Pilot Varsity Pens

OldGriz

My daughter's two friends were over this past weekend and she showed them how a fountain pen works and allowed them (under supervision) to use one of my pens (I picked a beater that writes decently).... Now they both would like pens of their own... I doubt that their parents are going to go out and purchase even a cheap one for them...

I was thinking of getting a couple of Pilot Varsity pens to have around for just such an occassion.. of course I would give the child one unless the parent OKs it...

I don't need to get my head beat for ink stains.. :doh: :doh:

What do you all think of the Pilot Varsity as a kid's pen to learn on... my daughter got spoiled by learning on my custom pens and Pelikan GOs...

Edit: How does the Sheaffer Javelin look as an alternative... Pen Hero has these on sale for $5.00/ea....

Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Betty

• RussA

• Bill D

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Varsity pens will look too ugly to appeal to a 7 year old. If you're really generous & nice, get them a colorful Pelikano. I think 7 year olds will love those gummy bear transparent colors :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

You can find Varsities in fun colors, and that might increase their appeal to the kids. You could even empty them and refill with whatever ink catches their eye, if you can't find any stock colors that work for them.

Bill

I think the Varsity pens will look too ugly to appeal to a 7 year old. If you're really generous & nice, get them a colorful Pelikano. I think 7 year olds will love those gummy bear transparent colors :)

I tend to agree with them not being all that cute.. but the difference in price makes the Pelikano out of the question...

These are not my kids :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't mind laying out $3.00 to get one started.. but $10-15 depending on where you find them is out of the question.... If their parents decide to get them a decent starter pen, I will recommend the Pelikano...

I have a bad enough time keeping my little one happy with ink colors and pens.. :doh: :doh:

I started with the Varsities at a much older age. I have to say they write very well for the price. They are available in multi-packs and color assortment packs, perfect for handing out to folks who want to see what this fountain pen thing is all about. The myriad colors should also appeal.

Cheers.

It's cold outside, I should get more pens.

Sheaffer Javelins appear to be a good alternative. Does anyone happen to know if they are made in Fort Madison, as God so clearly intended, or made by Bic employees pretending to be competant?

I have a couple Javelins, and I'm pretty sure they're made here in Iowa. They have a white dot and say USA on the cap band.

Also, the translucent Javelins make great eye droppers with a bit of silicone grease on the barrel threads - might want to keep one for yourself.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Hey Tom,

Look at those Pilot Petit pens that were reviewed here recently. They come in cool colors and are small enough for little hands. I found that most adults didn't care for the ones I gave out, but younger people tend to like them.

The Petit1s!!!! I am sure they will be a 100% hit for them. I'm in my 20s and I still love the cuteness factor of it. And cost is only $4.95...and it looks 1000x better than a varsity.

It's short, colorful, and kids are going to love the see-through ink. The lighter colors' inks are almost seethrough, definitely amazing.

Look here to see a picture of the Pilot Petits and a color sampling.

Edited by Betty

Hi,

Just PM me, and we will arrange something. I have WAY too many Parker Reflexes.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Is the Pilot Petit1 smooth or toothy? One of Pilot's disposable fountain pens is scratchy beyond toothy! Also, how easily washable is its ink?

I'd make sure that kids from other families got plain-water-washable ink (or a blue ink which the Pelikan Super Pirat eradicator, 99 cents at Pendemonium, can eradicate -- I'm going to that topic right now in Inky Thoughts).

To go with $5 Hero 329 pens, I gave my nephews and nieces new-stock Sheaffer Skrip Jet Black, and I gave each pair of parents a bottle of Amodex Ink and Stain Remover, but they are in my family ;) .

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't recommend Hero 329s for kids as young as your daughter; the written line is probably too fine, and the nib is a little toothy and forces conformity to a "sweet spot."

Edited by Goodwhiskers

Thanks everyone... I can't believe the generousity on this site..

I got an email from David Remy in Florida offering me a couple of Pilot Varsity pens for free...

This site has been a godsend in my search for knowledge and the members have been overly generous in all ways possible..

Thank you all so much...

I think the Varsity pens will look too ugly to appeal to a 7 year old.  <snip>

I wouldn't say that. Last summer I gave each of my kids one-ages 9, 7, 5 at the time-and they each A-Dored them. My son has taken his to school and is the envy of his class. I think the novelty goes a long way to make up for any "blandness" of the pen itself.

To their credit, each child-now 10,8, and 6-still have their Pilots. They have lost many toys and even some eyeglasses, but their pens are still treasured. We even had a journaling time last night, each with our own Fountain Pen...

FWIW

Regard,

Kevin

Beaker606

"Your library is your paradise."

--Desiderius Erasmus c.1466-1536

Sheaffer Javelins appear to be a good alternative. Does anyone happen to know if they are made in Fort Madison, as God so clearly intended, or made by Bic employees pretending to be competant?

Nope. Look at the side of the clip. It says JAPAN.

This doesn't make the Javelin a bad pen. It's a great pen. But it's not a Fort Madison pen, merely Sheaffer's attempt in the late 1990s to outsource their lower-end pens and parts.

Is the Pilot Petit1 smooth or toothy? One of Pilot's disposable fountain pens is scratchy beyond toothy! Also, how easily washable is its ink?

I'd make sure that kids from other families got plain-water-washable ink (or a blue ink which the Pelikan Super Pirat eradicator, 99 cents at Pendemonium, can eradicate -- I'm going to that topic right now in Inky Thoughts).

To go with $5 Hero 329 pens, I gave my nephews and nieces new-stock Sheaffer Skrip Jet Black, and I gave each pair of parents a bottle of Amodex Ink and Stain Remover, but they are in my family ;) .

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't recommend Hero 329s for kids as young as your daughter; the written line is probably too fine, and the nib is a little toothy and forces conformity to a "sweet spot."

The Petit1 are pretty smooth, but the ink feathers on some paper. Remember this is a $5.00 pen, so don't be disappointed if it's not as smooth as a $100 pen, but I would say smooth enough :)

I'm in my 20s and I still love the cuteness factor of it.

Hey, I am in my 40's and still young enough at heart to appreciated them. My hands are just too big for things :D

For youngin's I would think maybe Pelikano Jrs or Futures. Similar pricing and come in great colors!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I'd say go with whatever you can easily buy. In my area, the Petit1 and Varsity are easy enough to come by and I can do a quick shopping trip to pick up more if I gave them away. I prefer Petit1 nibs because I feel they're smoother than the Varsity and I do like the overall whimsical nature of the pen. The ink comes in some great colors, too ;) You can also get cartridge refills which is nice for students or those "less coordinated". I'm pretty sure the ink is washable because I have some big water spots on some of my papers (oops) which blotched easily.

I wouldn't particularly want to make a special order just for Pelikanos because then I'd have to pay for shipping, but if you regularly buy something from a specific online retailer, you could just combo order.