Danitrio Mikado

asexton

I have been thinking seriously about diving into the world of Japanese pens. My philosophy with pen purchasing is not so much of collecting complete sets (although I try), but I like buying pens that tend to be representative models for a brand or set. That being said, I am looking into getting a Danitrio Mikado Tamenuri. The question I have for you, while apparently superficial, should also allow you to reflect on your philosophy on pens and life in general. Should I get the pen with the clip or no clip? Do you wish every pen was clipless? Are clipless pens useless? Do you feel a clip stifles creativity in how you use the pen???

Just wondering...

-Cody

Acme The Simpsons Rollerballs

Chatterly Pens Romulus - Stub

Classic Pens LM1 - Flame Red - Stub

Krone Boulder - Thunderbird - B

Levenger True Writer - Gold Obsidian - F

Namiki/Pilot VP - Yellow - M

Omas Paragon - Arco old style

Pelikan M250 - Demonstrator - M

Stipula Etruria - Cracked Ice Gaudi - 1.1 Italic

Visconti Divine Proportion - Silver trim - M

Visconti Opera Club - Typhoon Blue - M

Visconti Ripple - Blue Silver - M

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• ethernautrix

• asexton

• Rapt

I'm a woman, so that means that I don't put pens in my shirt pocket. I keep them in the outer pocket of my tote, typically.

I don't like pens that roll, though; I don't have a pen rest that I carry with me. So if it's a faceted pen that wouldn't roll, I'd consider getting it clipless, but if it happened to be round, I'd get a clip.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Personally for maki-e and urushi, I prefer them clipless when possible as I think that's very "zen" like. Nothing, I mean, nothing to disrupt the "flow". But I also think this is pen dependent... Western style pens I would prefer with clips.

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

I have both styles of Mikado.

For the eye-pleasing factor I like the clipless, for the practicality of portage and not worrying about the pen rolling anywhere that might potentially make me want to throw heavy things I prefer the clip version.

Swings and roundabouts - these are just two things that can be found in a playground...

IANAN operates a more Zen-lite than Zen-like philosophy.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

For its sheer beauty I would prefer clipless .. I have doubts that I would ever take this away from home with me so it would rest in a specially designed rest so I could draw inspiration from its poetic design & colour ... but that's just me day-dreaming again.

For its sheer beauty I would prefer clipless .. I have doubts that I would ever take this away from home with me so it would rest in a specially designed rest so I could draw inspiration from its poetic design & colour ... but that's just me day-dreaming again.

I was actually hoping for the day-dreaming, esoteric responses. I think the matter of the clip reaches into the heart of a fountain pen user.

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

Daydreaming response:

I want a custom Danitrio maki-e something awful. I'm also looking at a 12k (or more) price tag. (Better hope I win the lotto, Kevin.)

In the case of a pen like this, clipless all the way. Heck, I'd be showing it off at least one day out, but I'd also be protecting it with my life. Then, I'd probably have a special display case made just for this pen. With invisible force fields, multi-laser alarm, oh, yeah...

:embarrassed_smile:

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

To be honest I don't think this pen would be that suitable for me, (especially as I find a Lamy Studio a bit thick) so I think it would be too big in my hand. (& I also doubt if I would ever have the courage to put ink in it.)

As an object of desire however I haven't seen anything better .. but that is only judged from photos & I suspect its even more beautiful in real life.

Sometimes its best just to dream.

I was actually hoping for the day-dreaming, esoteric responses. I think the matter of the clip reaches into the heart of a fountain pen user.

Judging by that I may need to take preventative measures to ensure that I don't evaporate on mildly sunny days due to a lack of depth.

I have Mikados that I use at work to write with. That may well make me a bad person, but I will survive...

Grabs clipless Mikado and cues up Gloria Gaynor track.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I would drill a hole in the cap and put a fine chain through it and wear it around my neck.

I'd say that says I'm all about bending the world to me.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I would drill a hole in the cap and put a fine chain through it and wear it around my neck.

Yeah, where are the ringtops when you actually NEED them?

I love chatelaine doodads.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Personally for maki-e and urushi, I prefer them clipless when possible as I think that's very "zen" like. Nothing, I mean, nothing to disrupt the "flow". But I also think this is pen dependent... Western style pens I would prefer with clips.

Kevin

Kevin: When you use your clipless pens, do you have a special pen rest that they sit in on your desk, or do you just put it upright in a pen jar? Does Danitrio make any nice lacquered pen rests designed especially for the clipless Mikado?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Cody, this pen is so hugh, if you haven't seen one in person, I doubt you'd tote it around in a shirt pocket. Although I hear some do. I got mine with the clip for one reason, in case it rolled I'd have some insurance. OK, six months later, I wish I got the clipless Mikado. Live and learn. I keep it on my desk in the box it came with, I park it there when I pause writing just so it won't roll and hit the floor. I'm too lazy to cap it sometimes.

As Kevin said, it looses something with the clip, still a beautiful pen though. But the flow is disrupted.

Ultimately, your choice.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Kevin: When you use your clipless pens, do you have a special pen rest that they sit in on your desk, or do you just put it upright in a pen jar? Does Danitrio make any nice lacquered pen rests designed especially for the clipless Mikado?

I have to say that my initial leaning is towards the clipless due to its uniqueness, but rolling off a desk could be a serious problem.

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

This pen epitomises listening to your inner voice

Go clipless would be my choice

Yeah, I agree.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

This pen epitomises listening to your inner voice

Go clipless would be my choice

Yeah, I agree.

I like to think of FPN as my second inner voice. Thanks for all of the comments so far!

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

When faced with the decision: I asked myself, how many pens do I have with a clip, what make this pen unique and does a clip add to this pen. Things that make this pen unique : Lacquer finish, Zen like design refinements, unadorned simplicity, the elevation of a simple everyday utilitarian object into a work of art created by mastercraftsmen so skilled as to be unequaled. My vote, no clip, no question.

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

Kevin

Yup, I use these at work and at home. Danitrio does not like to make accesories, and so even these were made in limited number. Wood with clear coat urushi. these will fit all your biggies: Mikado, Genakai, Sailor Susutake, Namiki Emperor, Parker Giants, Waterman 20 etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Sale%20Stuff/DSC09164.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Sale%20Stuff/DSC09167.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Sale%20Stuff/DSC09170.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Sale%20Stuff/DSC09169.jpg

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Sale%20Stuff/DSC09170.jpg

Kevin

So, Kevin? Where do you live and when aren't you home...? No reason.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.