Eclipse Fountain Pen & Pencil Company

Maja

[quote=! I don't know why pens from Nova Scotia would cost so much.... :lol:

Sadly, Maja, I don't think Richard has any pens from Nova Scotia. ;-)

The answer to all life's secrets are found in your own creativity.

-unknown

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robertaia

• Maja

• Johnny Appleseed

• covertpen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, ha... :lol:

Nice purchase on the mottled RHR Eclipse (and with a Mottishaw'd stub nib) ....That is a great deal :)

As for prices, yeah, vintage pens in great condition from reputable online dealers will tend to bring premium prices vs. pens from Ebay sellers who may not know what they are selling. It's nice to know that if you really want a great pen in great shape, then there is an alternative to chancing it on the 'Bay (although I got a few quasi-sumgal finds there)

• 8 months later...

A great thread of info on Tully and Eclipse! (Thanks..).

Just for fun, here is the info off of my Tully:

TULLY PREFER-A-Point <-- Clip ("TULLY" enclosed in an oval )

and "Point" in script

AN Eclipse PRODUCT <--- Body ("Eclipse" in script with )

MADE IN TORONTO CANADA

TULLY

FINE

IRIDIUM <----Nib ( "TULLY" in the oval)

TIPPED

CANADA

Check the attached pic......Cheers..Pat F.

post-22-1129154309_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Pat. It's always good to see some more info added to this thread. Being a Canadian, the history of the Eclipse Pen Co. is something that interests me quite a bit. :)

I've never seen one of those before, but the clip on your Tully pen is a dead-ringer for the one on my Eclipse "Hooded Knight" model pen :o (ie. same clip, different imprint)

Cheers,

~Maja

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All:

I'm new to the site, today in fact, I also have an interest in the Eclipse Pen Company. I have over a hundred of the pens, all different. Maja, I have been corresponding with John for almoat a year and we trade a few pictures. He is most knowledgable on this subject.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Keep them coming!

Robert

Thought I would share this Eclipse I picked up off the bay last week. A beautiful pen with no brassing of the gold-filled overlay that I can see. The black is very black, with a few scratches.

It has a nice, flexi Warrented #4 nib, but needs a j-bar and is a bit of a stingy feeder - definitely doesn't keep up with the flex of the nib. Need to work on it a bit.

Nothing on the imprint clues me in on whether it is the US Eclipse or Canadian, but I am suspecting it's a US one. Great pen, and so glad there are threads like this to fill in a little history of these lesser known pens.

JA

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Eclipse.jpg

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

A very nice pen Johnny.

Here are a few Eclipse Pens that I have. I beleive the gold overlays and filigrees as well as teh oversized overlays all were US made.

post-22-1131572561_thumb.jpg

Nice collection.

And it looks like they come in Lapis too B)

JA

BTW - my Eclipse skips much less when it's not on its last drop of ink :doh:

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

JA

Thank you.

Those photos were taken several months ago and now there are some others to photograph. Yes, there is a blue filgree in the batch as well as a few solid blue ones, both chased and unchased. All of mine work but I don't use them on a day-to-day basis. I have done some of the repairs and have a few repaired.

I have a large black oversized Sheaffer Flattop that I really like to use on a daily basis.

Do you have other Eclipse pens?

Robertaia

Hi Robertaia,

That is, alas, my only Eclipse - but I don't think it will remain that way forever.

Mine has a Warranted nib - how are the Eclipse nibs as writers?

John

- Dr Suess

John:

Eclipse used Warranted and Eclipse nibs in their pens.

As I mentioned I haven't used my Eclipses very much other a few oversized ones.

The ones that I have used, I can't really tell much difference. I have some without much flex and both with some flex. I think it's like all nibs, you have to find the one you like. I write rather fast so flex nibs don't work well for me most of the time.

I do hope you collect some more. The early pens such as yours and the oversized pens, if in really good condition, will compare rather well with the others of the day.

Robert

Robert,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier; the Internet was down last night :(

Anyway, THANK YOU so much for posting the photos of your Eclipse collection. There are some beautiful examples there :drool: It's always nice to know that someone else out there also appreciates a lesser-known vintage brand. You don't see that many photos of vintage Eclipses on the pen boards, so your photographs are a veritable feast for my eyes :) Please tell your friend John that if he is still planning on publishing a book on Eclipse pens and their sub-brands, that I would be very interested in getting one!

Johnny, congratulations on the pen! I am sure I saw it when I was surfing Ebay, but I had already bought two pens in the past month so my budget had been exceeded. :doh:

Thanks for the photos, gentlemen!

~Maja

P.S.

Has anyone seen a lot of all-metal Eclipse pens without clips? I have a gold-plated Eclipse lever-filler that is missing a clip (there are two vertical (edit: I meant horizontal!) slots that were meant for clip attachment). I recall someone on another pen board saying that the clips were an option at the time (1920s/30s?). In other words, you had to pay extra $ to have a clip added to your pen. Is this really true?

Edited by Maja

Maja;

Thank you for the kind words about my collection. There are probably a dozen or so more that I haven't photographed. I recently acquired 8 from a guy who was selling his grandfarther's sets, all in the original boxes. I'll try and get those photographed in a couple of weeks.

I sent John the info on the website. So I'm sure he'll post something that we can all learn something from.

I've never heard of the clips being an option not have I ever seen one with vertical slots. I just had a clip installed on a gold filled pen. It had a single horizontal slot and the clip was 'Z' shaped. When installed it was a single piece of metal that bent back to the top of the cap then bent again to form the clip. Eclipse pens are noterious for having the clips missing. They used the "Klein Clip" which was two horizontal slots through the cap. The ink caused these to corrode so that is why they are missing sometimes. They are hard to find. You have to by parts pens, but then you have to make sure the clip is the right lenght.

But such is the joy of pen collecting.

Please post some photos of your.

The pens with 'Tulley' on the clips are intersting. I don't have any of those.

Robert

I've never heard of the clips being an option not have I ever seen one with vertical slots.

<snip>

Eclipse pens are noterious for having the clips missing. They used the "Klein Clip" which was two horizontal slots through the cap. The ink caused these to corrode so that is why they are missing sometimes. They are hard to find. You have to by parts pens, but then you have to make sure the clip is the right lenght.

:blush:

Oops! I meant two small horizontal clip slots, as you described! :doh:

I must have been picturing the pen as it was when it was being held in my hand :rolleyes:

Yes, that is the one I meant, the "Klein clips". Thanks for answering my question!

My husband got a fancy camera a few weeks ago, but he takes 99.99% of his photos outside (landscapes, etc.) so he is embarassed about the indoor pen photos he has taken for me as he doesn't have proper lighting. Will have to wait for a sunny day here so I can take the pen collection outside for some natural light.

Looking forward to hearing from John about the Eclipse company.

Best wishes,

~Maja