Esterbrook SJ 9128 Nib

vermiculus

A few days ago, rummaging through my old stuff, I found virtually this same pen in the OP, with a 9128 nib. The sac is busted, so I'll replace that, no problem. But I have a couple questions:

-- I've read that there are two different versions of the 9128 nib. One has the "9128" across the breadth of the nib, and the other (like mine) has the "9128" running down the length of the nib. Which is yours?

-- More of a general Estie question: How much writing can you do, more or less, before refilling?

Oh yeah -- and finally: What black ink do people recommend for an Estie such as this one?

THANK YOU

Joe

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vermiculus

• Gran

• Joe Beamish

• ZeissIkon

A few days ago, rummaging through my old stuff, I found virtually this same pen in the OP, with a 9128 nib. The sac is busted, so I'll replace that, no problem. But I have a couple questions:

-- I've read that there are two different versions of the 9128 nib. One has the "9128" across the breadth of the nib, and the other (like mine) has the "9128" running down the length of the nib. Which is yours?

-- More of a general Estie question: How much writing can you do, more or less, before refilling?

Oh yeah -- and finally: What black ink do people recommend for an Estie such as this one?

THANK YOU

Joe

There are indeed two different stampings for Esterbrook nib units -- as I understand it, the ones with the numbers running lengthwise are the newer ones; the change, if I got this straight, occurred in the mid-1950s.

My J, with a somewhat worn 2556 (broader than your 9128, but without flex, which sucks up ink when you flex the tines open) goes around 10,000 words on a fill. Finer nibs usually will writer longer...

I'd suggest whatever ink you're comfortable with. If you're buying an ink to go in the pen, Noodler's Bulletproof Black is very nice, cleans out of pens well, and won't "weld" the nib unit into the section like some inks will (it doesn't bond -- at all -- to anything but cellulose; it'll just rinse off of plastics and metal). Don't worry about people warning about clogging with concentrated inks like PR and Noodler's; I've been using PR Ebony Green in my J for the six-seven weeks since I got it back with the new sac -- no flushing, just refilling every week or two, and writing with the pen every couple days -- and no problems, nor do I expect any. In fact, I have PR in all my pens except the one that takes cartridges (actually, that one's got a PR sample cart in it right now), and it hasn't caused trouble in any of them; I wouldn't expect Noodler's to be any worse.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

^ Good stuff -- thanks

Tonight I was writing with a Deluxe SM model and 1554 nib, and having a ball. What a great pen! It's filled with Pelikan Brilliant Black ink, which seems to work very nicely. (But I only filled the pen today.)

2 more questions:

-- What's PR ink?

-- Regarding Noodler's Bulletproof: You really make me want to try this ink. I've always wondered if it's too dense, but your post allays those concerns. I guess my other concern is getting it on my clothes. (I now realize this isn't a "question"....)

Noodler's bulletproof black is great stuff, but it exhibited a lot of nib creep when I tried using it with a 9550. I think I got the same thing with other Renew points, but can't absolutely say so.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Noodler's bulletproof black is great stuff, but it exhibited a lot of nib creep when I tried using it with a 9550. I think I got the same thing with other Renew points, but can't absolutely say so.

-- Brian

Both Noodler's and Private Reserve inks have a reputation for nib creep. In my pens, PR Ebony Blue and Ebony Green (the only colors of bottle ink I have so far) creep in about half of them. There are other factors that affect nib creep besides the ink, of course; the less "wettable" the surface of the nib is, and the less ink you leave on it after filling, the less creep you're likely to see. A trick for getting the ink off the nib after filling is to use a damp paper towel (rather than a dry one) to wipe the nib. Some folks go so far as to wax the nib to control creep (but don't get the wax into the slit, or the pen will stop writing entirely).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old but thank heavens I found it. Albeit too late! I passed on 2 of these beauties in the for sale forum because I didn't know anything about them. Guess I should have searched for this first. Now I am going to have to be on the hunt.

• 1 year later...

I just managed to get an Esterbrook yesterday in green -- I'm loving the way it writes and the nib is spectacular! It isn't the flex nib, though, and I'm currently looking for one. I'd also like to own a red Esterbrook. Know a place I could buy the nib (and possibly the pen) from? :)

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza