Squeeky Vanishing Point

Onion

I have a Pilot Vanishing point with a medium nib that is very squeeky when I write with it. It is the only fountain pen I own that has this problem. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this. It is fairly new, just a couple of months old and has done this since I got it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Onion

• garythepenman

• saturation

• Stephen-I-am

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johnny,

I've seen a few posts about squeeky VP's. Is it a mechanical squeek or the nib on paper squeek ?.

I have a few vintage pens where the nibs are so smooth after years of writing the nibs' squeek on the paper. This is a good thing IMHO.

Maybe I should leave some cheese nearby :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

it is squeeky on the paper as I am writing. Drives me nuts!!!LOL I have tried different inks, different paper... didn't make a difference.... but if you say it is a good thing to have a pen squeek, I will just keep that in mind when I am using it. lol

Edited by Johnny Mannion

My new one squeaks too. I hear that the squeak goes away with a little use.

Mine is having its nib modified, so I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

I have one w/medium nib also and try as I might I can't make it squeak -- it would be so much fun! I've just tried it on different papers, different pressure, different angle and grip, etc. -- no squeak. I've always had it filled with Private Reserve Midnight Blues, maybe it's a "mute" ink. What are you using? Maybe I need to try that.

Doug

My new one squeaks too. I hear that the squeak goes away with a little use.

Mine is having its nib modified, so I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Stephen

I've had similar experiances with two different nibs. It went away within a day or two, however annoying it may be.

I've had an M nib VP for about half a year. It used to squeak a lot. Now it hardly squeaks at all. It did squeak once today, and it reminded me of how often it used to squeak before.

It would seem to me that these VPs are quirky little buggers... (quwuuhky li'l bugguhs) lol

Hey Johnny,

I've just checked out your website..Very cool ..blues..yehaaaa !.

I'm a big Alvin Lee fan myself, now he's a dude that can play a big red and it ain't a Parker pen. ;)

Now if you could get your pen to squeek in tune... :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

I would like to eventually find out what the root problem is though.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I'm not sure what it is about the VP, but they do squeek when new; however, the squeek eventually goes away the more you use the pen.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Mine squeeked at first, too, but rarely does now. I once read someone here on FPN (but I have no recollection who - sorry!) say that their VP 'sang across the page' as they wrote. I had to smile - it puts a whole different spin on things! :D (the comment might have been made about fine points and toothiness, but it immediately made me think of the squeek! :lol: )

Ryan.

Have a medium - squeeked with WM and Noodlers at first, but now with some use, it does it a lot less and will probably continue to decrease with use.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Just to add to the fold: My new VP with a medium nib does not squeak at all. I'm using standard Namiki blue cartridges for ink. I read in another thread about the squeaking being due to a combination of newness of nib and the ink being used. I think that Noodler's was one of the culprits. I think this same thread mentioned that the person had no squeaking when using standard Namiki ink. I don't recall if they were using carts or using the converter.

After manufacture some nibs have a residue coating of a shellac like compound. It often feels toothy or scratchy when you get a new pen and try it on paper.

The issue is not ink related. There should be no problem using any fountain pen ink.

To get rid of it, just make lots of stroke on a paper until the coating wears away. Once its down to the metal, its as smooth as can be.

I own 2 VP, and 4 nibs, I use 3 regularly.

A Namiki medium from 1990s [which is finer than the Pilot medium for 2003 series Pilot VP] which I find too fine, a broad, and 2 Pilot Mediums. I use the pen a lot as a workhorse. I use the broad on days I primarily sign papers, and the mediums for everyday work.

I switch between the 2 mediums for maintenance: after a few months, I'll flush and clean one medium assembly while using the other.

I have a 2003 Pilot VP and a Namiki VP [ from the 1990s].

Edited by saturation

Both my B and F nib VP's don't squeak. Maybe a bit at first, definitely not now. Use Noodler's Ottoman red and Aircorp Blue Black, and Aurora inks.

Love the VP. Great pen, most convenient, great value, replacable $20 nib/converter assembly, what's not to like. But if it squeaked, I would not like it. B)

I think that Noodler's was one of the culprits. I think this same thread mentioned that the person had no squeaking when using standard Namiki ink. I don't recall if they were using carts or using the converter.

i had just the opposite experience. my medium VP squeaked when I had the pilot cartridge in it. When I put other inks (currently, Noodler's squeteague) it seemed to resolve the problem somewhat. But essentially - time made the greater difference. Mine was a "nib on paper" squeak also - not the tines squeaking together. It reminded me of the squeak of a wet finger on a china dinner plate. some older US folks might remember a silly dishwashing liquid commercial of the 70s...

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room