Jet Mini-Lathe 1014 for Beginner

Steve H

I found a used Jet Mini-Lathe Model #1014 for $200.00 including six or so beginner's tools and a couple of pen kits. Is anyone familiar with this model/make that could recommend if it is something I should get for my first lathe?

Also I am looking into getting a bench top drill press. The guy at Woodcraft said bench top drills may not "travel" far enough for a pen blank. I thought of all the things you could drill a pen blank would need less distance to cover. Maybe I am wrong.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eagle

• Steve H

• bgray

• BigShed

I found a used Jet Mini-Lathe Model #1014 for $200.00 including six or so beginner's tools and a couple of pen kits. Is anyone familiar with this model/make that could recommend if it is something I should get for my first lathe?

Also I am looking into getting a bench top drill press. The guy at Woodcraft said bench top drills may not "travel" far enough for a pen blank. I thought of all the things you could drill a pen blank would need less distance to cover. Maybe I am wrong.

Steve, Jet Mini Lathes are OK, although some people have reported alignment problems, ie the poin in the tail stock doesn't line up exactly with the point in the head stock. Can't comment on the price as I don't know the new price in your neck of the woods.

As to drill presses, look for one with the greatest amount of travel of the quill, doesn't really relate to whether it is a bench top or a floor model. My drill press has about 80mm of quill travel. You don't have to do the drilling on a drill press, it can also be done on the lathe with a drill chuck mounted in the tail stock and the blank mounted in a 4 jaw chuck in the head stock.

There is lots of pen turning information on the IAP forum.

IAP Forum library

If the only reason for buying the drill press is to drill pen blanks, then pass on it.

My two cents and experience is that drilling pen blanks should always be done on the lathe.

You are drilling into endgrain. Because of this, when the drill exits the blank, the grain of the wood is more likely to grab the flutes, and pull the quill of the drill press down, leading to blowout.

On a lathe, the tailstock will not budge, eliminating the blowout.

Drilling on the lathe is more time consuming, but you will save all your expensive materials.

If the only reason for buying the drill press is to drill pen blanks, then pass on it.

My two cents and experience is that drilling pen blanks should always be done on the lathe.

You are drilling into endgrain. Because of this, when the drill exits the blank, the grain of the wood is more likely to grab the flutes, and pull the quill of the drill press down, leading to blowout.

On a lathe, the tailstock will not budge, eliminating the blowout.

Drilling on the lathe is more time consuming, but you will save all your expensive materials.

A blank CAN pull a Jacobs chuck and bit out of a tail stock while drilling(DAMHIKT).

If a draw bar is used it defeats the purpose of using the advancing feature of the tail stock.

That being said I find drilling on the lathe far more accurate than an inexpensive DP.(I have a Ryobi bench top with a 3&1/4" travel.)

For drilling most pen blanks accuracy is not an issue until you getinto segmented or patterend blanks.

The reason I would not buy a bench top DP agaiin is the fact the name implies it can be stored when not in use.(Yeah, right)

It is top heavy,unwieldly and needs a space to store it in the same size as when it is in use.

This is not to say a DP doesn't have use in a shop.I would get a floor model because storage space as in a cabinet can be made to fit under the DP table.

If you have a small shop sstorage space is always at a premium.

AS far as alignment issues witha Jet Mini (10-14) I have never read that is a problem.

Even if it were lateral adjustment is relatively easy.

I have a Jet mini manual speed and 2 Rikons.

I would buy either of them again.

$200.00 for a used lathe is not that great of a deal.

The turning tools can be bought for a song at Harbor freight($40.00 for a set of Windsor Design which used to sell at Wood Craft)

You can pick up a "mini set for pens for around $20.00 which is just about all I use.

The Jet min new sells for around $200.00 on sale.Even if it were $250.00 with that you get a 2 year warranty.

These prices are based on a 5 speed manual.

Jet also has had a VS model with an indexing head sell for $300.00.

I would look very closely at this "Deal"

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci

I've got the Jet 1014 and think it is great. While I have not used a lot of different lathes, it is obvious to me that the Jet would be hard to improve on without spending a lot more money. Alignment was perfect straight out of the box and it has done a lot of work in the two and a half years I've had it without missing a beat.

The only change I would make if buying again is to go for variable speed.

The Jet min new sells for around $200.00 on sale.

Stop it, you fiend! I do not need a lathe or another creative hobby! :)

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

I've got the Jet 1014 and think it is great. While I have not used a lot of different lathes, it is obvious to me that the Jet would be hard to improve on without spending a lot more money. Alignment was perfect straight out of the box and it has done a lot of work in the two and a half years I've had it without missing a beat.

The only change I would make if buying again is to go for variable speed.

If you can get VS with the indexing head for $300. I might agree but I can change speeds in less than 15 seconds one handed and the VS model isn't worth $100.00 more to me.

Besides it is not a true VS. you still have to change pulleys for the speed range.

Take a look at the Rikon mini, speed changing is a breeze, Larger capacity for about the same money

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci