Pen Brands World Wide

Gerry

Hi,

Dux, Doctor, and Guanleming are a Hero sub-brands.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my renumbering and addition of a few pens. Note we're over the 1000 mark.

Best.

Gerry

Hi Gerry, I can vouch for the following makes because I have either got them in front of me or I have owned them in the recent and recorded past if that is any use to you? here goes;-

Centropen-Czechoslovakia, whether Czech or Slovak can't say-50's, i saw several on a visit relatives in Poland

Champion-Austria-lever filler-20'/30's

Diplomat-Germany-piston filler-30's-?50's poss later

Excelsior-Germany-p/f-30's poss into 50's

Geha-Germany-p/f-30's-50's

Luxor-Germany-p/f-30's-40's poss later.

Senator-Germany-p/f-40'-50's poss later, connected to Diplomat, same deer over mountain logo on both.

Tropen-Germany-p/f-30's-40's.

Also there is the brand Imperator, not in the Megalist another German,p/f doing its best to look like a 50's Pelikan, and Tchaibo another piston filler, probably from Germany but I haven't had chance to get a close look yet, another on trying to look like a 50's Pelikan but probably made more recently than that judging by the presentation box, that looks as though it might come from a long way further east than Germany.

I can also vouch for Soma, France, l/f,b/f's with funny concertina sac, not a very nice system.

Unic, and their sub-brand Stylomine,France, b/f, nice nibs to use, crappy plating.

Ratnam, India, e/d, wing sun copy of Sheaffer Triumph nib, mine is 1947 but the company is still going today.

Then there are the British brands,

Summit,UK, brand by Curzon's,l/f,30's-50's.

Stephens,UK,l/f, made by company who made their own ink, ink better known than the pens.

Mentmore,UK,l/f, 20's-50'smade pens under several names inc. Platignum 50's-70.

I don't know if that is the sort of info you meant by vouching for a brand but I hope it is of use. I'll go and have another scout about and see what else I can come up with, it keeps me out of trouble.

Oxonian.

I am assuming that no one needs to vouch for makes like Dupont, Nettuno et al, the unusual but well known makes

I'm working on a customers pen right now & don't see it on the list. It's a BCHR "Skidmore Pen" Made in Toledo Ohio.

It's a nice pen with nickel trim & fitted with a sweet #2 Waterman's flexi nib. The nib is more likely than not a replacement.

Dennis

Hi Gerry, I can vouch for the following makes because I have either got them in front of me or I have owned them in the recent and recorded past if that is any use to you? here goes;-

[snip]

I don't know if that is the sort of info you meant by vouching for a brand but I hope it is of use. I'll go and have another scout about and see what else I can come up with, it keeps me out of trouble.

Oxonian.

I am assuming that no one needs to vouch for makes like Dupont, Nettuno et al, the unusual but well known makes

That's exactly what I mean about vouching for a pen. Although not exactly a pedigree.. :) the process removes the problem with large lists collected from other lists - an uncertainty about whether the name is just a propagation of an earlier mistake made in some transcription. Although Max did a wonderful job of getting the list started, he did mention that there were contributions by many people, and he wasn't sure whether they all were correct. Now I'm importing that llist, and am one degree removed from Max's references. So, I think the list is improved by recording pens people have owned or seen and are willing to state that. I don't want to take anything away from an original submitter - so I'm concentrating on those pens in Max's name or without a contributor. For the others, I might consider having two names recorded.

Anyway, I thank you very much for taking the time to put together your list, and will spend the time to get it into the list.

Although I'm not an Access expert, this is looking like an Access application just begging to be implemented. It can easily be ported anytime as Access works well with Excel, and would start off running...

But I digress (and I of course would have to seek permission before venturing into that territory) <_<

Of course, you're right about the well known makes - I assume no one will doubt Parker exists. <_<

The question arises when I see a Ford and a Ford's. Currently I leave both, but since one person owns up to a Ford's - that gets the nod for a verified sighting. The other remains questionable...

I want to thank you specially for your contributions John, it's making my work both easier and pleasant, as we seem to be making considerable progress. You, Johnny, DWL, Dillo, Fontainbel and a few others are really making a difference.

Should anyone want my short form Excel Spreadsheet for input, I'd be happy to provide it, as it makes my job even easier if you submit that way. Along with the short form, you will obviously recieve the entire spreadsheet with all the entries to date. But you do need excel - preferably 2000.

Gerry

I'm working on a customers pen right now & don't see it on the list. It's a BCHR "Skidmore Pen"  Made in Toledo Ohio.

It's a nice pen with nickel trim & fitted with a sweet #2 Waterman's flexi nib. The nib is more likely than not a replacement.

Dennis

Hey Dennis - good catch. It'll fall just before Skidrow Pen...LOL.

I've got it on my new short list...

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi Gerry, it looks like both Ford's and Ford will have to stay I have a definite Ford,l/f,UK late 20's by appearance and materials, cheers Oxonian

Thanks Gerry for all of the updating on this. I will try to go through the list and validate what of the vintage stuff I can. There is a lot of info in some of the Fultz articles over at the old PenBid, and a few other places. There is a lot of basic info that can be filled in on some of the better-known companies at least.

Incidentally, there is a lot of room for growth for this. An administrator of another board claims to have a database of more than 2600 fountain pen brands and manufacturers, and from the way they popped up like mushrooms in the early 1900s, I believe it.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Thanks Gerry for all of the updating on this. I will try to go through the list and validate what of the vintage stuff I can. There is a lot of info in some of the Fultz articles over at the old PenBid, and a few other places. There is a lot of basic info that can be filled in on some of the better-known companies at least.

Incidentally, there is a lot of room for growth for this. An administrator of another board claims to have a database of more than 2600 fountain pen brands and manufacturers, and from the way they popped up like mushrooms in the early 1900s, I believe it.

John

I don't doubt that there are. We haven't yet scratched the surface of moderns, for example. But for an amateur effort, we've not done poorly with nearly one-half of those numbers.

What makes this different is the fact that it is a genuine co-operative effort of people who believe in the free exchange of information without restriction. That said, I acknowledge the likely advantage of the other database. Nevertheless, it may target the elite without appealing to the more common user/collector. I hope that we can fill that niche without conflict.

I really appreciate your effort to support this initiative John, as well as your measured responses elsewhere. I think you are among the few distinguished people that I think really care about FP's and the distribution of knowledge about pens without regard to attribution, credit or status. Don't know whether that's important in the full measure of things, but it is to me.

Thank you for your offer to assist us in our effort, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Gerry

Edited by Gerry

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/284/banker.jpg

LF/PP and all the rest is unknown...

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

What makes this different is the fact that it is a genuine co-operative effort of people who believe in the free exchange of information without restriction. That said, I acknowledge the likely advantage of the other database. Nevertheless, it may target the elite without appealing to the more common user/collector. I hope that we can fill that niche without conflict.

What makes this different is also that this actually has been released to the world, while the other has not - not even with passwords etc. In defense of the owner of that database, he says it is a project that he inherited from someone else who made him promised not to make it public, but he is trying to find a way. So in theory at least it is a matter of honor, not elitism (so far). I am sure, once it is made public, it will have free and open access :roflmho:

The FPN list is probably the only one of it's kind. I think the only other list I know out there is at W-B Pens and Watches, and it is less complete than this (though it has more information on a few brands).

I really appreciate your effort to support this initiative John, as well as your measured responses elsewhere. I think you are among the few distinguished people that I think really care about FP's and the distribution of knowledge about pens without regard to attribution, credit or status. Don't know whether that's important in the full measure of things, but it is to me.

:blush:

Well, thanks. I try at least. Though since most of what I know about fountain pens I have learned from others, I do try to give the credit to where I learned it from, and lead them there.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned The Harlin Pen Co?

I found a listing on eBay which shows a clear scan of a pen, box and instructions:

"The Lomond" in 'Mottled-Green'.

Made in Scotland. Patent Rights Pending.

Manufactured by The Harlin Pen Co. Ltd., Glasgow, C.I.

The pen has a polished cap and a hooded nib. Late 1950's - 1960's.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I've updated the list. Latest batch was from info gleaned from the WES site - all Conway Stewart Associated pens, plus the latest input from readers mentioned above...

We're up to 1191 entries.

Gerry

I've got one I haven't seen in the list.

A BCHR, lever-filler.

'Major Service'

It's imprinted on the clip and the end of the lever fill (similar to Waterman Ideal)

- Mark

Mark, I think you have the record. Shortest time between my revising the list and you submitting a new pen not on the list. 26 minutes. :lol:

I have your find on the new short list. Will publish when there are a few more collected.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi,

More research turns this up

279 (Dux) is meant to be replaced by entry 278.

Wen Zhong and Yong Feng is another Hero sub-brand.

Youth is another Chinese brand that fell apart after Parker sued them and formed into Hero.

Guanleming is not a Hero subrand but it is in China.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi Gerry, A few more names for the Mega-list, a couple of sightings and a couple that I have just got my hands on,

Artograph, a streamline shaped, 30's looking, l/f. coffee/brown veined plastic,g/p clip etc.

Bardrec, poss. German, a slim parallel sided enamel over metal pen, (looks a bit like a Hastil) Internat'l c/f,conv/f, with Reform nib.Recent addition.

Hoover,de luxe model, b/f, streamlined shaped blue/black laminated plastic, with black end caps, g/f clip and cap. Recent addition.

Justice, flat-top, cream with black veining. l/f, g/p trim, washer type clip, this was an e-bay sighting. I missed the end time due to a phone call. :doh:

Selsdon, UK, BHR/ G/p clip etc, l/f, 1930's looking box and pen, an e-bay sighting. I'll ignore the phone this time. :eureka:

The Gnome Pen, Aluminium/Aluminum shelled pen, chromed clip etc, b/f an e-bay sighting, no closer inspection planned.

As we seem to have a few retailers specials creeping in to the the Megalist i thought that you might like to add James McLean of 12 Woodside Terrace, Glasgow 3, Scotland who appears to have had pens made for him from about 1910 through 1930'ish, I have just got a large wood grain/ripple finish red/black HR, heavy g/f, lever, clip and top and bottom cap bands with black cap and barrel finials, l/f. I know of 2 other pens bearing his name imprinted on the barrel, so I think it might be safe to assume that he wasn't just a large user of pens and happened to have got his hands on a pen imprinter or burner.

Keep up the good work, all the best

Oxonian.