Taccia Staccato Olive Ebonite

ArPharazon

The Taccia Staccato in Olive Ebonite

A fine pen made better with the right material . . .

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdod1fyLI/AAAAAAAAACo/UyH4chwhAeE/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_041.JPG

Here is my review of the Taccia Staccato fountain pen, which I recently purchased in a beautiful olive colored ebonite. I think the Staccato is a wonderful pen, and this one is extra special due to the unusual material from which it's made.

First Impressions -- 5/5

The pen -- which I purchased from Todd at iSellPens.com -- arrived in a substantial box. Unlike my prior 'Starry Night' resin Staccato, this box was much wider than usual . . . closer to the shape of a large paperback book. The box was covered in black faux leather with gold lettered Taccia on the top, and came packaged in a protective cardboard sleeve -- also black, and also with the Taccia name in gold. The inside of the box is black satin, with a plastic clip underneath to cradle the pen and a pocket in the cover. The pen itself came packaged in a cellophane sheath. There were no papers with the pen.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdf91fyII/AAAAAAAAACQ/0Hz-s0QUXXo/s400/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_016.JPGhttp://lh6.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPde91fyHI/AAAAAAAAACI/LECrz4NqWn0/s400/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_015.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdd91fyGI/AAAAAAAAACA/JCBxRdq5ZOU/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_014.JPG

Appearance -- 5/5

This is truly a beautiful pen. To me, the Staccato has a very smooth, lean look. The pen is double jewelled, with each one made from the same material as the cap and body, and set in gold plated bezels. The cap sports three thin gold trim bands near the bottom, and has a sensuously curved solid clip, also plated in gold. Unfortunately, the clip is not spring loaded.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdrt1fyMI/AAAAAAAAACw/KQLQokDFNdg/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_046.JPG

With the cap removed, you can see that there is a subtle curve present in the barrel . . . both the end and the section are a bit narrower than the middle, which bows out slightly to give the shape some character. The center of the barrel is discretely stamped with the name "Taccia Staccato" . . . barely visible in the grained ebonite. The section is made from the same ebonite as the barrel and cap. It has a small flare at the nib end, and is wonderfully comfortable to hold. The pen is finished with a large, two-toned 'IPG' steel nib that fits the look of the pen perfectly.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdyN1fyPI/AAAAAAAAADM/BLNcc7rTEeU/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_056.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdlt1fyKI/AAAAAAAAACg/mdJvKyrJ1jg/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_039.JPG

The real star of this pen, however, is the beautiful grained ebonite from which it is made. The material is a beautiful olive color with streaks of black running through it, very much like wood grain. I've seen pictures of similar ebonite in brown, or red, or even green . . . but never in this shade of light olive. The color goes very well with the gold trim and gold plating on the nib, and really stands out from the pack.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPc1N1fyEI/AAAAAAAAABw/lwUUAHCpnoU/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_032.JPG

Design -- 5/5

The ebonite Staccato is definitely an oversized pen. It measures about 6 1/16" when capped and 5 5/16" uncapped, with a max diameter of 5/8" on the cap, 9/16" at widest part of the barrel, and 7/16" at the section. As you can see below, the pen is noticeably longer than a Pelikan M1000, and is in fact a bit longer than a standard, resin Staccato. This seems to be due mainly to a difference in the placement of the threads in the cap, as both pens have identically sized bodies and nearly identical caps.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPjA91fySI/AAAAAAAAAD8/kxn9n7t0Dk8/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_066.JPG

In spite of its size, the pen is very light due to the ebonite body. It is very well balanced and comfortable to write with unposted (I don't post, so I can't really comment on that). While not spring-loaded, the clip feels sturdy and easily clips onto heavy cloth. The workmanship is top notch, with a lustrous finish, smooth threads, and a well-put-together feel. The pen requires about 1 1/4 turns to remove the cap. After a session of spirited writing, the pen gives off a faint whiff of rubber, apparently characteristic of ebonite pens. That takes a bit of getting used to . . .

Nib -- 5/5

The pen comes with a large, two-toned steel nib stamped "Iridium Point Germany". I'm no nib snob, and aside from a bit of flex find very little difference between a good steel nib and a 14kt or even 18kt gold nib. The nib on this pen is a beaut . . . very smooth right out of the box. I don't keep 'out of the box' nibs for long, however, as I grind them myself into Cursive Italics nearly as soon as I get them. I ordered this pen with a Bold nib, and was able to grind a wonderfully smooth CI nib that gives me nice line variation. The pen writes a nice wet -- but not too wet -- line. So far I have had absolutely zero problems with hesitation, skipping, blobbing, drying, or any other possible writing problem.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdvN1fyOI/AAAAAAAAADE/Ds8eiUL0LFc/s400/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_054.JPGhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPdtd1fyNI/AAAAAAAAAC4/LqCE1SNQUiU/s400/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_051.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBP0id1fyTI/AAAAAAAAAEE/VsZpM6rtlJY/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_068.JPG

Fill Mechanism -- 5/5

The pen comes with a rather typical C/C filler mechanism. The packaged converter is of a pretty high quality, and seems to be as large or maybe a bit larger than any others I've seen. However, I never even bothered to try the converter. I had previously converted my resin Staccato into an eyedrop filler, both to increase the ink capacity, and also to address a problem it had with drying out while writing. Since that conversion worked so well, I immediately did the same for this Staccato. I just removed the converter, spread a generous helping of silicone grease onto the threads, and filled it up. So far, after carrying it up and back and using it at work for a week, it has not had a single problem with leaks of any kind.

Value -- 5/5

I purchased the pen for $110 plus shipping, which per my understanding is a pretty darn good price for a large ebonite pen of this caliber. This is in fact only $15 more than the standard resin version of the Staccato pen. I think it was an awesome value for the money.

The Final Verdict -- 5/5

Can you tell that I love this pen? If it wasn't evident, then I'll just say it . . . I LOVE THIS PEN! Probably my favorite at the moment . . . though it's in close contention with my Rio Grande Red Bexley Americana (review will be coming). I really can't find anything wrong with it . . . it's beautiful and classy, comfortable, large yet light, writes like a dream, and holds a ton of ink. Not sure if these are still available, but it'd be a shame (for you) if they're not. As Ferris Bueller said . . . "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dkulmacz/SBPd0N1fyQI/AAAAAAAAADU/cErG1-J-mBQ/s800/Staccato_Olive_Ebonite_060.JPG

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant

that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• ArPharazon

• goodguy

• Abhik

I have one and fully agree with this review. Find this pen and get it.

Great review.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

As much as I've tried to love olive ebonite, I'm just not capable of it. Alas.

I've been meaning to pick up a Taccia; last time I tried to order one, FPH had to cancel my backorder because the color was discontinued.

Thanks for the review, it's prodding me to find another pen. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Most unusual color and texture. Thanks for the comprehensive write-up.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Great review and great pen.I must admit though that I am a bit put off by the nib.

Respect to all

Great Review. I have quite a few Staccatos left but they will sell fast. Taccia only made a few of the Ebonote that I sold out.

Isellpens.com is closing out the Taccia Line. Prices will be slashed today so

check my site soon for a great buy on my remaining stock. I also will be selling the spare nibs and feeds. So, for you Taccia owner's it might not be a bad idea to buy an extra as they may be hard to find in the future as less dealer's now sell this line.

I must admit though that I am a bit put off by the nib.

Just curious . . . what's wrong with the nib? Is it a general aversion of steel or 'IPG' nibs? If so, you should give them a try because they are actually quite sweet writers. Generally Taccia's are offered with 14k gold nibs for about $50 or $60 more, too. I can't say this is specifically offered on this pen, but I'm pretty sure the other Staccatos have this option so I don't know why these would not.

If it's any particular about the nib I've shown (which admittedly looks a bit grungy), chalk that up to the photos . . . in person the nib is shiney and a very normal, pleasing gold color.

Generally Taccia's are offered with 14k gold nibs for about $50 or $60 more, too. I can't say this is specifically offered on this pen, but I'm pretty sure the other Staccatos have this option so I don't know why these would not.

At Swisher's, the steel-nibbed pen is $151.20 and the gold-nibbed pen is $247.20, so the difference in cost is $96. In this case, though, the gold nib is 18k, not 14k.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Oops. Double post.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

I must admit though that I am a bit put off by the nib.

Just curious . . . what's wrong with the nib? Is it a general aversion of steel or 'IPG' nibs? If so, you should give them a try because they are actually quite sweet writers. Generally Taccia's are offered with 14k gold nibs for about $50 or $60 more, too. I can't say this is specifically offered on this pen, but I'm pretty sure the other Staccatos have this option so I don't know why these would not.

If it's any particular about the nib I've shown (which admittedly looks a bit grungy), chalk that up to the photos . . . in person the nib is shiney and a very normal, pleasing gold color.

I actualy had a pen with such a nib and indeed it was a nice writer.

I am ashamed to admit why I am a bit put off by the nib.

1.When I spend so much on a pen I like to see a piece of gold stuck to the end even though I am well aware that it doesnt mean in anyway that the pen will write better

2.If I buy a Taccia pen I want it to have a Taccia nib and not some after market nib that the maker put to reduce costs.I am quit a perfectionist and purist when it comes to pens.

I dont have an Ebonit pen and more and more I am concidering to put an Ebonit pen on my future buy list.When I saw your pen I was hammered of how beautiful it is.I think Taccia is creazy for not continuing to produce this gorgeous pen and for such a good price too.

Respect to all

Congratulations! That is a beautiful pen....I love ebonite...and your Taccia is one fine looking example!

At $110...I want one too....and as I don't post most of my pens...the length is not an issue...

Great review...

Peter

Great Review!

I love this pen!

If I'm not being too bold, where might one find a similar pen for a similar price?

Thanks!

Scott.

Great review. Interestingly, this pen looks to be identical the Molteni Curukova with the exception of the nib. The Curukova has an 18K nib. I believe the Molteni to be made by Bexley. Is the Staccato manufactured by Bexley for Taccia?

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I have the pen in the original woodgrain ebonite version and it's a great pen. My only complaint is that it takes about 5 turns to remove the cap. From the review, it looks like Taccia corrected that in this new release.

Wonderful pen and very well written review covering all corners!

I want one! But where do I get? This one not listed in Isellpens Site!

Thanks again for sharing this pen1

Abhik.

Swisher still has them. :)

I ordered one from swisher yesterday but the colour seems different.

It cost me $151 plus shipping.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

I ordered one from swisher yesterday but the colour seems different.

The old color monitor shift! Mine looks like the color of the one in your post.

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

I bought mine from iSellPens.com (no affiliation) . . . I think Todd may be sold out now.

Capturing this color is difficult . . . mine is not quite like it appears in my photos. Not quite as 'bright' in everyday use, perhaps due to the lighting I used for the pics (light tent with several hundred watts of halogen lighting). Of all of the pics, it seems the most accurate is the one I've taken with it sitting in the box.

Also, I was told that the colors of the individual pens can vary based on the particular piece of material from which it was made.