What's your favorite paper size for social

Blade Runner

My favorites are:

Monarch: 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 inches (unfolded measurement). It is folded into thirds.

Crane's Kent letter sheets: 6 3/8 x 8 1/2 inches (unfolded measurment). It is folded in half.

Crane's also has an interesting "folded letter sheet": 10.25 x 7 3/8 inches (unfolded measurement). It is folded in half, then folded again in half, so this large sheet fits into a small envelope.

Regards,

J

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centurion

• Blade Runner

• Bill D

• Richard

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I produced more "social" correspondence, I'd probably develop preferences. :lol: As it is, virtually all of what I write is nib test sheets, done on my 5-1/4" x 8-1/2" pads (left below). When I write personal notes, I generally use another pad that's the same size (right).

http://www.richardspens.com/images/shared/nibs_by_rfb_pad.jpg http://www.richardspens.com/images/shared/from_fp_of_rb.jpg

I've also been known to pen a letter on a standard letter-size Ampad Gold Fibre pad...

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

My favorites are:

Monarch: 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 inches (unfolded measurement). It is folded into thirds.

Crane's Kent letter sheets: 6 3/8 x 8 1/2 inches (unfolded measurment). It is folded in half.

Crane's also has an interesting "folded letter sheet": 10.25 x 7 3/8 inches (unfolded measurement). It is folded in half, then folded again in half, so this large sheet fits into a small envelope.

Regards,

J

I like Monarch size, not unwielding in size . . . it's also identified as the man's size, while half sheets are supposedly for women.

I am not good at looking at measurements and then visualizing its size. Is the Kent half sheet the size of the traditional typical half size?

I've never seen the new Crane size, hmmm, gotta go into the Crane store and check it out.

My favorites are:

Regards,

J

I like Monarch size, not unwielding in size . . . it's also identified as the man's size, while half sheets are supposedly for women.

I am not good at looking at measurements and then visualizing its size. Is the Kent half sheet the size of the traditional typical half size?

I've never seen the new Crane size, hmmm, gotta go into the Crane store and check it out.

depends on the recipient and intent of the correspondence. For some friends I ramble ad nauseum so I like a full 8.5 x 11. For folks who might not be so tolerant of these ramblings, or simply don't have time, i will use the half-sheet notepads such as Jimmy Tom makes.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Is the Kent half sheet the size of the traditional typical half size?

Centurion,

I believe it is not. The Kent size is Crane's own unique size.

If you are looking for the traditional "Letter" size at Crane's, I'd say their "folded letter" (mentioned in my earlier post) comes closest, and

If you are looking for the traditional "Half letter" size at Crane's, their "folded note"

comes closest. Their "folded note" comes already folded in half and is 5 1/8 x 3 11/16 inches (folded measurement).

I'll try to post some sheets for size comparison later.

J

I write my daughter in college every day, and I like using the small Triomphe pads from Clairefontaine (5 3/4 x 8 1/4 inches) and the small FPN notepads (slightly smaller than the Cairefontaine) for my letters. I like that the FPN paper fits (folded once) in the Triomphe envelopes, which I REALLY like using.

Bill

I like the Crane's correspondence cards for sending NICE social notes, but I'm getting a set of Richard Binder's pen pads, that I think I will use with my more relaxed social letters - then everyone can know my love for fountain pens has completely gone out of control. B)

(The Crane cards don't open, they're just very heavy card stock, about 4x6 inches). :)

I only use A4 sized sheets, since they are the only avaliable ones.

When I intend to write a very short note I either use a sheet from my Omas Club notepad or I cut an A4 sheet in the middle.

Incidentally, I use a very good brand of Brazilian paper: Filipaper. It comes in a variety of textures and weights, but the ones I like most and that are notoriously pen friendly are (white, 90 gr/m2) Pérsico, Granitto, Vergé, Linho and Plissé.

Some of them are available at Livraria Saraiva, and if you are interested in them and need help with the language do not hesitate in contacting me.

The usual disclaimer, just a satisfied user.

I write my daughter in college every day, and I like using the small Triomphe pads from Clairefontaine (5 3/4 x 8 1/4 inches) and the small FPN notepads (slightly smaller than the Cairefontaine) for my letters. I like that the FPN paper fits (folded once) in the Triomphe envelopes, which I REALLY like using.

Bill

What's your opinion on the self-sealing Triomphe enevelopes, secure?? or do you put a piece of tape over it to make sure it doesn't open up via handling by the postal system.

...  I like that the FPN paper fits (folded once) in the Triomphe envelopes, which I REALLY like using. 

Bill

What's your opinion on the self-sealing Triomphe enevelopes, secure?? or do you put a piece of tape over it to make sure it doesn't open up via handling by the postal system.

I find them more secure than lick-to-stick envelopes. Quick & convenient, too, and how they taste irrelevant :rolleyes:

Bill

I have always liked the sound of writing a short note on a "Chit". A chit measures 5 3/8 x 4 1/8 inches.

The OED says chit (in this context) is an abbreviation of chitty (Hindustani in origin) and is a written paper, a note; a note of an order, sum owed, etc.

Chit- chat which may be related, means of course, light familiar conversation.

j

My favorites are:

Regards,

J

I keep 3 sizes of paper in my writing folder. Full sheet, Monarch and half sheet. I pick the size to match the amount of writing I think I'll do. I also have some really thick correspondence cards of Crane which I usually put in a pen package I'm sending out. I really need to get some envelopes that match the correspondence cards to use them more for correspondence.

Kurt H

Like another member mentioned before, it depends on who I'm writing too.

Full sheets of parchment are used for people who write me! Half sheets of colored paper from Kinko's are for people who never write me back.

I've used standard 24lb printer paper if I'm adding drawings or designs to it.

Crane Ecru(?) typically gets used when I'm showing off or trying to get someone to write back... :blush:

And I've got some -- (shoot!! I've got the paper, but lost the holder it came in.. Tabula Rosa? Anyway, it is white, 75% cotton and does have some tooth. Ink colors just look so good on it...)

But it usually depends on how much I have to say. I don't like to use more than two sheets in an envelope. If I've got more to say, then I'll try to write more often!

There is also a hierarchy to the pen or dip nib and ink used. But that is another topic! :lol:

"It's a .... poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson