Waterman Havana Brown

vermiculus

I was surprised to find that this old favourite ink has only one review on the FPN, and that has unfortunately lost its picture. Time, I thought, to post my own - especially now I have access to a flatbed scanner!

Waterman's Havana Brown is a great ink. The colour is a lovely reddish brown, reminiscent of cigars and rosewood. It's readily available - almost as common as bottles of Quink - and comes in distinctively chiselled 30ml bottles at a fair price. Here, I've given comparisons of PR's Copper Burst and diamine's Sepia and Monaco Red.

The pen is The Shendish Pen (a wonderful old BHR Flexi) and the paper is Oxford's Optik 90gsm, which I think is an excellent staple.

This is my first review - I'm about to post six - and I'd appreciate feedback and questions.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/Vermiculus/reviews/scan0006.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Souldrifter

• vermiculus

• Scriptorium Pens

• CharlieB

I picked up a bottle of this a couple of weekends ago. I love this ink. It's just not waterproof, and around me... who tends to spill things... that's not a good thing. But, gosh, this ink looks lovely on some cream or ivory colored paper! Thanks for the lovely scan and review!

Oh well, that's why I am hopefully acquiring some FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown. ;)

Edited by Reginleif

Havana is my "go to" ink. A perfect review for a perfect ink. Thanks.

Reginleif - you'll enjoy the color and fastness of the FPN Galileo (it does have the expected nib creep though).

Nice review and excellent writing style. Too bad the Havana Brown is not waterproof, because from what I see in your writing sample the color seems to be a nice robust dark brown with good contrast. I'd like to compare Waterman Havana Brown with Private Reserve Chocolat and FPN-Noodlers Galileo Manuscript Brown.

I have used PR Chocolat before. Today I inked with Galileo's brown my Pelikan Sahara with a Binder medium cursive italic nib. In my writing, which is not as good as yours, Galileo Manuscript looks lighter than Chocolat, with a nice shade of redish brown on regular white office paper. So far Galileo is flowing wet and dries relatively fast. Can't post samples because I don't have a color scanner. :blush: Anyway, thanks for the Havana Brown review. :thumbup: I might buy a bottle just to try the color.

I love Waterman Havanna but I must admit that I don't use as often as I would like...I am a bit worried about what will people think at the office if they see me writing with this color. For most of them, I am already "original" enough by using these fountain pens!

But now that I have received a 2-pen case I am seriously thinking of taking to work one pen filled with Havanna and other with Waterman Blue or Quink black, so I have both options.

Anything written with Havanna looks to me so classy...

Havana is my "go to" ink. A perfect review for a perfect ink. Thanks.

Reginleif - you'll enjoy the color and fastness of the FPN Galileo (it does have the expected nib creep though).

It's been about 24 hours since I followed the directions and sent an email with an order. I'll give it another day or two before I inquire as to the status. I'm eager to try it even more, now. :) And nib creep... since the bulk of my ink collection consists of Noodler's bulletproof/waterproof inks, I'm used to it. Bleh. Oh well, small price to pay and it doesn't hurt the pen any.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for a nice review. I haven't used Havana for a while, I must order a new bottle.

I was surprised to find that this old favourite ink has only one review on the FPN, and that has unfortunately lost its picture. Time, I thought, to post my own - especially now I have access to a flatbed scanner!

Waterman's Havana Brown is a great ink. The colour is a lovely reddish brown, reminiscent of cigars and rosewood. It's readily available - almost as common as bottles of Quink - and comes in distinctively chiselled 30ml bottles at a fair price. Here, I've given comparisons of PR's Copper Burst and diamine's Sepia and Monaco Red.

The pen is The Shendish Pen (a wonderful old BHR Flexi) and the paper is Oxford's Optik 90gsm, which I think is an excellent staple.

This is my first review - I'm about to post six - and I'd appreciate feedback and questions.

Nice review of an old favourite of mine. I havent used this ink for a while as I am using Diamine Saddle Brown, which I think is very similar. I still have a bottle of Havana Brown though so I must load up a pen and try it again. I can't use this colour at work as I have had too many comments about it, so I am using Diamine Damson for work. Outside of work brown ink is still a love of mine.

I look forward to reading your other reviews

David

PS Love your hand writting

Edited by david6

Great review! Makes me think I should get a bottle - I have PR Copper Burst and I loved the comparison - Havana Brown, IMO, comes out looking better than Copper Burst :(

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

• 5 months later...
I love Waterman Havanna but I must admit that I don't use as often as I would like...I am a bit worried about what will people think at the office if they see me writing with this color. For most of them, I am already "original" enough by using these fountain pens!

But now that I have received a 2-pen case I am seriously thinking of taking to work one pen filled with Havanna and other with Waterman Blue or Quink black, so I have both options.

Anything written with Havanna looks to me so classy...

Be brave - your colleagues will survive! I have a Sailor 1911M inked with Waterman Havana Brown (my 'fine' pen) and a Sailor Sapporo B inked with Waterman Blue-black (my 'medium' pen) - perfect for nearly all work/play scenarios ...

Lawrie in Melbourne, Australia

1. Reform (1745 F soft; Waterman Havana Brown)

2. Pelikan (M200 M Binderized cursive italic; Pelikan Brilliant Black)

3. Pelikan (M805 OM; Pelikan Blue-Black).

4. Jinhao (Mini missile F: Waterman Havana Brown)

Very nice review! Nice handwriting! I have my yellow Lamy Safari (ef) loaded with Waterman Havana Brown. Love it!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Someone has some SERIOUSLY good handwriting here, and it ain't me.

I've always loved havana brown, along with florida blue, two bottles I am never without.

'Careful, we don't want to learn anything from this." Calvin & Hobbes

*-* My Pens *-* My Wish List *-*

thanks for the review. i couldn't agree more to the positive words, havana is so good and easy-use.

as is your handwriting. i'm not worthy :notworthy1:

Power to the peaceful (Michael Franti)

Pouch Partners:

Pilot VP Kasuri (m) & Sailor Red Brown

Pelikan M415 (B) & Pelikan Black Brown mix

Indeed, Havana brown is an excellent ink for daily use. Love it!

Thanks for bringing this ink back into the limelight.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Hi vermiculus,

Nice review and better handwriter. Waterman Havanna is one of my favourites ink. I bought the first bottle two year ago, and I usually write with this ink.

Bye

Dona sangre, salva vidas

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Havana Brown is the gold standard for brown inks. I love it!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Sorry if I missed the review comment: does it have the same flow characteristics as Waterman Florida Blue? Thanks.

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Good review and very nice handwriting. Would love to see a comparison with Noodler's Walnut. I really like a dark brown ink with not too much red. Also curious on a flow comparison between the two. Walnut has a really smooth flow and did wonders to my troublesome MB. Wondering if Havana Brown is even better. Knowing what they say about Florida Blue being a wonder ink.