Pilot Pluminix

london

The innerwebs is your friend!

Now, where can I buy the PluMINIx? (green, turq, WANT!)

Only in Europe, it would seem; I'd love to have one just because it exists.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Chthulhu

• london

• yoplaboum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought this pen at Target because I'm sorta addicted to cheap Pilot pens. I didn't know that I was getting an italic nib, and didn't realize at first why the writing appeared the way that it did. I've been playing around with it for a day, and I'm totally in love. It certainly doesn't have the smoothness of my gold-nibbed Pelikans, but I'm now planning to add an italic Pelikan to my collection. I've always just read over any discussion of italic nibs in the past. I'm just so in love with the way that this pen's writing looks!

I took the plunge with another Plumix today (I have *way* too much time on my hands!) and attacked the nib with a selection of fine diamond files, and finally a diamond sharpener meant for fish hooks; it has a groove that let me break and smooth the filed edges without slipping off. The result: the once-italic nib is now a nice flexible fine, or possible extra-fine. Still needs a wee bit of polishing, but it suits my prefernce for very fine lines quite nicely, and the standard Band-Aid-smell ink looks great this way. :-)

Oh, look: a sample!

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

I thought that somewhere earlier in the thread they were saying the pluminix is discontinued?

I got a plumix at the Target in Boulder, CO when we stopped for rain poncho's on vacation (us texans weren't prepared!). I actually only went in to look for rhodia pads but found these instead. I love this pen :)

Jazz It. Rock It. Paint It Blue. Paint it black. Tell your folks. Tune in. Turn off. Love it. Hate it. Do what you want. Do what you're told. Follow your heart. Follow your gut. Follow your brain. Hello. Goodbye. Try. Fear The Metal.

Just picked one up yesterday at Target for $6.

A Plumix right?

Jazz It. Rock It. Paint It Blue. Paint it black. Tell your folks. Tune in. Turn off. Love it. Hate it. Do what you want. Do what you're told. Follow your heart. Follow your gut. Follow your brain. Hello. Goodbye. Try. Fear The Metal.

Just picked one up yesterday at Target for $6.

The Target store on 280 in the Birmingham, AL area has lots, even after the 4 I got, of Pilot Plumix fountain pens (as described by others) in stock. $5.99 + 8% tax.

Too bad I had already mail ordered a couple at higher cost :-(

• 2 weeks later...
I took the plunge with another Plumix today (I have *way* too much time on my hands!) and attacked the nib with a selection of fine diamond files, and finally a diamond sharpener meant for fish hooks; it has a groove that let me break and smooth the filed edges without slipping off. The result: the once-italic nib is now a nice flexible fine, or possible extra-fine. Still needs a wee bit of polishing, but it suits my prefernce for very fine lines quite nicely, and the standard Band-Aid-smell ink looks great this way. :-)

Update: I did that (very) wee bit of polishing today, using the unmounted rubber polsihing wheel of a Dremel Moto-Tool as a whetstone (I don't remember exactly where I saw that method, but it was in a nib-mending video). I'm pleased with the results: no more scratchiness, but still feedback from textured papers without the previous snags. I ended up with a nice EF line, narrower than a Pentel EnerGel Needle Tip 0.5 mm ball pen. Oh, and I swapped cartridges between this pen and the other Plumix I had inked, so now that one has a nearly-full load of Pilot blue ink, and this one was flushed and filled with some Noodler's Black. As a bonus, the ink colors now match the pen bodies. <G>

Mike Hungerford

• 2 months later...

I, too, got one of these at Target. I love the italic nib, the feel and the width of the nib. But the flow is much too dry, even after replacing the powdery Pilot blue with Aurora Black. Any suggestions dealing with the slow flow?

• 4 months later...

I was surprised enough to find Pluminix pens in a french departement store 3 days ago, for a price between 5 and 6 euros. It's only sold with the M nib, wich I find is a pleasant size to write daily with. But I think the M size of the Pluminix (0,58 mm) is a little larger than the M size of the Plumix...

These pens are sold here for international cardridges. I find these cheap pens very cool, perfect for playing with different inks, and even if the nibs are made just like the 78G nibs, I find them a little more wet. I found the 78G difficult to use with some inks, like Waterman Havane. To try inks like Diamine, or Herbin in short cartridges, it's perfect.

I'll try to post pictures, using the Waterman Rose ink, an ink not very often seen.

Edited by yoplaboum

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

WOW, I have one of these too! I have a turquoise one, bought mine at the Target Store in Reno, Nv. while looking for a refill to a ball point. I have also noticed that the Sparks Nv. store also had some. The package states they used the "Namiki" cartridge and gave a website where to get more. Like all Pilot fountain pens I've used it's a good writer, and the italic nib is fun to play with. The refills look a lot like the Pilot Parallel art pen refills, but the packaging states the parallel pen's refills only fit parallel pens. I might get more adventurous when the Plumix pen runs out of ink. Knowing now that there is a Pluminix pen that takes international cartridges out there makes me wonder if I need one... *sigh*

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Don't confuse the Plumix with the Pluminix. They look very similar, but they're different pens.

The Pluminix takes international cartridges. The Plumix takes Pilot cartridges & CON-20 converters.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I have both. The Pluminix is about half the size of the Plumix, and I was trying to put a regular Pilot cart into the Pluminix, going, 'What GIVES?!'

And then I returned to this thread to discover the truth and lived happily with the mini ever since. :thumbup:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Don't confuse the Plumix with the Pluminix. They look very similar, but they're different pens.

The Pluminix takes international cartridges. The Plumix takes Pilot cartridges & CON-20 converters.

I don't think so. I think it's depend on the location the pen is sold. It seems that the american Plumix use Pilot Cartridges, and the european uses the international cartridges.

I own 3 Plumix, (big sized Pluminix), bought in France, I use them with standard waterman converters.

post-35958-126840319871.jpg

Plumix with standard Waterman converter

Pluminix I found 3 days ago

post-35958-126840334147.jpg

The package found in the departement store

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

Nice handwriting, CUUUTE packaging!

PS: Hey-you could run a side-business supplying us in the CONUS with those cute pens. I did not know they came in different nib sizes. Here they do not.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The Pluminix is sold (as I could see) only with a M nib. As you see on the packaging, it's more college-oriented. The Plumix, oriented for a calligraphy interest, is available with different nibs. But except for the lenght of the body, the parts of the two pens are axactly the same. On my pictures, the Plumix has the cristal nib part of a Pluminix, and the Blue Pluminix has the darker nib part of the Plumix. To put a plumix nib on a pluminix, you have only to put the body and the cap of one on the other.

Edited by yoplaboum

PS : for the "side-business supplying us in the CONUS", The Writing Desk has these pens, is a professionnal, and a pleasant seller :thumbup:. Selling pen is his business, not mine...:blush: