Pilot Pluminix

london

I was browsing the pen section in Target a couple weeks ago and found the Plumix as well. I got a purple one and a blue one. They had two black ones as well. It says fine on the package, but it has an italic nib on it, which is pretty cool. My first one. It's easy to write with, is pretty smooth and doesn't have skipping problems. They were $5.99 each and I'm enjoying them a lot.

I don't think these take standard international cartridges though. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work. It said it uses Pilot Ink cartridge UIC50BLU-K on the package.

Interesting--you found a Plumix at Target? What town/city/state/country?

I just discovered this thread, and thought I'd toss in $0.02:

I bought a Pilot Plumix last Friday at the Target store on High St just north of Morse Rd in Columbus, Ohio. I didn't go there looking for a cheap fountain pen, but I found one. There were three on the peg hook - if I'd known what I was buying, I'd have bought all they had.

I sure hope a PR Spearmint cart goes into it - I just ordered a box of them from isellpens.com, and they haven't been delivered yet.

:hmm1:

Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

- Richard Feynman

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Chthulhu

• london

• yoplaboum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this Plumix in my local Target as well. They do not take standard carts but that's what your friend the pipette is for! ^^

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I sure hope a PR Spearmint cart goes into it - I just ordered a box of them from isellpens.com, and they haven't been delivered yet.

I'm pretty sure it won't fit as is. I tried a standard international cartridge and it was a no go. But if it does fit, please report it back here. I'd love for it to work. I'd love to get an Herbin cartridge to work in it.

I'm thinking of refilling the existing cartridge with a syringe.

And it sounds like it's in Targets nationwide in the US since I'm not in Ohio.

Just picked a blue Plumix up today in Target in Tempe (along with a Rhodia pad). That would be a Pilot/Namiki cartridge, I believe.

Nice little pen, though!

Ralf

I'm pretty sure it won't fit as is. I tried a standard international cartridge and it was a no go. But if it does fit, please report it back here. I'd love for it to work. I'd love to get an Herbin cartridge to work in it.

I'm thinking of refilling the existing cartridge with a syringe.

And it sounds like it's in Targets nationwide in the US since I'm not in Ohio.

Edited by ralfstc

• 3 weeks later...

Well, folks, for $6 who can resist? I grabbed on of these in Target yesterday, and it seems like a rather fun and well made pen. Only the cartridge situation will be an issue. It's a Pilot cart, and it installs in the reverse manner of an international cart (wide end into the feed). Namiki's website sells the carts for a fair enough price, but I'll try refilling the cart with a syringe for a while.

Wouldn't you think if Target carries the pen they would carry refills??

I found a bunch at the Target here in Rapid City. Fun little pen. Seems to leak a bit around the end of the cartridge, but not as much as the Shaeffers I used to get at the campus bookstore in college. So far my hand is ink-free. I like the italic nib. I'm just getting back to writing with fountain pens after a 20+ year hiatus. Fun little cheap pen.

I picked up two, they only had the Turquoisey-Blue and a Purple. The threaded cap really throws me for some reason, too. I think I need to realign my nib unit in one, as the grip "grooves" aren't lining up correctly nor is the imprint lined up with the top of the nib. But seems pretty good for only $6 each. Also, I have never used any Pilot inks before. It seemed really pale at first like some inks do, until they get going, but seems like a nice shade. For some reason, my ink smells kind of .. sterile, like gauze or something. Is that usual?

Uwaaa, can not edit reply BUT: I went to Target on a gamble and found the pen! I didn't think it was an italic until I got it out of the card and started using it. I absolutely love the shape and the grip, but it's a little weird that it has that threaded cap.

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

Yeah... the one I have is a reluctant writer, but I just got a nib-smoothing kit so who knows. As for the ink smell, it's allergy season, so I detect no smell at all. :P

I'm really enjoying mine. The leaking is only happening to one pen. I went back and got another (purple), and it doesn't leak at all. I like the nib quite a bit. It's finer than the one on the Rotring Art Pen I'm also using. Nice to put in my purse. I have a 78G on order, but if it has the same nib, maybe I shouldn't have paid more for the 78G. I like the way the Plumix fits my hand.

Deb

For some reason, my ink smells kind of .. sterile, like gauze or something. Is that usual?

Mine smells like that too. I have the purple one. I bought the turquoise and black, but haven't opened them yet.

The first time I decide to take a fountain pen out to a function, it was this one and it decided to leak all over my hands. But when I got it home, it was perfectly well-behaved and didn't leak at all since then. Fountain pens can be a mystery sometimes.

Each one of those pens seems to behave differently. While I kind of like it, that spells 'poor QC.'

In US try Target. I got mine in a Brooklyn Target.

Thanks for the address, I will make a note of it as I think it's definitely worth having another of these pens.

Your blog is interesting!

I like these little pens but I find that with mine the ink really leaks into the cap an awful lot! But perhaps it is because I reground my nib to make it broader as it was too fine for me.

I have all the Pilot catalogues, ask me if you need help.

Looking to swap my Noodlers Britannia's Blue Waves

Anyone know of a US source of these pens?

Donnie

I just saw one the other day for (I think) $2.99 at my local Target.

James

Sadly none at the Target in West Frisco TX. If I get a chance, I'll check the one at Stonebriar.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I bought one a few days ago at a target in Cerritos, CA. Went there looking for Rhodia pads (which they didn't have) but did walk out with one of these nifty little guys. Pretty good deal for $6. I also agree, I do like it a lot more than my rotring artpen.

Edited by jantirak

What's odd is that it performs better when I write with my right hand. Okay, maybe not so odd, but more pronounced than any other pen I own.

• 2 weeks later...

WANT

Will be checking the Fultondale, AL, and Birmingham, AL, Targets for carryage. Will report back when trip has been had.

Also want Pilotpenmanship but will settle for this....for now.

I imagine it'd be a nice pen to practice nib grinding on.

I miss mine. I think I'll have to get back to Target this weekend. I'd better get a couple.

Deb