show us pics of your desk

davyr

Thank you. Others in my office insist it is too clutttery.

Well you know what they say about what a clean desk indicates...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• amberleadavis

• ZachWasniak

• Blade Runner

Well you know what they say about what a clean desk indicates...

Too little to do!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I don't know a whole lot about foreign educational systems (I live in Greece). I just figured -judging from the desk set up- that your wife is probably delicate, educated, interested in arts and litterature, perhaps witty etc..

You 're right about MacOS being unix based, but come on, you know when we say "unix-based" we're talking linux!!!!! :P

(yes, i am kind of a fangirl..)

All these aside, I must admit I am pretty jealous of some of the study areas I have seen in this thread (both of yours included).

Unfortunately I have neither the space nor the money to create something really cool, but I am "stealing" ideas from everyone here and I am trying to find an economical way to pretty up my room.

You don't need money to create a great workspace, you need a vision. I've seen some great stuff done with old doors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is my favorite post on this board! so much character. I am surprised how much you can tell about a person from their desk!

I love these pictures!

This is my favorite post on this board! so much character. I am surprised how much you can tell about a person from their desk!

I love these pictures!

Welcome aboard! Please show us a picture of your desk.

Long ago, I posted my "desk". It was really a TV tray in a living room. Since then, I've purchased a lap desk. However, I wanted to let those who advised me know that I took some advice. I reversed the couch and love seat and I put an extender on the heat vent. I couldn't get the two pieces of furniture to touch because of the structure of the room and the nature of the furniture. However, I've given up on putting in a desk. The lap desk is great!

I have an enormous bedroom. This may be hard to believe in a one-bedroom 675 square foot house. But, the house had two tiny bedrooms and the previous owner took out the wall between them. I'm now considering using the closet and a sort of dresser as a divider to create a generous bedroom and a small office area. It won't be grandiose, but I hope to fill it with bookshelves, a small desk, and a window seat. I have to admit that this thread gave me ideas for the office.

The house is small, and I can't get around that. Luckily, I prefer small and cozy. I detest the previous owner's closet solution (open shelves in a corner of the enormous bedroom). I hope to create something smaller and more modest and closed off roughly where the old wall was. It will eat into the space that was one of the two old bedrooms. But, I'm ok with that. Keep the word "small" in mind.

This is roughly the space, though the picture does not show the window. The line in the ceiling is where I would start the closet, etc.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6784310431_2d61fa604e_z.jpg

This shows the bedroom side.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7022/6784309135_ea067e3a4c_z.jpg

From the living room you can see what were the two original doors to the two bedrooms. I would like to wall off the left-hand door and create built-in bookshelves for the living room. The section around the door would be floor to ceiling. The portions located where the existing shelves are would be approximately the height of what is already there. The right-hand door would open into a tiny office/library and a further pocket door would open into the bedroom. I see myself leaving the pocket door open most of the time so I can get eastern sunlight in the morning to help me wake up.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6784319177_f223f62aaf_z.jpg

This last picture shows the outside. The left-hand window is into the living room. The right-hand window would be the one with the window seat. Yes, it's a small house, but I've truly fallen in love with it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6784321401_dbe686fd0f_z.jpg

By the way, I am well aware that the house needs trim. That is one of many projects the previous owner left incomplete. This summer I plan to replace the front door and back door, and I plan to install trim along with that project. I have also done a lot of landscaping work on the outside since I took this picture (about a week after I moved in). The house is small, and the floorplan isn't perfect, but it really does have a lot of potential. Of all the places I've lived, I place this one in the top 2.

I may have to post my school desk just so you all can see that I can create a workspace. Fun fact: the room was designed without any place for the teacher! I successfully created a place out of furniture salvaged from a district that closed 8 years ago. I'll have to try to photograph my creation.

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Long ago, I posted my "desk". It was really a TV tray in a living room. Since then, I've purchased a lap desk. However, I wanted to let those who advised me know that I took some advice. I reversed the couch and love seat and I put an extender on the heat vent. I couldn't get the two pieces of furniture to touch because of the structure of the room and the nature of the furniture. However, I've given up on putting in a desk. The lap desk is great!

I have an enormous bedroom. This may be hard to believe in a one-bedroom 675 square foot house. But, the house had two tiny bedrooms and the previous owner took out the wall between them. I'm now considering using the closet and a sort of dresser as a divider to create a generous bedroom and a small office area. It won't be grandiose, but I hope to fill it with bookshelves, a small desk, and a window seat. I have to admit that this thread gave me ideas for the office.

The house is small, and I can't get around that. Luckily, I prefer small and cozy. I detest the previous owner's closet solution (open shelves in a corner of the enormous bedroom). I hope to create something smaller and more modest and closed off roughly where the old wall was. It will eat into the space that was one of the two old bedrooms. But, I'm ok with that. Keep the word "small" in mind.

This is roughly the space, though the picture does not show the window. The line in the ceiling is where I would start the closet, etc.

From the living room you can see what were the two original doors to the two bedrooms. I would like to wall off the left-hand door and create built-in bookshelves for the living room. The section around the door would be floor to ceiling. The portions located where the existing shelves are would be approximately the height of what is already there. The right-hand door would open into a tiny office/library and a further pocket door would open into the bedroom. I see myself leaving the pocket door open most of the time so I can get eastern sunlight in the morning to help me wake up.

This last picture shows the outside. The left-hand window is into the living room. The right-hand window would be the one with the window seat. Yes, it's a small house, but I've truly fallen in love with it.

By the way, I am well aware that the house needs trim. That is one of many projects the previous owner left incomplete. This summer I plan to replace the front door and back door, and I plan to install trim along with that project. I have also done a lot of landscaping work on the outside since I took this picture (about a week after I moved in). The house is small, and the floorplan isn't perfect, but it really does have a lot of potential. Of all the places I've lived, I place this one in the top 2.

I may have to post my school desk just so you all can see that I can create a workspace. Fun fact: the room was designed without any place for the teacher! I successfully created a place out of furniture salvaged from a district that closed 8 years ago. I'll have to try to photograph my creation.

I love your house, and in the UK that would be considered a fairly standard size 2-bed house. We build small over here! :)

Verba volant, scripta manent

just do a quick google search for wooden board for a rough idea my current set up. my dad has my actual desk right now, and its got boxes and stuff on it now. I want to get it back and get it set up in a small basic home recording studio. ill post pics of that when that happens, if I can ever find my camera.

Edited by kingcobradude

I recently got rid of some awful old '70s brown chipboard furniture in my bedroom and replaced it with this Ikea desk and two small chests of drawers. The cube shelves at the back are by Cubeicals. It doesn't have the character and beauty of some of the lovely antique desks in this thread, but it's practical. I don't have a computer in my bedroom, so it's just for writing and drawing etc.

post-41470-0-54820600-1390322795.jpg

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

@fountainpagan,

It's an old American Tourister lap desk that I got from ebay years ago for 8 dollars. It had been stored for decades, and initially the lid wouldn't stay open. But after leaning a small book against it overnight it now stays open on its own. I also cut the tab off, because it got in the way, and use a cloth elastic to secure the lid. Now it's perfect for my purposes.

You only need Montaigne and Thoreau books in there. Fine house.

@

Waski_the_Squirrel

You have done a great job. I lived in a house just about that size and made the second bedroom into a closet. I love the hardwood floors and truly you are doing it on a vision!

Here's a portable lap desk from the pre-computer era. It has a cushiony felt interior that's a nice writing surface and storage for stationery in the lid. Fun to use at cafes next to those with computer laptops. : - )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_1805_zps185b134c.jpg

I love it!

I recently got rid of some awful old '70s brown chipboard furniture in my bedroom and replaced it with this Ikea desk and two small chests of drawers. The cube shelves at the back are by Cubeicals. It doesn't have the character and beauty of some of the lovely antique desks in this thread, but it's practical. I don't have a computer in my bedroom, so it's just for writing and drawing etc.

attachicon.gifP1000943.JPG

attachicon.gifP1000945.JPG

This is great!!! Good job using space well. I love those cubicles.

So, does anyone recognize the inkwell on this clearly unused desk?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_pE93ufYubA/UgWgAyU0wZI/AAAAAAAAvFQ/-ZWmkjqD_T0/s1600/image.jpg

How about this one?

http://www.artsatl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/President_Snow_Office_Capitolites.jpg

Shangas - what kind of typewriter is that? I love the keys!

The Typewriter is an Underwood Standard Portable, ca. 1929. It's a lovely machine, and a joy to use. I type my diary-entries on it.

Here's a closeup of the keys, for you:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/Fruffles/Typewriter/IMG_0400_zpsbca490fc.jpg

They're paper discs topped with glass, sealed in place by (chrome? or Nickel)-plated steel rings. Old-fashioned typewriter-keys like that are very rare these days. They stopped making them after WWII.

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques