Sheaffer Legacy Heritage

Pappy

I used Jonro's Fountain Pen Inventory download to write this review. Thank you Jonro. I have pen photos that I lifted from the PenHero.com website, but I do not know how to get them here.

First Impressions (5/5)

I first observed the Legacy Heritage several years ago in a Fountain Pen Hospital catalog. I was drawn toward this pen that Sheaffer describes as having “timeless and classic elegance.” I learned that it is a descendant of Sheaffer’s Pen For Men (PFM) made in the late 1950’s. However, let me quickly add that my bride of 43 years likes this Sheaffer more than any other fountain pen I have. I may have to keep an eye on her and my pen.

The pen was shipped via USPS Express Mail on Friday and arrived on Tuesday. The package arrived in excellent condition with its contents well protected by bubble-wrap.

The Sheaffer gift box is silver colored cardboard with gold colored lines around the borders with an open-end, light gold colored, craft-paper-weight slipcover. The gift box also has “SHEAFFER” imprinted along with the red, white, and black circular trademark on the lower right of the top. The same appears in white in the middle of the top of the slipcover.

Included in the box was the piston converter (installed in the pen) and two Skrip ink cartridges. Papers included Sheaffer’s Lifetime Warranty and Sheaffer’s Use and Care Guide (both in 12 languages).

Gift box dimensions: height 1.7”; width 7.1”; length 3.5”.

Appearance (5/5)

The appearance and finish of this pen more than met my high expectations. The cap is silver (palladium plated) with 22kt gold furniture (clip and cap band). The clip has “SHEAFFER” imprinted in the metal on its right edge at the top (clip facing you). At the top of the clip is the White Dot--the Sheaffer trademark since 1924. The cap band also has “SHEAFFER” imprinted in the metal. The barrel is black (onyx laque) with two gold rings where the section and barrel join (one on each side of the black snap band). The pen has a high gloss finish with no detectable inconsistencies.

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

Measurements were determined by placing the pen alongside a standard triangular engineer ruler using the 10th inch scale. Weight was determined by postal scale accurate to +/- 1% of reading.

Length:

Capped 5.4”

Posted 5.9”

Uncapped 4.7”

Cap 2.4”

Section at barrel to point of nib 1.6”

Width:

0.5” where section and barrel are joined. The last inch of the end of the barrel tapers from 0.5” to 0.25” at its end.

Weight:

1.4 oz. Capped with full converter of ink

1.0 oz. Uncapped with full converter of ink

I chose the Legacy Heritage for its size and weight. It is a full size pen. I prefer to write with fountain pens not posted and the 1.0 oz. weight and balance of this pen is just right for me. It feels good in my hand. The clip is spring loaded and the cap snaps securely onto the barrel. Both the cap and barrel ends are flat but not flat enough to stand either on end.

Nib (5/5)

The inlaid nib is 18kt gold in a medium point. Nib choices are fine and medium. I prefer meduim nibs. Half of my writing is printing in all caps and the other half is looped cursive. In comparison to my Pelikan, Aurora and Sailor medium nibs, the width of the Legacy Heritage’s line is slightly thicker. The nib writes buttery smooth, and on a scale of 1 to 10, the wetness is a 9-10.

Filling System (5/5)

The Legacy Heritage uses a piston-converter or Sheaffer ink cartridges. Although I have preferred piston filler fountain pens, I like the versatility of the converter/cartridge types. The Sheaffer converter holds plenty of ink for the writing that I do at one sitting (journaling, memoir, letters). I’ve experienced not starting or skipping.

Cost and Value (5/5)

I purchased the Legacy Heritage from PenHero.com. MSRP is $350 USD. PenHero’s price is $262.50 There is no charge on selected pens (this model is one of them) and included at no extra cost were extra ink cartridges AND a Sheaffer pen rest! Would I buy from PenHero again? You betcha. Prices are reasonable and customer satisfaction is their highest priority. Overall, it was a great buying experience. The pen is well worth the money I paid because of its quality and because it has the features I favor most.

Pen stand dimensions: height: 0.5”; width 1.95”; length 1.55”; V-groove 0.35”

“Sheaffer” and the circular trademark are embossed in the plastic.

Conclusion (5/5)

This was my first Sheaffer purchase, but before doing so, I read the threads in the Sheaffer Forum on FPN. Whatever they are doing in the Czech Republic seems to produce a great product, but I’m saddened to see that the Fort Madison factory has closed.

The Sheaffer Legacy Heritage is my favorite pen--that comes after several (4)years of sharpening my likes and preferences in fountain pens. Would I recommend this pen without reservation? You betcha! So, there is no reason from my standpoint not to give it 5/5 in all categories.

Edited by Pappy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david6

• penmanila

• Pappy

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review. I'm glad that you and your wife like your Legacy Heritage. I have several of these pens, and I love them all.

I have often contended that the Sheaffer Legacy and Legacy Heritage are the most underappreciated of all modern pens currently in production. I rank them alongside the Waterman Man 100 as the best basic writing instruments introduced in the last 20 years. I would compare these pens to such timeless classics as the Montblanc 146, the Pelikan M800, the Aurora Optima, and the Omas Old Style Paragon.

I'm curious as to where the nibs are currently being made. Originally the entire pen was being made in Fort Madison, Iowa. Then Sheaffer shifted the manufacture of the pens overseas, but continued to make the nibs in Fort Madison. Now that Fort Madison is completely closed, somebody else must be making the nibs -- but these nibs are substantially different from any other nibs made by the usual European generic nib suppliers!

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Great review of one of my favorite pens! I fell in love with the Legacy and its relatives because of the relative weight of the pen (I write with the cap posted) and the perfect balance. And then the nib is soooo smooth - just as you describe it.

Thanks!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I used Jonro's Fountain Pen Inventory download to write this review. Thank you Jonro. I have pen photos that I lifted from the PenHero.com website, but I do not know how to get them here.

First Impressions (5/5)

I first observed the Legacy Heritage several years ago in a Fountain Pen Hospital catalog. I was drawn toward this pen that Sheaffer describes as having “timeless and classic elegance.” I learned that it is a descendant of Sheaffer’s Pen For Men (PFM) made in the late 1950’s. However, let me quickly add that my bride of 43 years likes this Sheaffer more than any other fountain pen I have. I may have to keep an eye on her and my pen.

The pen was shipped via USPS Express Mail on Friday and arrived on Tuesday. The package arrived in excellent condition with its contents well protected by bubble-wrap.

The Sheaffer gift box is silver colored cardboard with gold colored lines around the borders with an open-end, light gold colored, craft-paper-weight slipcover. The gift box also has “SHEAFFER” imprinted along with the red, white, and black circular trademark on the lower right of the top. The same appears in white in the middle of the top of the slipcover.

Included in the box was the piston converter (installed in the pen) and two Skrip ink cartridges. Papers included Sheaffer’s Lifetime Warranty and Sheaffer’s Use and Care Guide (both in 12 languages).

Gift box dimensions: height 1.7”; width 7.1”; length 3.5”.

Appearance (5/5)

The appearance and finish of this pen more than met my high expectations. The cap is silver (palladium plated) with 22kt gold furniture (clip and cap band). The clip has “SHEAFFER” imprinted in the metal on its right edge at the top (clip facing you). At the top of the clip is the White Dot--the Sheaffer trademark since 1924. The cap band also has “SHEAFFER” imprinted in the metal. The barrel is black (onyx laque) with two gold rings where the section and barrel join (one on each side of the black snap band). The pen has a high gloss finish with no detectable inconsistencies.

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

Measurements were determined by placing the pen alongside a standard triangular engineer ruler using the 10th inch scale. Weight was determined by postal scale accurate to +/- 1% of reading.

Length:

Capped 5.4”

Posted 5.9”

Uncapped 4.7”

Cap 2.4”

Section at barrel to point of nib 1.6”

Width:

0.5” where section and barrel are joined. The last inch of the end of the barrel tapers from 0.5” to 0.25” at its end.

Weight:

1.4 oz. Capped with full converter of ink

1.0 oz. Uncapped with full converter of ink

I chose the Legacy Heritage for its size and weight. It is a full size pen. I prefer to write with fountain pens not posted and the 1.0 oz. weight and balance of this pen is just right for me. It feels good in my hand. The clip is spring loaded and the cap snaps securely onto the barrel. Both the cap and barrel ends are flat but not flat enough to stand either on end.

Nib (5/5)

The inlaid nib is 18kt gold in a medium point. Nib choices are fine and medium. I prefer meduim nibs. Half of my writing is printing in all caps and the other half is looped cursive. In comparison to my Pelikan, Aurora and Sailor medium nibs, the width of the Legacy Heritage’s line is slightly thicker. The nib writes buttery smooth, and on a scale of 1 to 10, the wetness is a 9-10.

Filling System (5/5)

The Legacy Heritage uses a piston-converter or Sheaffer ink cartridges. Although I have preferred piston filler fountain pens, I like the versatility of the converter/cartridge types. The Sheaffer converter holds plenty of ink for the writing that I do at one sitting (journaling, memoir, letters). I’ve experienced not starting or skipping.

Cost and Value (5/5)

I purchased the Legacy Heritage from PenHero.com. MSRP is $350 USD. PenHero’s price is $262.50 There is no charge on selected pens (this model is one of them) and included at no extra cost were extra ink cartridges AND a Sheaffer pen rest! Would I buy from PenHero again? You betcha. Prices are reasonable and customer satisfaction is their highest priority. Overall, it was a great buying experience. The pen is well worth the money I paid because of its quality and because it has the features I favor most.

Pen stand dimensions: height: 0.5”; width 1.95”; length 1.55”; V-groove 0.35”

“Sheaffer” and the circular trademark are embossed in the plastic.

Conclusion (5/5)

This was my first Sheaffer purchase, but before doing so, I read the threads in the Sheaffer Forum on FPN. Whatever they are doing in the Czech Republic seems to produce a great product, but I’m saddened to see that the Fort Madison factory has closed.

The Sheaffer Legacy Heritage is my favorite pen--that comes after several (4)years of sharpening my likes and preferences in fountain pens. Would I recommend this pen without reservation? You betcha! So, there is no reason from my standpoint not to give it 5/5 in all categories.

No matter how careful... Under Filling System, I meant to say I have NOT experienced not starting or skipping.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear you're getting so much out of the pen.

cheers

eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

Thanks for a well done review.

I have to agree with CharlieB that the Legacy and Legacy Heritage lines are underappreciated. Some of my favorite FP's are sized like the Duofold Centennial, the Stipula Etruria and the Pel M-800. The Legacy/Legacy Hertiage FP's are similar in size and weight to these other brand name pens, and every bit as good in quality from my personal experience. I like all of these pens because I can use them unposted. All of them have a good weight and balance. All of them are different in shape and form, which makes owning so many different pens so much fun.

All of the other pens I mention have threaded sections. My L/LH have slip caps, hence no threading. It is somewhat easier for me to get a comfortable grip with the Sheaffer pens that I simply cannot get from any of the others.

I have only two of these pens. My Legacy with a touchdown filler has a factory stub nib that has an great cursive italic feel and gives great line variation. My Legacy Heritage has a c/c filling system and a great B nib that was tuned (via the previous owner) by (I think) Deb Kinney. The nib is wonderfully smooth and delivers a lovely watercolor line on paper with Herbin inks. I am thinking about getting a M nib sometime soon.

I am glad you like your Legacy Heritage. I hope you get many good years of service from it.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess if there is an answer, it would be from here.

[First thing first, I am an amateur so assume I have little or no knowledge as compared to the experts in this forum].

I have recently bought a Sheaffer "Legacy II 865, Sandbls, Matte Blk, FP, Med".

I have not tried drawing ink into it because I am not sure how. So far, the snorkel has not protruded (Is there one?* And I don't know whether it is there or how to make it show up).

*The snorkel does not show up in this illustration:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/pens/#FILLSH

Does anyone own a similar pen? What's the experience like? I can't say I am not having cold feet right now.

I am lost and could use some good advice.

Thank you all.

[First thing first, I am an amateur so assume I have little or no knowledge as compared to the experts in this forum].

I have not tried drawing ink into it because I am not sure how. So far, the snorkel has not protruded (Is there one?* And I don't know whether it is there or how to make it show up).

Does anyone own a similar pen? What's the experience like? I can't say I am not having cold feet right now.

Thank you all.

=================

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer...chdownGuide.htm

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

Thank you all.

I hope satrap's link explained it for you CLH. The Legacy is a brilliant fountain pen and I am sure you will get a great deal of pleasure out of it. Let us all know how you get on with filling it for the first time. It really is quite easy once you get the hang of it

David

The Legacy pens are wonderful pens. To me, they look like the cousin of Waterman's Edson (sacrilege!!!!). I have 2 or 3 Legacy pens, and I do enjoy them.

Glad that link helped, and the thanks goes to Jim of www.penhero.com.

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

I have managed to draw the ink up and been writing with it for 1/2 a day at work. I guess it is fine but I am uncomfortable with the lack of visual indication on how much ink is in the pen at any time. Probably a good idea to refill once every two days.

Thanks to everyone here.

I have managed to draw the ink up and been writing with it for 1/2 a day at work. I guess it is fine but I am uncomfortable with the lack of visual indication on how much ink is in the pen at any time. Probably a good idea to refill once every two days.

Thanks to everyone here.

That is exactly how I feel. I am so used to looking to see how much ink is in the pen and I cant do it with the Legacy. However, the feel of the pen and the pleasure I get from using it far outweighs that minor problem.

I also cheat, I always have two pens with me so I only have to change over if one runs out :rolleyes:

Enjoy your new pen

David

Edited by david6

• 3 months later...

I've got a black/palladium Legacy I and a gold/gold Legacy II, both of which I got from another FPN member, and they're both brilliant.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

HI ALL....Once again.....NO ONE answered the question of where these nibs are being manufactured now that Fort Madison is closed.....does anyone know where Sheaffer is having these nibs manufactured..????

Pete

• 9 years later...

i'd always wanted a legacy with the two-tone palladium cap AND a stub nib. i got a legacy II once with the stub nib but it wasn't the cap and barrel i wanted so i sold it away, only to regret it later. and then i found a legacy heritage with the right body but an F nib.... this weekend i got a legacy II with the right stub nib, and a quick swap later, i had my grail legacy:

26877591979_6f1f0b9379_b.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

i'd always wanted a legacy with the two-tone palladium cap AND a stub nib. i got a legacy II once with the stub nib but it wasn't the cap and barrel i wanted so i sold it away, only to regret it later. and then i found a legacy heritage with the right body but an F nib.... this weekend i got a legacy II with the right stub nib, and a quick swap later, i had my grail legacy:

26877591979_6f1f0b9379_b.jpg

That is a nice pen.

As much as it is a nice pen, I will always prefer legacy 1& 2 which were US made models. Mine salute your pen

35421212751_c84c9b7a8f_c.jpg

35421212431_99eb887747_c.jpg35383915702_73643937bb_c.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I won the first production Legacy that came off the production line and I do use it from time to time.

The contest was from Pen World.

The pen is bullet proof.

the Danitrio Fellowship