Pilot VP

garythepenman

I've noticed a few posts where some have VP's with fine nibs. I have a Namiki VP with broad nib (I think it's medium) and it is very smooth, are the fine nibs really fine and if so..are they scratchy or good out of the box ?.

I would welcome your comments prior to investing. Alternately given the braod nib I have is medium at best would I be better off going for a medium (which may be euro fine) ?.

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garythepenman

• Leslie J.

• tntaylor

• Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my VP in a fine for the holidays. It was very smooth out of the box and compares well with my Sailor nibs.

I can't comment much on size. Other than a couple Esterbrooks, all of my pens are Japanese. I find myself wishing the VP came in an XF. :)

Edited by Random

Yep, mine's smooth, too.

Regarding the 'investment', the great thing about VPs is you can purchase just the nib/converter assembly seperately for quite a reasonable price if you don't want to buy another pen.

Ryan.

Both the fine and EF VP I tested at 2 different stores were scratchy. I was disappointed after hearing such awesome things about this pen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Apologies for this hijack. I've been having trouble creating a thread in the "Writing Instruments" forum or responding to a particular thread, so I'm testing to see if I can post here at all.

Blast, it works! What's going on here...

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

The F unit that came with my VP had flow issues, and therefore was scratchy. I adjusted it myself and it worked great for a while, then it kind of seized up on me. I have a M unit which is very smooth and fairly wet. I just haven't gotten around to ordering a new F unit. I would say there is a difference between scratchy and simply drier flow with Japanese pens. My F unit use to "sing", which wasn't unpleasant. I really haven't tried a lot of different inks in the VP, so that could be another variable that might affect the feel.

Never lie to your dog.

My F performs like an XF and with some inks even an XXF.

I think you will find any truly very fine nib will always feel some toothier than a medium or large nib. But mine is not scratchy or dry. With less surface area to spread the ink (lubricant) and sharper shape by default, most fines and XFs will "dig" slightly and not have the buttery smoothness you might be used to in a medium or broad. Often, if the flow is good as it is on mine, this just means using a lighter touch. A heavy touch can make any F or XF or flexible nib feel pretty crummy.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

i have a 2 vp's one with a f and one with a m. yes i know you can buy the nibs but my silver vp needed a black carbonesque friend.

the M imho is a very smooth wet nib it writes nicely. the F nib is also smooth but it puts out a nice dark crisp line that i just love. the F for having such a fine line flows very well. with just the slightest nib to paper contact you can write till your hearts content.

i do not find either nib to be scratchy in any way. infact i prefer the fine over the medium. but opinions are like.......... well you know

the VP is a magnificent instrument as long as the clip does not impeade your grip.

all the best :D ,

Jason

*edit brain fart*

Edited by Rackness

Thanks All. I'll probably go for a medium to be on the safe side.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I have a medium and a fine with my VP. The medium is more of a fine a la Pelikan M200, and the fine more of an EF a la M200 also.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)