fading/lightfastness-test

Nellie

This scan was still missing: each original ink is on the left & on the right (writing direction) you can see what became of it after two months in my window. This test also disproves the widespread belief that biro writing is more fade-resistant than fountain pen inks!!

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/Nelli_035/fadetest2107-240909.jpg

edited for typos

Edited by Nellie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nellie

• Goodwhiskers

• macthemaths

• amberleadavis

Many thanks to Nellie for these illuminating tests.

This is mighty and I have a similar test in the works with some inks I regularly use.

I'll look forward to your results. Fade tests are interesting -- more interesting than soak tests, IMO. I did one a couple of years ago on DC Supershow Blue.

Viseguy

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an other sunfade test. The leaf stays behind a window (W exposition) the last 8 weeks. The paper is archival, (iso 9706 and nen 2718, tcf and no brighting agent). All are bottled ink (except ballpoint!). Pen used Pelikan m600 old style (1993) ef nib (stamped E/N).

On the left fresh writting, right the inks after 7 weeks.

1. Lamy blue-black

2. Pelikan blue-black

3. Waterman blue-black

4. Noodler's legal lapis

5. Noodler's blue-black

6. Noodler's eel blue

7. Ballpoint ink (caran d'ache refill)

8. Waterman violette

9. Mont-Blanc bordeau

post-17714-053520600 1286987904.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Jean,

it's cool to come back and see that someone has added a test to my thread, especially as you have a lot more blue-black inks than me - thanks!!!

Nellie

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I'm looking for a ink that will fade almost completely gone in the fastest amount of time in the sun.

In your research which ink do you recommend with these properties? And about how long does it take for the ink to completely fade?

Your answers are much appreciated!

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nellie, thank you so much for these pictures. I'm doing a similar set of experiments with my inks and I love seeing your samples. Thanks again.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Nellie,

I'm so glad I came across this thread. Persistence of information is one of the things I'm looking for in an ink, and I really appreciate the information you've gathered and presented here.

Thanks much,

Mike

• 2 years later...

But what about ink used in, for example, a journal that is then stored closed and without light on the pages? That is more important to me, in the long run. I've not noticed any significant deterioration in my notebooks years after scribbling down my thoughts.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 7 months later...

In my experience the inks that fade fast in my sunlight tests also fade quite a bit in closed journals and the like. That is why I became interested in this phenomenon.

But what about ink used in, for example, a journal that is then stored closed and without light on the pages? That is more important to me, in the long run. I've not noticed any significant deterioration in my notebooks years after scribbling down my thoughts.

The advantage of light fading experiments is that they accelerate fading that might happen in a closed notebook.

You could assume that an ink that faded after two days in a window might not last many years in a notebook, but if it lasted a full 3 months in the Nevada summer sun, there's a good chance your grandchildren will be able to read your words.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 weeks later...

The advantage of light fading experiments is that they accelerate fading that might happen in a closed notebook.

You could assume that an ink that faded after two days in a window might not last many years in a notebook, but if it lasted a full 3 months in the Nevada summer sun, there's a good chance your grandchildren will be able to read your words.

YES!!!!! That's a great explanation.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 7 years later...

Here's another one. Two winter months with hardly any UV rays available at all.

What shocks me is that Metzger & Mendle's turquoise has faded almost as much as their eradicable 'royal blue'. I used to write everything in (mostly Pelikan) turquoise as a student and those notes have held up in closed notebooks, unlike anything I wrote in generic, eradicable 'royal blues'.

IMG_20221227_211629.jpg

IMG_20230303_185518.jpg

• 2 months later...

After two months with some sunshine, I can add that none of the Metzger & Mendles is lightfast, but I'd rate their black as +/-, like the Aurora Blue and both Diamine Syrah and Rohrer & Klinger Alt-Bordeaux. This means they'll probably do absolutely fine in closed journals and the like. 

IMG_20230513_152900.thumb.jpg.cc7a6dc3851ba3f58f6ab43d38a9bccb.jpg