• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• amberleadavis

• ZachWasniak

• Blade Runner

It's a fine desk, to be sure. You should be very proud of it.

I am. No doubt about that.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

-John Quincy Adams

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."

-John Lennon

Beautiful desk, Zach. Welcome to the roll-top club!

Dale

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living." Theodore Roosevelt

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

Dale

Just noticed your name, Dale.

Would've been just the thing had your surname been 'King'.

Just imagine being able to introduce yourself genuinely as Daleking or DaleK.

That's one (or two) for Who's Who ... in this case, Doctor Who's Who ;)

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

Dale

Thanks, been waiting a while for someone to say that. Proud to own a Roll Top.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

-John Quincy Adams

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."

-John Lennon

• 2 weeks later...

Wrote a couple letters tonight on a desk I restored a couple years ago.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/centurycigar/F01C06B5-E534-4813-A891-4AA87D03CDF4-2302-000001D9438E41A0_zps4c8bc16d.jpg

"As the purse is emptied, the heart is filled." -- Victor Hugo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/centurycigar/2j26aaa_zpsf21706be.png

Thanks to everyone for your photos of all these amazing desks and workspaces, I love looking at this thread.

I am a fan of "mid-century modern" design and feel privileged to have a large home office that still relaxes and inspires me every day after 10 years. (Although the wall colour needs to be changed as it's a legacy of when my daughter was little and before she moved into a different bedroom 10 years ago. Oh well, some things take time.)

The small desk is the space I use to inspire creative thinking and problem-solving. It is next to a large window that looks down onto the garden and facing north, it gets sun all day (although it is often too hot in summer). The larger workstation is for more mundane day to day work. I enjoy working in both spaces.

I have a large walk-in storage space set up for files, books, stationery etc as well as a credenza on the 4th wall that allows me to dump the piles of clutter out of site at the end of the day. It's a wonderful, peaceful room and in winter when it's cold and wet I can look out the window and watch the world go bycloud9.gif.

post-85009-0-02473100-1363399956.jpg

post-85009-0-03246600-1363400243.jpg

Hi,

My desk, my pen storage chests and my stationery cupboard:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz94/scavaci/DSC_1983_zpsdc62c7b9.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz94/scavaci/DSC_1981_zps3d07d223.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz94/scavaci/DSC_1982_zpsf770f91c.jpg

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

Newjelan,

I love that little storage unit in the 2nd picture. Is the desk in your first picture where you declutter your mind?

Matt

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

1363432718[/url]' post='2630075']

Newjelan,

I love that little storage unit in the 2nd picture. Is the desk in your first picture where you declutter your mind?

Matt

Thanks Matt,

What a great memory you have!

Yes that desk is where I declutter my mind. it is a George Nelson Swag Desk and the unit is also by George Nelson (all made by Herman Miller). One chair is a George Nelson Swag chair and the one on casters is an Eames. The storage unit is beautiful and full of small items of office stationery. I still smile every time I enter that room even after 10 years. cloud9.gif

1363407033[/url]' post='2629880']

Hi,

My desk, my pen storage chests and my stationery cupboard:

Love those pen boxes Gary

Thanks to everyone for your photos of all these amazing desks and workspaces, I love looking at this thread.

I am a fan of "mid-century modern" design and feel privileged to have a large home office that still relaxes and inspires me every day after 10 years. (Although the wall colour needs to be changed as it's a legacy of when my daughter was little and before she moved into a different bedroom 10 years ago. Oh well, some things take time.)

The small desk is the space I use to inspire creative thinking and problem-solving. It is next to a large window that looks down onto the garden and facing north, it gets sun all day (although it is often too hot in summer). The larger workstation is for more mundane day to day work. I enjoy working in both spaces.

I have a large walk-in storage space set up for files, books, stationery etc as well as a credenza on the 4th wall that allows me to dump the piles of clutter out of site at the end of the day. It's a wonderful, peaceful room and in winter when it's cold and wet I can look out the window and watch the world go bycloud9.gif.

post-85009-0-02473100-1363399956.jpg

post-85009-0-03246600-1363400243.jpg

ooh, sounds like bliss :) Especially the winter scene, nothing quite like having the space to make the most of the wet and rainy weather.

I'm getting more and more convinced I'd do well with a similar arrangement of two desks, in my case one for grunt work and filing/storage and one for stuff that requires more concentration and big-picture thinking. Any feedback/cautionary tales/advice/ideas on that? I first got the notion myself about, hmm, 3-4 months ago? Sometime towards late November/early December, I reckon, when as I was tidying up my desk one evening I realized I had about twice the work surface than I used on small tasks, yet half what I needed for larger tasks. Since then I've been looking around for ideas and such, but it doesn't seem to be awfully commonplace an arrangement, so this is the first time I've come across someone who's doing it! Can I please pick your brain? :)

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

1364007168[/url]' post='2637206']

ooh, sounds like bliss :) Especially the winter scene, nothing quite like having the space to make the most of the wet and rainy weather.

I'm getting more and more convinced I'd do well with a similar arrangement of two desks, in my case one for grunt work and filing/storage and one for stuff that requires more concentration and big-picture thinking. Any feedback/cautionary tales/advice/ideas on that? I first got the notion myself about, hmm, 3-4 months ago? Sometime towards late November/early December, I reckon, when as I was tidying up my desk one evening I realized I had about twice the work surface than I used on small tasks, yet half what I needed for larger tasks. Since then I've been looking around for ideas and such, but it doesn't seem to be awfully commonplace an arrangement, so this is the first time I've come across someone who's doing it! Can I please pick your brain? :)

Absolutely, Plume145! It works for me because the 2 different spaces mean I automatically switch modes when I switch desks. (I also have an armchair with footstool for reading & thinking.) The work desk faces away from the window and minimises distractions. It also allows me to spread my work out on the desk and around me on the floor. (Being a visual person I need to be able to see all the things I am working on at once.)

The smaller desk was the first purchase and everything else was inspired by that. It's a beautiful piece (not entirely practical) but the beauty of the design and adequate functionality provides inspiration to think and write as well as space to use my small laptop or iPad if I need to do something technology based rather than moving back to the other space and getting bogged down in the day to day.

Cheers, Newjelan

You want messy ? :D

Wow, this looks nice! Where did you find this...this... desktop top...uh, how do you call this? This little piece of furniture to write on? I've never seen such a ...

Would you post some more pictures of it? What is inside? Ink, pens? Is it comfortable to write on this?

Kind regards,

Tom

P.S: Usually I am able to write complete sentences without any ...

Oops, now I read some more posts about it which I didn't in my first astonishment.

Edited by TomJKT

For sale: M625 red/silver, P395 gold, Delta Fellini.

I had a really unexpected surprise when I had my taxes done this year and immediately thought of going on a pen spree :roflmho: Instead, my partner convinced me that I needed a new desk: "wouldn't you want to use those nice pens on a nice desk, something inspiring?" Around the beginning of the year we stumbled upon a small antique / vintage store and somehow the first thing that my eyes led me to was a beautiful old desk, somewhat small, but adequate for my needs. I looked at the tags: Signed Stickley, Early ca. 1903-1904, 'Postcard Desk,' along with the PRICE TAG!! :yikes:

Happily I was seriously blessed with my tax refund and took the advice. I decided to get the desk. I was using a small student-style desk that had been mine in high school. It had certainly run its course. The new desk however is an inspiring and beautiful piece of work and I am happy every time I spread my hands across its century-old surface and stop to pick up another favorite pen. I am so thankful.

Here's the beauty: (for size comparison the pens are a MB 149, YOL Viceroy Grand, Pelikan m101N tortoise and Kaweco Classic Sport).

post-40260-0-30350300-1364704366.jpg

post-40260-0-44744200-1364704389.jpg

I'm really jealous of the workspaces some of you have! At least you've all given me great inspiration when I have the funds and the living space for an actual study. My current place is tiny, and so, despite my age, I wound up having bought a kid's loft bed with a desk underneath so I can make better use of my room's vertical space.

post-96515-0-81979500-1364704507.jpg

I do like it, although I wished they had a model with a queen or even a full-size, and not just a twin. I would have enjoyed the extra width of the desk with that larger size, as well as more comfortable sleeping area up top. But, having lived in Japan, I can make do with a twin-sized bed. I like my desk more now that I've stopped banging my head on the "ceiling" every week. The real issue is when I've come home knackered from work and I can't be bothered climbing up the ladder, so I just wind up passing out on my carpet, haha.