Diamine Kelly Green - a brand new color

Ann Finley

I had the honour of naming this ink smile.gif...I sent a home-brew green to Phil at Diamine when he requested color suggestions. He did an excellent job of matching both the color and characteristics I hoped for, and needless to say I was delighted that he decided to add it to Diamine's New Century line. I'm told it will be available to distributors tomorrow--04-21-08.

The scans below were done at 300 dpi.

The heading was done with a Rotring Art Pen, 2.7 mm nib on Hammermill Premium 24 lb. laser paper.

The paper for the body of the review is Rhodia.

The test list with various pens is done on Clairefontaine.

I'm delighted in the variation in hue--from a dark green with a wetter writer, to a true Kelly Green, to a spring green with a drier writer. On my monitor the color is showing pretty accurately, maybe just barely lighter than the actual paper(s), though the heading looks spot on to me. This green leans just slightly toward the yellow end of the spectrum, but when showing darker is not an avocado green. Hope this is what you're seeing!

I have no info on the pH of the ink, and I haven't heard whether or not it will be available in cartridges. It isn't a waterproof ink. If you're wondering about the nib numbers on the test sheet such as M #4 or F#10, those aren't unusual factory numbers--those just reflect my numbering of my nibs so that I know which I've used.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Ann Finley

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• whitelily

• inkstainedruth

• Makar

I had the honour of naming this ink :)...I sent a home-brew green to Phil at Diamine when he requested color suggestions. He did an excellent job of matching both the color and characteristics I hoped for, and needless to say I was delighted that he decided to add it to Diamine's New Century line. I'm told it will be available to distributors tomorrow--04-21-08.

Thanks for looking!

Ok, one of my close friends is named Kelly Green. We're not talking about the same here, are we?

Edited by Tournevis

I think there was a broadway song (and maybe musical) called "Has anyone here seen Kelly?"

This is neat. I can't wait to get some.

cheers

skyp

Edited by Skyppere

Thank you Ann for posting, looks like a great color.

I've noticed this ink some days ago on Diamine website, but image sample is still no available;

and now, looking at your post, I suggest to Diamine to change all image samples with a written test like that... :D

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

Many thanks for sharing. Looks like a great ink. Do you know how it compares to Diamine Emerald Green or Private Reserve Spearmint Green?

...so there is another new ink to get :rolleyes:

Michael

Congratulations on having your "home-brew" made into an ink everyone can enjoy!

I'm a relative recent fan of Diamine inks, and this is actually the first green that has really made me sit up and pay attention :bunny01:

Beautiful writing samples, too. Thanks!

I am usually reserved towards green ink, but this one just looks lovely. I also love the name. Great to see that Diamine is seeking the assistance and advice of the pen and ink user community! :thumbup: I can only imagine that is well-behaved and of great quality as all Diamine inks. I hope the company will continue putting out new exciting colors.

It's lovely!

AND.......I have a bottle in my hot little hand!

Can't wait to start using it!

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Many thanks for sharing. Looks like a great ink. Do you know how it compares to Diamine Emerald Green or Private Reserve Spearmint Green?

...so there is another new ink to get :rolleyes:

Michael

Hi Michael,

This ink is a brighter, "more sparkling" shade of green than Diamine Emerald. It's closer to, but not exactly the same as PR Spearmint (or Noodler's Gruene Cactus.) It's also similar to--but less toward yellow & darker than Noodler's Emerald City Green--at least by my monitor; I've never have the latter.

Hope that helps!

Ann

It's closer to, but not exactly the same as PR Spearmint (or Noodler's Gruene Cactus.)

Ann

...this should make it a very intersting ink (I expect it to have the same great flow & drying properties than other Diamine inks).

Michael

I had the honour of naming this ink :)...I sent a home-brew green to Phil at Diamine when he requested color suggestions. He did an excellent job of matching both the color and characteristics I hoped for, and needless to say I was delighted that he decided to add it to Diamine's New Century line. I'm told it will be available to distributors tomorrow--04-21-08.

The scans below were done at 300 dpi.

The heading was done with a Rotring Art Pen, 2.7 mm nib on Hammermill Premium 24 lb. laser paper.

The paper for the body of the review is Rhodia.

The test list with various pens is done on Clairefontaine.

I'm delighted in the variation in hue--from a dark green with a wetter writer, to a true Kelly Green, to a spring green with a drier writer. On my monitor the color is showing pretty accurately, maybe just barely lighter than the actual paper(s), though the heading looks spot on to me. This green leans just slightly toward the yellow end of the spectrum, but when showing darker is not an avocado green. Hope this is what you're seeing!

I have no info on the pH of the ink, and I haven't heard whether or not it will be available in cartridges. It isn't a waterproof ink. If you're wondering about the nib numbers on the test sheet such as M #4 or F#10, those aren't unusual factory numbers--those just reflect my numbering of my nibs so that I know which I've used.

Thanks for looking!

Hi Ann,

Great review as always

Thank you !!!

Phil

Lovely review and congratulations on creating such a pretty ink, Ann. Diamine does so well at shading that it makes their inks tops for me. Glad I waited to place my order. :)

BTW how long did it take to bring to market?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Lovely review and congratulations on creating such a pretty ink, Ann. Diamine does so well at shading that it makes their inks tops for me. Glad I waited to place my order. :)

BTW how long did it take to bring to market?

Margana...Between 5 and 6 weeks. I imagine the time varies. :)

Best, Ann

That's really lovely, and it must be quite the honor!

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I can only echo what everyone else has said - a great colour. Thank you very much for the review, Ann. Would it be possible for you to do a fading test (= put a note in your window for some weeks/months)?

Thanks again,

Nellie

Nellie, sure, I'll do a fade test and get back to you on it.

Thanks everyone, for the kind words, hope those of you in the UK that already have the ink are enjoying it! :)

Best, Ann

OOOOOh, mine arrived this morning. What a fabulous colour, just right for this wonderful Spring weather.