ST Dupont Blue Black

girlieg33k

-- Click the thumbnail image to view the review in 800-pixels (default)

-- Click the links below the thumbnail image to view the review in alternative views (600-pixels, 1200-pixels, or full-size)

Usual disclaimer: Colour representation is not always accurate in a scanned image, reproduction of the scanned image in different computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper combinations.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aslan

• Melnicki

• davidwholt

• HesNot

Nice! I don't suppose it's waterproof...? Thanks for the recent batch of ink reviews/scans!

Doug

Ooh, that's gorgeous, Kate. Sadly, I sought this ink out the last time I was in Paris and was told it had been discontinued. Too bad, because it looks on my screen like an ideal blue-black. Thanks for the review,

David

I WANT THIS INK.

Let's start a letter-writing campaign to ST Dupont to see if they will put it back into production.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I would buy this ink IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner! Dupont needs to bring it back. Anyone got a hoard they'd like to sell? How about a recipe that produces this color?

John

John

What is the recipe for the mix that is close to this color?

That is one of my all time favorite colors. I received a hand written letter and was very impressed by this shade - sadly it is nearly impossible to find in bottles from what I can tell. I like it enough I have thought about buying cartridges and emptying them into a bottle so I could use it...

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Didn't realise Dupont did this colour at all - must get some cartridges and try it - looks really nice.

M

Edited by Monsieur Dupont

You mention in your review that you have come up with a mix that is very close to this color. Could you post it for the rest of us? This stuff is impossible to find except in cartridges, which I don't use.

Thanks much,

John

John

You mention in your review that you have come up with a mix that is very close to this color. Could you post it for the rest of us? This stuff is impossible to find except in cartridges, which I don't use.

Thanks much,

John

Never mind (unless you've changed the mix). I found it here.

John

John

Didn't realise Dupont did this colour at all - must get some cartridges and try it - looks really nice.

M

I love the colour in Kate's scan and plan to follow her recipe, so I stopped by our only decent local ink supplier in Philadelphia which, unfortunately, didn't have any DuPont ink in bottles. They did, however, have cartridges; being impatient I bought some just to see what I might expect to mix up when I finally track down some bottles. Perhaps they had a bad batch, but the ink in these cartridges is unbelievably pale and watery; what's more, like Waterman's Blue-Black it changes from blue to teal after it dries (there's a radical change within about ten minutes); I reckon that if you diluted Waterman's Blue-Black c. 2:1 (or even 3:1) water:ink (yes, water:ink, not vice versa) you would end up with something similar to this. Nice colour for a shirt, but it's not blue-black. The packaging, incidentally, gives the colour two different names: one edge reads BLEU NUIT, the other BLUE BLACK (in a thread elsewhere it is suggested that, at least when these were available in bottles, they were two different colours). The little box with a colour sample next to the name, however, looks like Kate's scan.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the cartridges?

Simon

• 2 months later...

i recently have seen a paper sample of this from GirleG33k, and WOW. it is THE blue-black, as far as I'm concerned. It's dark, but definitely blue. It's blacker than PR Black Magic Blue. It's bluer and less-black than Van Gogh Starry Night. Greyer than PR Midnight Blues. Very close to Manhattan Blue, but greyer. new skrip blue black is similar if it goes down wet, but otherwise it's too light. Ellis Island is too black, too greenish.

I don't like blueblacks, nor blue, but I want this ink!!!

I tried making a mix to replicate it (and failed!) with DCSS and Lex Grey and N's Black. Unfortunately, it looks too greenish (shades nice though!), so I'm going to have to start over again. I'm wondering if I should use a less-saturated Blue (I have Glacier Blue), a different black (Standard Black is yellowish, which could have made the green), or use a dark brown to darken (remember that awesome blue-"black" scan by someone a few months ago? Or I could use some purple with the blue?

i'd like everyone to put their heads to this, because i just haven't seen a blue-black ink to look like this!!! it's incredible.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

i'd like everyone to put their heads to this, because i just haven't seen a blue-black ink to look like this!!! it's incredible.

As I learned about in defending my MS thesis,

about maybe making things more complicated than necessary,

could this be a case for Occam's Razor? *

My thoughts when I discovered DuPont blue-black is unavailable

were to mix something like 4 parts of their blue with 1 part of their black

(admittedly I'm looking for something substantially blue).

Haven't tried this yet, but for one thing should minimize

what I understand can be undesirable outcomes.

As when mixing say an acidic ink with more neutral one,

the resulting ink may have hardly any of the good qualities of either,

or some kind of sludge might precipitate out of the solution.

(OK, worst case I know, but why not start out simple?)

http://www.2think.org/occams_razor.shtml *

"William of Occam (or Ockham) (1284-1347) was an English philosopher and theologian. His work on knowledge, logic and scientific inquiry played a major role in the transition from medieval to modern thought. He based scientific knowledge on experience and self-evident truths, and on logical propositions resulting from those two sources. In his writings, Occam stressed the Aristotelian principle that entities must not be multiplied beyond what is necessary. This principle became known as Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor or the law of parsimony. A problem should be stated in its basic and simplest terms. In science, the simplest theory that fits the facts of a problem is the one that should be selected.

This rule is interpreted to mean that the simplest of two or more competing theories is preferable and that an explanation for unknown phenomena should first be attempted in terms of what is already known."

<snip>

Edited by davidwholt

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

i haven't done too much blue-black mixing, but it seems to be quite difficult from what i've seen so far. it's very easy for it to go too greenish (which is probably why so many BB's are greenish). I think it really depends on how purple the blue is and which black you use, and if you've added water at all. i've gotten close by starting with a purple-black and adding a medium blue to it progressively.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

I'm with Charlie on this one... Will someone with greater sway than I....PLEASE contact ST Dupont and get this ink back on the market???

Just stunning!

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I see CharlieB already thought of this

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=469943

My thoughts when I discovered DuPont blue-black is unavailable

were to mix something like 4 parts of their blue with 1 part of their black.

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

• 7 months later...

This color looks beautiful. Thanks much for the review. I don't know anything about this company, but found it in a google search: http://www.inkpalette.com/prod.htm#stdu

The first site lists a "night blue", along with black, and royal blue.

and this one: http://www.theinkflow.com/cgi-bin/commerce...p;key=DPX040150

The second one lists black, blue, and violet.

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• 2 years later...

Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor ...the barber was a boy or a woman. :unsure:

After running across that question of whom shaved who, for 40 years, that answer came to me when I grew a beard.

That is one real nice Blue-black. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.