Homage to the composition notebook

JD4020

This is a great time of the year, Back to School time, when marbled comp books are on sale everywhere. I never realized there was a big difference among comp books or where they were manufactured. I don't care too much if they bleed through, cause I want 'em to be cheap and useful. I use fp and pencil in my ntebooks. I also appreciate the multiplication tables on the back covers---I need all the help I can get! Yeah, marbled comp books, like dry martinis, brown lunch bags or Sinatra, are just the kind of American things you can't improve upon, rugged, simple, unpretentious. (American in concept, even if they are outsourced...) I buy them by the dozen this time of year. Rite Aid and CVS are my favorite places to buy them (50 cents a notebook!).

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Poetman

• Steveareno

• mwpannell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got a small stash of the gridded ones from Office depot. They were made in India but there were clearly two different batches, One had decent paper and nidely ruled lines, the other looked to be bad paper and wide, fuzzy lines. Reasonably FP friendly with my fine nib pens too.

The gridded sell for $2.99 while the college and wide ruled are on sale now at 99 cents.

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

This is a company that makes leather covers for standard composition books. One way to jazz up an everyday item.

I use a zipper book cover from Barnes and Noble for my tall spiral notebook for calls/messages. But, these are much nicer.

http://www.pledesigns.com/store-products/c...ae49f337b7051de

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

Does any one know if they make--and if so, where I can get--blank paged compostion notebooks? I'm really looking for any inexpensive blank notebook with a sewed binding like the composition notebook.

I picked up some composition notebooks up from Staples a few weeks ago and started to write with one today. I was absolutely amazed at the writing quality of these notebooks! They were on sale for $.25 a piece, or something like that. I'm using a Sheaffer PFM with an XXF-XF nib and it just glides across the paper. Levenger, by the way, also sells some nice, but pricey, composition notebook covers.

A source of very high quality custom made composition book (and any other) covers is dreamingmind.com. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Edited by jonro

Does any one know if they make--and if so, where I can get--blank paged compostion notebooks? I'm really looking for any inexpensive blank notebook with a sewed binding like the composition notebook.

I haven't seen these for years. They used to be my favorites. If you find any, please post the source here!

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I remember seeing blank (unlined) comp books at my university's bookstore next to the gridded and college-ruled composition books, so they do exist. The bookstore here has a better selection than the chain office stores...not sure where you could source those online, though. You might consider the extra-large Molesike cahiers, although they are more expensive and not the same dimensions.

Brandon

Definitely. Stevedan's wonderful office supply shop in Manhattan sells the blank versions. They are a little more expensive than the regular notebook. I have one but there is no indication of the brand anywhere, just copyright 2001 APP and above the barcode HBO3377. The barcode itself has numbers 1266802377. It looks like a regular black Mead black composition notebook but again, not a single brand name anywhere. Well, at least we know that they're still made. Send Stevedan's a message or give them a call.

While watching "Edison, The Man" this morning on cable I spotted a black marbled composition book being used for aall his notes on filiments for the electric bulb. Artistic license or true to facts I don't know but if good enough for Edison it's good enough for me.

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

I love these Mead 5 Star college ruled books. They come in several colors.

I have not used them recently because I could not find them at the store, guess I'll have to see if my local Walgreens has them. The attached photo is from Walgreens.com and they run about $4.50.

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

I remember seeing blank (unlined) comp books at my university's bookstore next to the gridded and college-ruled composition books, so they do exist. The bookstore here has a better selection than the chain office stores...not sure where you could source those online, though. You might consider the extra-large Molesike cahiers, although they are more expensive and not the same dimensions.

Brandon

Thanks. I was thinking about the Moleskines, but the paper is a bit too thin. I can't stand seeing the ink bleed through on the other side. Do you have a picture of the unlined compostion book? Do you know the brand name?

Thanks!

I picked up some composition notebooks up from Staples a few weeks ago and started to write with one today. I was absolutely amazed at the writing quality of these notebooks! They were on sale for $.25 a piece, or something like that. I'm using a Sheaffer PFM with an XXF-XF nib and it just glides across the paper. Levenger, by the way, also sells some nice, but pricey, composition notebook covers.

Oh, maaaaaan! You're making me cry!

First I miss the sale at Wally World, now this. :crybaby:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Okay, so I definitely cannot locate any unruled compostion notebooks, but to make matters worse, now I also cannot locate Roaring Spring quad. ruled notebook that I used instead. It has a green cover that says: Roaring Spring Compostions.

Any idea where to find these? Staples and Office Depot only have their store brand copies.

Hi !

I just discovered this forum looking for information about marble composition books. I live in France, and I have never seen one of these in any french shop. I m writing a lot, and for some reason I always dreamed of writing on one of these.

Since I cant buy them here, I would like to buy some on an online store that ships oversea.

I need some with good quality paper, because I need them to be fountain pen friendly (dont want to see the ink spread, or see the ink appear in the back of the paper). The problem is from there I obviously cant touch the paper and feel the quality.

Maybe you guys can help me to find what I m looking for since you got some serious experience :)

What is the best composition books maker ? I heard about Mead but according to what you just say in this thread, paper quality can be disappointing...

It would really be awesome if you could give me some advice on what would be my best bet !

Thank you (and please forgive my bad english )

Melf

I don't know if they still have them, but Building #19 1/2 (Burlington, MA) had a ton (probably close to literally) of Staples stuff (some Staples branded) including composition notebooks. I bought some of the upscale notebooks, and they bleed through enough that they are not useful for writing on both sides.

Building 19 gets discontinued, damaged, etc.goods for sale at steep discount. This could have been a truckload that was damaged on the road or something. Some of the notebooks were clearly seconds, some were first class, but the prices were cheap cheap cheap. If you have one nearby, it might be worth checking out.

Building 19 website

have fun, folks,

WH

Hi !

I just discovered this forum looking for information about marble composition books. I live in France, and I have never seen one of these in any french shop. I m writing a lot, and for some reason I always dreamed of writing on one of these.

Since I cant buy them here, I would like to buy some on an online store that ships oversea.

I need some with good quality paper, because I need them to be fountain pen friendly (dont want to see the ink spread, or see the ink appear in the back of the paper). The problem is from there I obviously cant touch the paper and feel the quality.

Maybe you guys can help me to find what I m looking for since you got some serious experience :)

What is the best composition books maker ? I heard about Mead but according to what you just say in this thread, paper quality can be disappointing...

It would really be awesome if you could give me some advice on what would be my best bet !

Thank you (and please forgive my bad english )

Melf

I think your English is quite good.

Composition books here are cheap, but the paper quality (for fountain pens) is a complete roll of the dice. Some are very good, some are very bad. Brand name seems not to be very reliable, country of origin may be a better indicator (most of the remarks on Brazilian sourced paper have been positive). I would recommend against buying online; I don't even buy shrink-wrapped ones. If you can't touch and feel the paper, you don't have a good chance of getting a good one.

Levenger used to make good (but expensive) ones. But I have seen many remarks that their paper quality has declined. Fountain pen users are a very small minority here, and their paper needs are not really considered by the large manufacturers. If their needs are met, it is basically an accident. The paper is fine for ballpoints, rollerballs, pencils, but whether it is fine for fountain pens is pure chance.