Hero Pens

Macuser

Today I filled my Hero 187, fine nib, as it ran out of ink quickly from the first time. This time, using the methods described above, I actually see some ink in the part of the sac that is visible.

The pen writes very nicely, but it seems to be writing much more wet than my other pens. I'm using Noodler's black, which is usually considered more dry I thought. Anyone else experience a more wet line with Hero pens?

Yes it's a wet writer and I just noticed that with my 329. I had it filled with Montblanc Blue and some words smeared. The wetness makes the ink color look really nice though. I'm going to have to fill it up with Parker Quink blue next and see if that blue looks better on this wet writer. I really love the pen though!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macuser

• pvdiamon

• Betty

• Kelly

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Hero 100s in fine point. One is the "flighter" stainless version.

Both get used and abused and are among the most behaved and trustworthy pens I have.

Bill

There are a number of high end Hero pens with 14k and 18k nibs being offered on Ebay for very reasonable prices. Some are sterling silver or otherwise exotic looking pens. The seller has a high feedback score and seems to have sold many of these pens which are shipped from Japan. Is there anyone who has had experience with these Hero pens?

I have two Hero 100s in fine point. One is the "flighter" stainless version.

Both get used and abused and are among the most behaved and trustworthy pens I have.

Bill

I got a Hero 100 flighter too which I love!!! That has no smearing issues with Noodler's Black in it. Maybe it's the Montblance blue ink that's really easy to smear or it's the 329. Still love it though! The 329 is finer and wetter than the 100.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Okay. I have a lot of Hero pens. I travel to China pretty regularly and just returned from a 4 month stint there (directing a study abroad program). Here is my list in order of price and quality.

Hero 2019 (beautiful celluloid with platinum trim and a 14k springy nib)

Hero 300 (12k nib)

Hero 100 (a burgandy and a teal with 14k nibs, one fine, one fine-medium)

And the steel nibbed (cheaper) pens

Hero 329 (several in all three colors, black, teal, burgandy)

Hero 616 (several, in both the full size and small size, in the same three colors)

Hero, 800, 508, 385, 373-1, 56-A, 372-2, 509, 2E, 507, 36B, 33A, and a few others.

I keep some of these around to sell or trade. Most are pretty reliable writers. I usually keep some 329's or 616's on my desk to grade papers as I llike the XF nibs for writing in margins. They are so inexpensive in China that I can't help myself when I am there. Going through securityy in Shanghai was interesting as I had all these small metal "tubes" in my carry-on (about 20 on this last trip). for the money they are a pretty decent pen, though only the top pens really compare with my western pens in terms of quality of craftsmanship and reliability.

BTW, duke is making some pretty nice pens these days as well.

Matt

I just got a Hero 100 Gold and a Hero 616 today. Obviously not near the fit and finish of the Parkers they mimic, but the Hero 100 Gold is actually quite a nice pen for $30 bucks.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I see that the 616 comes in two sizes. Which is closest to a Parker "51"? And is the other smaller or bigger?

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Sidney, the "bigger" 616 would be closer in size to the 51. Actually, closer to the 21, in my opinion. I have the smaller Hero 616 and it's slimmer than my Mark II Parker 21 and much smaller than my Super 21. Fit and finish on the 616 is a bit crude, but then again, it's such an inexpensive item. I'd say go with the 100 if you want a nicer Hero fountain pen.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I just got my Gold Hero 100 today, and while it's well-made and nice to look at... I don't think I like fine lines! I really only seem to like italic nibs - there must be something wrong with me. I also got a pretty Hero 2004, but that's also a fine round nib - and I seem to be a weirdo who desperately wants line variation only. The service from isellpens.com (Todd) was amazingly fast, though. I think I have some calligraphy hero pens on order from Waimar, but that service has been significantly slower (i can't believe how fast Todd at isellpens.com was!).

• 6 months later...

I really like the 100's... because they are smooth and have a nice weight. They also have a higher end look to them --somehow the acrylic/plastic is better than the 329 and the 616. However, I like the 616 because they really look like a parker with the parker arrow cap. I would suggest though getting the jumbo. I have small hands and even the non-jumbo seems too small more me.

I also use the 616's for writing in ink that I think would be harmful to the more expensive pens I have such as browns and reds....

Cheapest price is at isellpens.com. at 27.99 plus shipping. The owner, Todd is very responsive.

• 8 years later...

I use quite a few Hero pens and really enjoy them. The one I use the most is a 007 in black that usually has PR Ebony/Green in it.

I have very large hands, but in spite of it's being a slim pen, it feels "just right". Never had a problem with it.

Most Heros cost less than lunch at a fast food joint, and they're better for you ;)