British Ink Sample Exchange

5ml vials are still sold by Scuddlebut on eBay in bags of 50 with lids HERE for £6.50 plus a quid or so PnP.

You can get at least four or five vials inside the Large Letter 90p weight limit and providing you only use one layer of bubblewrap inside a small 6x8" Jiffy Bag you will be inside the 1" thickness check too. Just look at how the samples I have just posted to you are packaged and you will see. Those small Jiffy Bags can be got cheaply in packs of ten for about £1.99 from the Ali's Cave type shops - much cheaper than buying them singly from the Post Office.

By the way, folks, I have just updated my post #57 list of inks to include Household Ammonia 10% for those people who want to try the Diamine Registrar's (or any other Iron Gall from anyone else for that matter). Read Pharmacist's advice on cleaning pens both before and after switching to Iron Gall and you will see why the Ammonia is so good. In short it shifts any dye-based ink.

I don't intend Iron Gall cleaning to become a discussion here but the routine is as follows...

a) First a thorough water flush to remove as much ink as possible. This includes inside the cap.

B) Next soak the section in white household vinegar for a good ten minutes. This is to allow the iron salts to dissolve in the acid of the vinegar. It will not harm the material in modern nibs and feeds (as many inks are way more acidic than simple vinegar).

c) Flush the pen with water again

d) Soak the pen for a good ten minutes in diluted Household Ammonia to dissolve any dye residues. You must do this AFTER the vinegar because if you do it the other way round then the iron salts will react badly with the ammonia and form a tacky sludge that WILL clog the feed.

e) Flush the pen with water again.

Household Ammonia is sold in bottles at 10% strength. This is still pretty concentrated and should be diluted tenfold again (effectively down to 1% ammonia). Simply put 5ml of Household Ammonia straight from the bottle into 45ml cold water and you instantly have the correct 1% concentration. It is no longer sold in supermarkets but is widely available online.

So, if any of you want a sample of Ammonia to assist in pen cleaning, consider it available. You can easily get your own given a quick Google but if you wanted to try a Diamine Registrar's sample, feel free to ask for a sample of the Ammonia to help with the post-IG cleanup at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• Fanatyk

• chris.hale

• mercurius

Hey Guys

I thought I would throw my hat in the ring.

Ideally I would like to try inks I haven’t tried before. PM me to arrange something.

I have the following inks:

Diamine:

Royal Blue

Damson

Violet

Sherwood Green

Sepia

Ochre

Burnt Sienna

Oxblood

Poppy Red

J. Herbin

Lie de The

Lierre Sauvage

Waterman

Florida/Serenity Blue

Purple

Noodlers

Bulletproof Black

Parker Quink

Blue-Black

Pelikan

4001 Brilliant Black

Thanks In Advance

Phil

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I'd love to be part of this exchange. My collection is very small as yet but growing.

Diamine - Saddle Brown

Diamine - Umber

More soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed the more current posts.. must have missed a page, either way.

I currently have:

J. Herbin:

Orange indien

Bleu Azur

Gris Nuage

Encre Ambre (Parfumée Orange)

Yard-o-led:

Blue/Black

• 1 month later...

I got some ink samples that I dont want.

Roher & Klinger - Cassia

Diamine - Amaranth

J Heblin - Rose Cyclamen

Iroshizuku - Chiku Rin

Except for the Chiku, which I filled a pen with, the rest have only been dipped for testing.

If you in the UK and want them let me know and PM me your address. I will send them through no charge (that is why I can only do it in the UK :-)

May have more shortly so watch this space.

EDIT at 23h18 - THESE HAVE NOW BEEN TAKEN.

Edited by Stompie

I have some inks to exchange.....

Noodlers...

Burma Road Brown

Black

Tianamen

Baystate blue

Nightshade

Navy

Waterman.....

Florida blue

Blue black

Green

Havana brown

Violet

Pelikan....

Blue

Blue black

Edelstein topaz

Turquoise

Lamy..

Blue black

Montblanc...

Midnight

Diamine....

Raw Sienna

Eau de nil

Midnight

Steel blue

Asa blue

Bilberry

Pumpkin

Green/ black

Claret

Syrah

Teal

Imperial purple

Graphite

Grey

Quink Parker...

Blue

Blue black

Didn't realise how many I had.....

Edited by Pensandinks

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

Is this restricted to both sides of the exchange being in the UK, or can you take part from elsewhere in the EU? I have several bottles of Herbin and some older Sheaffer and Waterman inks that I would like to use up because I am looking to shift toward using mostly samples, since I find that aside from 2-3 inks that are mainstays I much prefer to mix it up to keep things interesting - the full-size bottles that were my only option for doing this before discovering the magic of Goulet ink samples are now taking up space on my shelf that I'd rather use for Moar Samples :P

I don't want to bore people with the whole list of what I have (the list of what I want is short - Any Darn Thing) so please let me know whether this would work! I can get the same vials you use, no problem, so it should be fine on that side of things :-)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

While some folks like to exchange inks, to be honest I think many just put up Offer details, not asking for anything in return.

The same goes for where folks will ship to. This thread is mainly for the UK but to be honest it is only a little extra to ship to the EU. Worldwide offers are to be found too, but generally for folks requesting only a couple of samples.

If you see someone in this list with an Offer who also doesn't seem to be asking for anything in return, just PM them and ask. "Please can I try..." Requests are going to be answered with "Yes, of course...". After all, we love to share.

Hello All

I am interested in exchanges within the UK too.

I have the following to exchange:

Parker Quink Red

Parker Quink Light Blue (I am not sure this is the correct name--the label is torn--but it is a correct description of the colour)

Diamine Monaco Red

Private Reserve Dakota Red

Noodler's Red

R&K Morinda

Akkerman Garuda Rood

Akkerman China Town Red

Akkerman Rood Haags Pluche

I am interested in the following particularly:

Aurora Black

Diamine Jet Black

Diamine Majestic Blue

Montblanc Midnight Blue #

Noodler’s Tiannamen Red #

OMAS Vespucci Red (discontinued)

Pelikan 4001 Black #

Waterman Florida Blue #

The ones marked with a hash are ones that I have recently PM'ed people about a swap, so I might be OK with those for now.

Send me a PM if you are interested in a swap.

Thanks

David.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for some sample pots, but I'd like to participate in this, so offer:

Diamine:

Ruby

Apple Glory

Graphite

Ochre

Dragon Red

Private Reserve:

Ebony Purple

I'm interested in almost anything! I'd really like to try FP friendly Iron-Gall inks, as well as many of the Noodlers ones.

Best wishes

Robin

Instagram @inkysloth

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys.

I would like to put my list up

osmiroid brown,

watermand encre violet,
waterman green

hero perminant black
lamy turquoise
diamine sargaso sea

Im in hong kong, and I can send out the ink samples for free,

I would just ask that you send me some sample bottles and ill fill them up and send them on..

(of course if you want to send me a few extra sample bottles that would be welcome :) )

Has anyone used the 1oz nalgene bottles they seem great !?!?

Dan.

Having completed the tidy-up of my ink boxes, I have updated my list of available colours and can confirm that all bottles are very recent.

LINK : My list of available Diamines

Danleaf - You might want to get your list moved into the main Ink Exchange thread as I suspect you will get more eyeballs on your selection over there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have:

Far more Waterman Florida Blue long cartridges (long international) than I will ever use, given I only have one pen that takes long internationals and I don't like that pen.

Far FAR more short international blue cartridges than I will ever use.

If you'd like a few, PM me your address & I'll pop some off to you.

I'd like:

Any short international cartridges in any colour other than blue!

Instagram @inkysloth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

here's my small, but growing, ink collection. Happy to exchange samples within UK:

Diamine Oxblood

Diamine Twilight

Diamine Ancient Copper

Diamine Red Dragon

Diamine Delamere Green

Diamine Green/Black

Diamine Syrah

Milan

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to join in, I am expecting 5ml vials from eBay to arrive on Monday then I will be able to offer:-

Diamine
Umber
Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue

Ancient Copper

J Herbin
Gris Nuage
Cafe des Iles
Diabolo Menthe
Vert Pre
Larmes de cassis
Rouge Caroubier
Lierre Sauvage
Violette Pensee
Ambre De Birmanie

I would like to try any inks not mentioned above that do not require too much maintenance please.

I love the good old hand written letter.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Would love to join! Some questions though: do you guys usually fill the vials with a full 5ml?

Iroshizuku (these will be more limited; these babies are horribly priced.)

- Kiri-Same

- Tsuyu-Kusa

- Kon-Peki

- Fuyu-Syogun

- Syo-Ro

- Take-Sumi

Diamine

- Monaco Red

- Eau de Nil

- Grape

Sailor

- Jentle Epinard

J. Herbin

- Bleu Nuit

- Poussiere de Lune

I'd be interested in other Iroshizukus, Diamines and Sailors :)

Stephanie

I tend to put around 4ml in the 5ml vials. Also remember to just PM folks on this thread and ask rather than hoping they will discover your post.

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to source a good quantity of 5ml plastic vials and plan to offer them in packs of 20 complete with a 5ml syringe with blunt needle which I'll be able to offer for under a fiver - should be here this coming week so I'll post details if anybody is interested?