand for such pens, and thus bring the prices back down on the vintage ones? The ones on EBay sure have been expensive of late...

--

Bart Blacha

Thanks for posting this! I've sent them my "dibs" on one.

Edited by BillTheEditor

[insert string of profanity here]

ah well. I console myself with the reminder that I don't like metal pens.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I read a mention of it somewhere on here. I'd need to see more pics, and a price, of course. Looks nice so far though.

Price is $116. It's on the Ujuku site, with pictures.

Thank you, Bill. Ditto, KCat (although I don't mind certain metal pens).

Hello,

what is the size of the Myu? I would like to see some pictures of it compared to modern pens like the Pelikans MXXX. Is the reissued pen the same size as the old one?

Regards,

Nelson

Ah, so, there had been a thread about this before. I thought so; not likely that such big news would have slipped past FPN for too long! I just couldn't find the previous thread.

Good luck to whoever is getting in line :)

Looking forward to the reviews :)

Hi,

9000 is a lot of pieces. I hope it is a very popular piece and gets sold out. Then, maybe Pilot will consider making more. I know that it didn't sell well at all when first released.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thoughts on the new Myu.

$116: Good price from ujuku. If he sells it at that number it might soon be available on Yahoo Japan for 10-20% less.

9000 pieces: Could be overkill and too many for the market. If so, expect price to drop. 9000 pieces does not mean they all will be released at one time. Pilot could time their release and put out a smaller number each month. Hope the eBay hoi polloi do not think this is super-rare and bid up the price not knowing 9000 are available.

M & F: How many of each? I'm guessing a 70-30 ratio.

Design: So far do not like the ring that separates the barrel from the section. Might limit sales as many expect a true reissue of the original Myu. A nagging thought is whether this is a mans or womans pen. The more I consider this, the ring and jewel (I've not seen decent pictures of this) appear to be a gesture to reach out to womens. Would appreciate thoughts from female readers.

Performance: Without one in hand is difficult to assess. Nib looks like the original. Pilot has reused/reissued exact nib designs before so it should be the same. The Myu came in two general nib varieties that I will call first and second. Barrel designs too but, this can wait another time. The earliest nibs seem to my hand to be softer, smoother writers than those found from about 1974. Am assuming the later design is used.

Cannot wait for the roll-out and hear the feedback.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

For me the whole point of the Myu elegance is that there is nothing between the barrel and the section. I'm curious to see the new one though.

Well, I'm number 2 on the Ujuku reservation list (surprised that there weren't more ahead of me). So now just waiting for the end of October or so, when the new pen arrives. Will let you know the outcome.

FWIW, most seem to be ordering just one. One person ordered two M and a F -- must be a family of MYU mavens.

Edited by BillTheEditor

Wow... it's so close to the original, except for that raised ring. I wonder if they stuck to the original tooling. If so... I'm not going to be an early adopter. In fact, if this ends up forcing the 70's production version down in price, I'd rather get one of those instead! :lol: However, if they did change the tooling... maybe a little thicker, longer, or both, then I'll be very tempted.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Wow... it's so close to the original, except for that raised ring. I wonder if they stuck to the original tooling. If so... I'm not going to be an early adopter. In fact, if this ends up forcing the 70's production version down in price, I'd rather get one of those instead! :lol: However, if they did change the tooling... maybe a little thicker, longer, or both, then I'll be very tempted.

I guess I'm just looking at this "reissue" as a rather large limited edition in its own right. If it does drive down the price of the 70s version, I'll pick up one of those as well. :thumbup:

Wonder why it didn't sell well. Was it not a good writer? From what I can tell just from the pictures, it looks gorgeous!

Hi,

9000 is a lot of pieces. I hope it is a very popular piece and gets sold out. Then, maybe Pilot will consider making more. I know that it didn't sell well at all when first released.

Dillon

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Well, I'm number 2 on the Ujuku reservation list (surprised that there weren't more ahead of me). So now just waiting for the end of October or so, when the new pen arrives. Will let you know the outcome.

FWIW, most seem to be ordering just one. One person ordered two M and a F -- must be a family of MYU mavens.

Yah...i'm on the list too. People keep talking about the blue jewel. I don't see no blue jewel on the pictures. Or am I blind?

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

How do you know your on the list. I signed up, but didn't receive any type of notification!

Go to http://ujuku.ath.cx/ujuku-shop/kaimono/fou...inpen/Myu-1.htm and look for your initials and order details.

I got an email verification from Tadashi Yamada. Might send an email inquiry to ujuku@mxi.netwave.or.jp if you don't see your initials on the list.