Welcome to the Sheaffer Forum!

PenHero

Byron,

Beautiful lines praising Targa. I used a basic-most TARGA in steel for more than 20 years before it's feeder dropped out.

The remnants will always be with me.

Had a Legacy Heritage in palladium & Black-loved to write with cap off. Now, an All Black Legacy is on the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rafizip

• jar

• Don C

• Shyner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Byron,

Beautiful lines praising Targa. I used a basic-most TARGA in steel for more than 20 years before it's feeder dropped out.

The remnants will always be with me.

Had a Legacy Heritage in palladium & Black-loved to write with cap off. Now, an All Black Legacy is on the way.

:thumbup: +1

By the way, Sunil, as a piece of silly trivia, I notice that your name is an anagram of GRAIL GUNS. Considering your interest and your participation in this forum, perhaps your name would be more appropriate as SENIL GARP. Work it out ;)

No offence intended. Sometimes this brain of mine lets it's two brain-cells run amok over the silliest things!

Best wishes from a fellow Sheaffer fan.

Imperial.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

Just bought a barleycorn on Ebay and so looking forward to handling it. No, I won't be inking it although I really want to.

Byron

Go on, do yourself a favour. You know it was meant to be used. Why not do it, if only to express your delight and pleasure with it in the form of some lovely-coloured ink on good quality writing-paper?

Think of it as the pen enthusiast's equivalent of releasing a caged animal back into it's natural habitat ... perhaps causing you a little sadness or regret at setting your pen free (instead of thinking you are "soiling" your beautiful pen) but also feeling satisfaction and much enjoyment in allowing something to fulfill it's real purpose and be what it is meant to be.

Incidentally, your famous namesake, the writer and poet, once lived only a handful of miles from where I am living now.

I wonder if anyone has ever produced a Byron pen?

S.F.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

• 1 month later...

50 years back In India only two pen brands were coveted Parker and Sheaffers. For most Indians Montblanc, Conway Stewart , Pelikan etc did not exist. So when I got married 36 years back I got a Sheaffers fountain pen with inlaid nib as gift from my father in law. The pen wrote so smoothly. But unfortunately I lost the pen.

Years later when I bought a fountain pen, I was influenced by the norm among colleagues and bought a Montblanc 149. Another reason to go for MB was that there was an authorised dealer of MB in Mumbai but none existed for Sheaffers.

Now there is a multibrand outlet in India who also sell Sheaffers- only the low end Prelude. I bought a Prelude but did not get the pleasure of writing as I got from my first Sheaffers. So I kept it aside.

Now through Ebay I bought a Sheaffers Balance II (Cobalt Glow, NOS of ~1998)and find its feather touch nib very smooth.

I find the section tail threading is on resin as is on the barrel. So I am feeling tempted to use the pen as an ED pen (using little silicone grease if necessary as did for my Sheaffers No Nonsense pen.

Has anyone tried Balance II as ED pen? If yes, I would like their feedback before I throw away the ink-converter and apply the grease.

Hi, I have just come across a Sheaffer's Balance Limited edition Pen in mint uninked condition Complete with wooden Box & Ink, also all paperwork/certificate c1997, looks like new, the pen is still wrapped. I was just wondering if anybody would know the value of it. Best wishes June

This month I got a Sheaffers Balance II NOS of ~1998 Cobalt Glow for US$ 285.

Since the pen you are referring to is an LE add 30%- so $ 370 would be OK.

• 8 months later...

Hello all, Though my first pen wasn't a Sheaffer I must say that when I finally got my first one ( the Sheaffer 100 ) I was in love. Very smooth and fits my hand perfect. Now it's all I really look for and it's a great hobby of mine now to learn what I can about these pens and share them with others who have the same commitment to it. Can't wait to get to know you all better.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been used many pens during my Primary school to college life. from inexpensive to expensive.when I was a liitle child I do not cherish my pens, but when the time goes by,I gradually loved the pen. black ,white,and so on, and there have many beautiful cartoon characteristic on it. I love pen .I love what I have .

This is Sellwell small appliances factory. we provided all kinds of small appliances. such as ,electric ovens,electric fans,humidifiers,water ourifiers and so on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey!

I remember my Grandfather having a Sheaffer Fountain Pen and Ballpoint (Targa) - They were matt black with gold inlaid nib and that legendary white dot. My mother passed them on to me but sadly they went missing one day in a move. I was distraught. It's a couple of years since that day but now I intend to start a collection.

I have bought a Ballpoint Sheaffer Targa pen from eBay from a Trusted Seller and it is due to arrive any day now. I know that any collection won't even begin unless there is a fountain pen in it so I hope to purchase that soon.

I have researched various buying options and have found a few UK sellers still stocking Vintage Pens as well as Targa Classic/Slim Fountain Pens so I am hopeful.

The pen I have bought has the name Rosier engraved on it. I could just be a coincidence but didn't Jean-Louis Rosier and Louis Rosier win the 24 hour Le Mans in the 50s in a Targa car and I think, from my research, that the Targa was named after the Targa Florio Race or Car. Something like that.

Anyway just saying Hi really. This forum has provided me with some important information which I utalized in my decision in making my first purchase.

At the moment my plan is only to collect Sheaffer Targa as it's their design, balance and writing ability that I love about them. I will post some pictures when I receive it. I think its a 1003/05/07 but I am not sure. Will have to check back with some of you on that one. Until then Happy Sheaffering! (Can it be a verb? To Sheaffer? Well it is now!!)

:D

Lots of interesting people on here! Hope to speak to some of you!

Edited by TargaFlorio

My first foray into fountain pens was with a Sheaffer Triumph. I fell in love with it's nib from afar (ebay) and was thankfully blown away when it arrived. So delicate and so much history held within it's tines.

I went the same ebay route with my next four Sheaffers, a Touchdown, an Imperial, a Snorkel and a Fineliner. None were disappointments, all are gorgeous.

My latest was a pen I tried at a pen show here in London in October. An Intrigue. It is my most used Sheaffer and seriously underrated.

I'll post some pics soon.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Sheaffer and based on input I'm specifically looking at the Snorkel - the filling mechanism facinates me. My question to the group is: what things should I be looking for or questions I should be asking to increase my chances of getting a decent Snorkel?

Hello

Brought a very unusual Sheaffer PFM 5 yesterday. It looks to be a very early model. It has a black Laquered Metal Barrel, A gold filled cap with sheaffer imprinted in the side of the clip only. I have never seen this model before. Can anyone shed any light please?

Barry

Heritagecollectables.com

I'm looking at purchasing my first Sheaffer and based on input I'm specifically looking at the Snorkel - the filling mechanism facinates me. My question to the group is: what things should I be looking for or questions I should be asking to increase my chances of getting a decent Snorkel?

Look for a reputable supplier. one that actually knows what they are doing, decide whether you want a Triumph or open nib.

Hello

Brought a very unusual Sheaffer PFM 5 yesterday. It looks to be a very early model. It has a black Laquered Metal Barrel, A gold filled cap with sheaffer imprinted in the side of the clip only. I have never seen this model before. Can anyone shed any light please?

Barry

Heritagecollectables.com

Welcome home Barry. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

It's almost certainly not a PFM, none of them had metal barrels except perhaps the few Masterpiece models which were gold.

How about a few good pictures of the pen in question?

Edited by jar

Look for a reputable supplier. one that actually knows what they are doing, decide whether you want a Triumph or open nib.

Okay, new terms for me - Triumph or open nib?

Okay, I just bought my first Sheaffer - a Snorkel; I'm excited to get it and give it a try; any thing I should be aware of in using this pen? Any Lessons Learned?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I have a Sheaffer jade green color FP, Gold clip and white dot on top and the matching pencil given to me in a box of old pens from a friend. It is stained dark from ink. I saw a poster from 1926 advertising this set and wonder if it is worth salvaging. I was considering using it as a pen to take dissect and see what's in there - unless is valuable to Sheaffer lovers out there. Any clues?

Edited by Shyner

I have a Sheaffer jade green color FP, Gold clip and white dot on top and the matching pencil given to me in a box of old pens from a friend. It is stained dark from ink. I saw a poster from 1926 advertising this set and wonder if it is worth salvaging. I was considering using it as a pen to take dissect and see what's in there - unless is valuable to Sheaffer lovers out there. Any clues?

Yes it is very much worth salvaging. Contact Danny Fudge.