Caran d'Ache Saffron

girlieg33k

-- Click the thumbnail image to view the review in 800-pixels (default)

-- Click the links below the thumbnail image to view the review in alternative views (600-pixels or full-size)

Usual disclaimer: Colour representation is not always accurate in a scanned image, reproduction of the scanned image in different computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper combinations.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loweevan

• girlieg33k

• JFT

• MiniMaupassant

Thank you very much! I've been waiting for a review of that one :clap1:

Added to my "must buy" list (probably with Larme de Cassis ;) )

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Am I seeing some red in the darker side of the shading, a la Noodler's Cayenne?

• 1 month later...

Am I seeing some red in the darker side of the shading, a la Noodler's Cayenne?

In my monitor that scan has some red. I have that ink and it never shows red. I can recommend that ink, but it is quite expensieve per litre.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

One of my favourite "exotic" inks... it literally glows on the paper! =]

One of my favourite "exotic" inks... it literally glows on the paper! =]

If you find Caran d'Ache expensive (after having collected enough of

the little bottles), you might like Herbin Orange Indien, which is another

good orange, or one of the Diamine Oranges. Stipula Zafferano is

much more yellowish than the color of this scan.

I just got a bottle, and noticed something strange. The air bubble at the end of the piston would not float when I tipped the pen back up, so I could not expel it and top off the converter. After writing a page, there seems to be a lot less in the pen, more like two pages down. So maybe other voids in the collector affected the filling.

--John

P.S. after using the pen again on a full practice page, I can definitly report that the ink defies gravity. After unscrewing the barrel and holding the pen tip-down, the ink in the converter was still at the top with an air gap before the collector. Once it gets going, it runs very slowly in a narrow thread. But it can take a bit of shaking to get it to move.

I don't know if this is a problem when actually writing, as you won't tip it back the other way. But I do notice it writes dry, in that I have wetter letters if I pause before a word. Does that mean it's feeding slower than my writing is trying to take off?

Edited by JDlugosz

A colleague saw me writing with this ink and proceeded to inform me that my ink color was "perverted". Oh well, we can't all use boring BIC sticks....

As for the cost aspect mentioned above, I think it results partly from the bottle.

/Tojusi

• 1 year later...

Finally got a bottle of this ink and it's wonderful! I like the shading. It's performing well in my medium nib Snorkel.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I'm wondering .... how does this one compare to Herbin Orange Indien ?

They are very close. They are well named:Cd'A's "Saffron" reminds of the color of Saffron, while Herbin's Orange Indien has the color of ... an orange, or of a pumpkin. In other words the Saffron is a tad more reddish while the orange is slightly more yellowish. The are both very bright and festive (think Indian wedding). Neither of them feathers, but both bleed, the Herbin (like most Herbins) badly so; forget about using both sides of a sheet unless your nib is XXF. (I tried Apica, Moleskine. and Rhodia.)

If you look for a less in-your-face color, consider the duller "Ambre de Birmanie" by Herbin. The color is ... amber. You might also have a look at my all-time favorite amber: Laywine's ocher yellow. Beautiful and subtle, and it (almost) does not bleed.

I can't say much about the flows, I made my tests using the same dip pen, for fairness.

Edited by gyv

Hello,

nice review, thanks. :thumbup:

From the picture on my screen I wonder:

is the Saffron more like Diamine Pumpkin

or more like Diamine Vermillion?

A comparison would be nice.

Best,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

Hello,

nice review, thanks. :thumbup:

From the picture on my screen I wonder:

is the Saffron more like Diamine Pumpkin

or more like Diamine Vermillion?

A comparison would be nice.

Best,

Anna

It's closer to Pumpkin. Diamine Vermillion is vermillion is much more red.

• 1 month later...

Not having CdA Saffron or the Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-Yake myself, I'm wondering if anyone is able to compare these two colors. I'm aiming to buy one of them, but since my use for orange is limited at best, I'd rather not buy both of these expensive-per-ml inks.

Thanks!

- Evan

• 2 months later...

Excellent review. Many thanks. On the basis of your efforts, I raised the necessary mortgage finance and bought a bottle of this ink. What a colour! I'm going to use it in a letter to my eldest niece on Fabriano Ingres Buff 200 gsm paper. It looks stunning and will definitely get her attention.

Not having CdA Saffron or the Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-Yake myself, I'm wondering if anyone is able to compare these two colors. I'm aiming to buy one of them, but since my use for orange is limited at best, I'd rather not buy both of these expensive-per-ml inks.

Thanks!

IMHO CdA Saffron is the nicer colour - a more 'definite' orange than Yu-Yake, which to my eye looks a little washed-out when they are compared side by side.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks!

IMHO CdA Saffron is the nicer colour - a more 'definite' orange than Yu-Yake, which to my eye looks a little washed-out when they are compared side by side.

Thanks for that! I'd even forgotten that I'd asked :embarrassed_smile:

- Evan