• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• Beechwood

• Fanatyk

• mercurius

Not sure whether this is the best place to post, but here goes.

I have a bottle of Noodler's American Eel (used for one fill only) that I would be willing to swap. I'm looking for the perfect blue ink in exchange:

- rich blue

- not turquoise /green

- not dark / purple

- washable

- works in any pen

- available in the UK

- doesn't require a second mortgage to buy

I currently tend to use Parker Royal Blue Washable, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (one of my favourites) and Waterman Serenity.

Any suggestions / offers?

Not sure whether this is the best place to post, but here goes.

I have a bottle of Noodler's American Eel (used for one fill only) that I would be willing to swap. I'm looking for the perfect blue ink in exchange:

- rich blue

- not turquoise /green

- not dark / purple

- washable

- works in any pen

- available in the UK

- doesn't require a second mortgage to buy

I currently tend to use Parker Royal Blue Washable, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (one of my favourites) and Waterman Serenity.

Any suggestions / offers?

I'll swap you 3 x 30ml fresh bottles of Diamine Sapphire Blue (or any 3 bottles of colours I have if you want to try a few) if that's of any interest... Though many prefer Diamine's Magestic Blue, which I don't have any of.

http://www.weareboy.co.uk/penboy/diamine-sapphireblue.jpg

I'll swap you 3 x 30ml fresh bottles of Diamine Sapphire Blue (or any 3 bottles of colours I have if you want to try a few) if that's of any interest... Though many prefer Diamine's Magestic Blue, which I don't have any of.

http://www.weareboy.co.uk/penboy/diamine-sapphireblue.jpg

Many thanks for the offer. I'm not sure that I like the look of Diamine Sapphire Blue. Can I please ask a couple of questions: do Diamine inks clog and cause problems with FPs (think I've read some post about this in the past, but of course can't find them now!)? What other colours / makes of ink are you offering?

Edited by mercurius

I see the interest. But is this actually happening. Is anyone doing it? I mean swapping with one another?

By the way, are you aware of this seller on Ebay UK? Collections of samples from £1, and free p&p!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ldcom2005

Diamine, Iroshizuku, Noodlers, Sailor ...

It may be cheaper to buy from them than to swap.

Many thanks for the offer. I'm not sure that I like the look of Diamine Sapphire Blue. Can I please ask a couple of questions: do Diamine inks clog and cause problems with FPs (think I've read some post about this in the past, but of course can't find them now!)? What other colours / makes of ink are you offering?

I have dozens of Diamine inks and I've never had any problems with clogging. In my experience the Sapphire blue does seem to have something akin to oil on the surface though which means that if you're only dipping your nib in it the lay-down of the ink on the paper can be interrupted. Diamine do sell 30ml bottles on their site, by the way, a very cheap way of finding out whether or not you like a colour.

As for an alternative rich blue, La Couler Royale by Noodler's is a cracker - real depth.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

I have dozens of Diamine inks and I've never had any problems with clogging. In my experience the Sapphire blue does seem to have something akin to oil on the surface though which means that if you're only dipping your nib in it the lay-down of the ink on the paper can be interrupted. Diamine do sell 30ml bottles on their site, by the way, a very cheap way of finding out whether or not you like a colour.

As for an alternative rich blue, La Couler Royale by Noodler's is a cracker - real depth.

Thanks paulmcmanus. I see Cult Pens do the 30mm bottles a bit more cheaply.

Don't know the Noodler's ink you mention - but I assume it's difficult to get in UK?

It may be but if you want to send me a couple of empty vials I'd be happy to send you a sample - of the Noodlers and one of the Diamine ones, their Majestic, a good deep blue. PM me and I'll give you an address.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

It may be but if you want to send me a couple of empty vials I'd be happy to send you a sample - of the Noodlers and one of the Diamine ones, their Majestic, a good deep blue. PM me and I'll give you an address.

Hi paulmcmanus, many thanks, will do!

• 5 months later...

Is the exchange still active? Anyone interested in continuing it?

Is the exchange still active? Anyone interested in continuing it?

I'm always happy to exchange ink samples.

Verba volant, scripta manent

As am I

I love the good old hand written letter.

As am I

You should have received a pm from me by now :)

I am on this list somewhere....

For anyone who wasn't involved in the year long Ink Sample Group, I have lots of ink sample vials, which I have tried, and am now finished with them.

There are a lot of very bright colours, pinks, yellows, oranges, but some blues, greens.

Brands include: Noodlers, Iroshizuku, Diamine, J Herbin and probably some others. Too many to list individually, but if someone wants some, let me know.

Happy to send them to someone who will appreciate them.

Just to let you know, I am not going to pick and choose, just grab a handful and send them off. So it will be a surprise what you get. Will be a mixture of sizes, some 4ml some less.

Also, just as a warning, I have just moved house, and everything is still packed up, so don't expect them too soon!

I can probably send off about 10 samples for the price of a 2nd class large stamp, and should be able to muster enough for 3 packages.

I am not looking for anything back, but if you do have an ink listed that I am really interested in trying, then I might ask for a sample, (I am trying to cut down the number of inks I have, so it would need to be something i REALLY want to try)

And remember, they are mostly bright colours!

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently in the middle of exams but being that I'm always lurking on this forum, I feel i should really get more involved, as opposed to just using this as the great source of information it is without giving back :)

I've just ordered some vials off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5ml-Plastic-Test-Tubes-Vial-Screw-Cap-x-10-storage-craft-powder-polypropylene-/121255583941?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item1c3b6560c5

For those looking to test any of the following inks give me a shout here or via PM.

Pelikan

4001 Brilliant Black

Edelstein Topaz

J. Herbin

Eclat de Saphir

Bleu Pervenche

Rouge Bourgogne

Lierre Sauvage

Mont Blanc

Toffee Brown

Visconti

Black

Go-to-pen: Custom74/Twsbi 580

Does anyone have any of the Pelikan Edelstein colours (aside from Topaz) or other drier inks they could recommend?

Some of my pens just drown in ink when using J Herbin and other similarly wet inks :)

Go-to-pen: Custom74/Twsbi 580

Does anyone have any of the Pelikan Edelstein colours (aside from Topaz) or other drier inks they could recommend?

I have Edelstein Sapphire. Seems OK to me. My son uses that as standard in his main pen.

I also have:

Montblanc

Lavender Purple (the new one). My absolute favourite so far. Nowhere near as runny as the J Herbin inks.

Diamine

Sapphire Blue

Damson

Imperial Purple

J Herbin

Éclat De Sphir

Poussière De Lune

Larmes De Cassis

Akkerman

Mauritshuis Magenta

So how does this ink exchange thing work then?

Edited by Journaler