Morrison pen

simp

Hi,

I'd like to know some more about this pen company, all I found were some references about it here:

http://www.pensandwatches.com/_pages/pen_c...pen_company.htm

and a very nice description of the Patriot model here:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=collection/col_ix.htm

but I cannot find any date (excepted for the 1942 creation of the patriot model)

Does anyone know when this company was founded? When it ceased operation, or some info on other models?

Thank you

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simp

• inkstainedruth

• GlenV

• Neatman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's some guy around here who has a site about them and Moore but I can't remember the name of the site or this man's name. Maybe he'll show up. Morrison made some very nice looking pens.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Simp,

My old 1920s marbled flexy Morrison is one of my favorite writers, loaded with Havana brown. Using it on vintage postcards is always fun. I bought it in error at the Philly show thinking it read "Moore" on the clip. Lucky me; now I have both a Morrison and a Moore.

Fred

There's some guy around here who has a site about them and Moore but I can't remember the name of the site or this man's name. Maybe he'll show up. Morrison made some very nice looking pens.

I hope so, because there are very few info about these pens, and I'm a bit curious about them because they seem quite nice...

Simone

I don't think I am the guy with the Morrison site, but can shed a little bit of information on them. I am sure there are others that can give more definitive historical fact here. Morrison was located in New York and may have been part of a larger "holding company". Several pens showed up with the distinctive "M" on their clip. Here are a few. (Morton, Morrison, Marathon, Nassau) There are several threads in the Pen History Forum regarding Morton and Marathon which may be helpful. I also have read that Arrow pens may have been affiliated with Morrison as well.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/morrison%20pen%20family/DSC_0007-13.jpg

Over the years there were a few different NY addresses for Morrison. Here is a more current box - as you can see it claims a date back to 1910

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/morrison%20pen%20family/DSC_0002-3.jpg

and a few more Morrison (and family) Pens

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/morrison%20pen%20family/DSC_0010-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/morrison%20pen%20family/DSC_0018-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/morrison%20pen%20family/DSC_0006-10-1.jpg

They made some nice second or third tier pens over the years. I wish I had more specific ownership or date information for you. Perhaps someone else will have some. Good luck in your quest.

Phil

They made some nice second or third tier pens over the years. I wish I had more specific ownership or date information for you. Perhaps someone else will have some. Good luck in your quest.

Phil

You gave a lot of nice photos and some very useful information, I found also in a book a reference to 1910, so I'm using this as the foundation date (adding a link to this thread).

Thank you

Simone

• 1 month later...

http://queenmargot.com/overlay1.jpg

I was also looking into the history of Morrison, because of the great overlay I recently acquired

In a product description of the Patriot on fountainpenemporium.com, I came upon this: "...The Patriot. A 1942 Military Fountain Pen manufactured by the Morrison Pen Company founded in 1918 as the Kikaku Seisakusyo company, the companys name was changed in 1933 to the Morrison Company. "

However this description is apparently incorrect. In this FPN thread, several people point out that Kikaku Seisakusyo was the Morison Pen Copany (with 1 "r"), not Morrison (with 2 "r"s), and that these have nothing to do with each other.

From what I can find, the 2-r Morrison Company dates back to 1908-1910 and ceased production shortly after 1950.

Edited by QM2

I don't think I am the guy with the Morrison site, but can shed a little bit of information on them. I am sure there are others that can give more definitive historical fact here. Morrison was located in New York and may have been part of a larger "holding company". Several pens showed up with the distinctive "M" on their clip. Here are a few. (Morton, Morrison, Marathon, Nassau) There are several threads in the Pen History Forum regarding Morton and Marathon which may be helpful. I also have read that Arrow pens may have been affiliated with Morrison as well.

Over the years there were a few different NY addresses for Morrison. Here is a more current box - as you can see it claims a date back to 1910

I belive that some of these (Morton for certain) were part of a company by the name of the Union Fountain Pen co, of which Morrison was one of the directors. They were busted by the FTC for fictitous pricing (putting $7 stickers on a pen that sold for $3) in the 1930s, so I have a little information on them. Have to dig it out though.

There was also a Marathon Pen Co with it's own incorporation etc.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 8 years later...

Howdy folks...I'm trying to discover the maker of this pen. I think it may be a Morrison but there are no identifying markings other than the word "glide" imprinted on the size of the pen. The body shape and clip appear to be very Morrison like. If this is not best location for this post, can someone recommend a better area of the site to present this question?

post-133223-0-60581300-1481326301_thumb.jpg

post-133223-0-38459500-1481326321_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Were you able to discover additional facts about your pen? I am considering adding one to my collection. How's the nib?

Verba volant, scripta manent

"spoken words fly away, written words remain".

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing around with some old pens and came across a green Nassau pen that Ive had for years.

I cant read what the nib says for the life of me, but I filled it with Diamine Kensington Blue and am just amazed at how nicely it writes.....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1580604875__0c71368c-1360-4d5f-9701-ec1d0fa52f5e.jpeg

Didn't realize at first that this was a resurrected thread. I was admiring the pen that QM2 had posted. I have a couple of ringtops with similar overlays, and would dearly love to add a sterling silver one to the stash, at some point.

Interestingly enough, a number of companies made pens with similar looking overlays. I bought my first Morrison at my first pen show. I was waffling a little over the price but the friend who went down to DCSS with me (FPN member Uncle Red) was at the next table over and said "If you don't buy it I will!" In retrospect I think he thought it was a Waterman, because I've seen old Waterman lever fillers for sale with similar overlays (although possibly 14K instead of gold-filled like on the Morrison). That first one was restored when I bought it, and has a lovely juicy stub nib with a bit of flex to it -- but it doesn't leave the house any more -- it has a bad habit of unscrewing itself from the cap when I have it on the lanyard.... :glare:

Last fall at the Ohio Pen Show, I saw several pens that I thought at first were either Morrisons or Watermans. I think one was a Townsend (?) and there's at least one other company out there besides, but I don't recall what it is offhand.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting issues

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm kind of excited about a recent project pen that is a wood grain HR Morrison but mostly because of how it turned out, it lacked a clip or inner cap, bad thread crack that I sleeved with brass. Cracked cap from when someone removed the clip, it's nice looking to me now, although many faults am happy to have it. The quality seems about similar to Eclipse pens of the time to me. I stole a clip from a cheap pen and shaped and pinned on...am quite happy with this one, the section, which may have been the only good part, is really pretty.

post-146565-0-89658800-1580656479_thumb.jpeg

Regards, Glen

That's a nice looking pen! I haven't seen one of those before (very often on eBay one finds Morrison Tourists or the military design ones, and of course the two styles of metal overlays over BHR, but I've never seen one that was woodgrain).

Come to think, Eclipse might have been the fourth brand with the same looking overlay design.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Phil's HR pen earlier in this thread is the only similar one I had seen, but it has different pattern it appears. I did find this advert though the source says it's from 1930 .. I used this as a source for info about the clip.

post-146565-0-19952000-1580687012_thumb.jpeg

Regards, Glen