Multiple Duke Review

msly

Well as you can see from the picture I went a little Duke crazy. I figured I would give a mini review. All pens were purchased from www.akideal.com. (no affiliation) I did receive a 10% discount from an order over $50 which was cool.

Duke Silver Ring:

http://akideal.com/D10-SilverRingFP.html

I really like the feel of this pen. The nib is probably somewhere between fine and medium. The one I have writes very smooth and is balance with the cap posted or not. It really is a classy looking pen in person and I do enjoy writing with it as much as how it looks on my desk or pocket.

Duke Charlie Chaplin Tribute:

http://akideal.com/D46-ChoplinFP.html

I really dig the feel of this pen and it writes as smooth as “buttaâ€. The only complaint I have about this pen is the cap weighs at least 2x's the weight of the pen without the cap on. It is well balanced with the cap posted but I don't see how it would be comfortable using this for long writing sessions. But the Pen is very well balanced and comfortable without the cap on and is quite effortless when putting ink to paper. I would say this pen is a fine to medium nib. I use this exclusively as a desk pen, I just don't see how anyone would want to have this bring clipped to there pocket. With all that said it really is worth the money. Its a fun and different pen for anyone's collection.

Duke Mako:

http://akideal.com/D20-GreenShark.html

I just love the way this pen looks and feels. The picture does it no justice. It is a well balanced pen posted or not. It also is around fine to medium and is a pleasure to have in your pocket. The one I received probably needs a little breaking in, or is just a dry writer. I am using Parker Quink in black. I look forward to trying a different ink with this pen, I have read on the forum that Quink can be a bit dry in some pens. I love the look of this pen so much I think I am going to purchase the rollerball version of this pen.

sLY

http://lh5.google.com/FountainP3ns/R8hEOqr65dI/AAAAAAAAADE/Sgp3upmdShg/Dukes.jpg

Edited by msly

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lalindsay225

• donwinn

• lovemy51

• msly

Well as you can see from the picture I went a little Duke crazy. I figured I would give a mini review. All pens were purchased from www.akideal.com. (no affiliation) I did receive a 10% discount from an order over $50 which was cool.

Duke Silver Ring:

http://akideal.com/D10-SilverRingFP.html

I really like the feel of this pen. The nib is probably somewhere between fine and medium. The one I have writes very smooth and is balance with the cap posted or not. It really is a classy looking pen in person and I do enjoy writing with it as much as how it looks on my desk or pocket.

Duke Charlie Chaplin Tribute:

http://akideal.com/D46-ChoplinFP.html

I really dig the feel of this pen and it writes as smooth as “butta”. The only complaint I have about this pen is the cap weighs at least 2x's the weight of the pen without the cap on. It is well balanced with the cap posted but I don't see how it would be comfortable using this for long writing sessions. But the Pen is very well balanced and comfortable without the cap on and is quite effortless when putting ink to paper. I would say this pen is a fine to medium nib. I use this exclusively as a desk pen, I just don't see how anyone would want to have this bring clipped to there pocket. With all that said it really is worth the money. Its a fun and different pen for anyone's collection.

Duke Mako:

http://akideal.com/D20-GreenShark.html

I just love the way this pen looks and feels. The picture does it no justice. It is a well balanced pen posted or not. It also is around fine to medium and is a pleasure to have in your pocket. The one I received probably needs a little breaking in, or is just a dry writer. I am using Parker Quink in black. I look forward to trying a different ink with this pen, I have read on the forum that Quink can be a bit dry in some pens. I love the look of this pen so much I think I am going to purchase the rollerball version of this pen.

sLY

http://lh5.google.com/FountainP3ns/R8hEOqr65dI/AAAAAAAAADE/Sgp3upmdShg/Dukes.jpg

SLY,

Not fair!!! Here I had put aside my obsession with the Silver Ring and Mako, and you have do do this. Now I am again :puddle: :puddle:

At least now I know what to get for my "milestone" pen(s) once I start my new job -- a matched set of the Dukes. I may even pop for the Chaplin, if it nets me a discount. Did you pay additional for insured shipping, and did they give you the discount for shipping multiple pens?

Not to say I was (am) obsessive, but I did a spreadsheet with pricing, including shipping, for every place I could find either pen (Silver Ring or Mako) and all possible combos, including shipping. Akideal is the lowest, since isellpens.com no longer sells these. Todd was coming in a couple dollars less when he had them, but he sold out some time back, and I did not strike while the iron was hot. He who hesitated (I) was lost -- at least the pens were lost for the time being.

Thanks for the review, even if you did rekindle my old obsession.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Ah, that Silver Rings is beautiful. I have the Golden Rings, but I need the silver version now!

Very nice review. Thanks for it. Now off to fight my urge to order more pens...

Duke is the first Chinese fountain that I got from Todd of isellpens.com about a month ago. To be honest, I have never had the urge to get a Chinese pen until I read one of Kissing's very positive review on the Duke crane. The crane drawing appeals to me since I always like chinese painting and stuff. The pen is above my expectations although the finish on the pen can be further improved (there are some 'specks' on the pen barrel and cap). I went on and bought from eBay 2 other Duke pens (the Beijing opera (the one with minimal design; not the one sold by Todd) and the Goddess of Mercy) and 1 Jinhao pen (with Confucius figure).

I will probably get some more in future.

purpledog

Thanks for your review. I am a fan of Duke pens -- so far, I have a Great Shanghai, a Jade Girl, and a Mini-Torpedo. They are great pens for the price. It's always fun to read reviews of models I haven't tried yet.

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

How do you like the Jade girl? I wanted one in black but it was sold out.

Thanks for your review. I am a fan of Duke pens -- so far, I have a Great Shanghai, a Jade Girl, and a Mini-Torpedo. They are great pens for the price. It's always fun to read reviews of models I haven't tried yet.

Lisa

It's a very nice pen. I have one in white. It writes well, even after sitting for a while, and it has a lovely, curvaceous shape -- on the whole, a very feminine pen, but without being too girly. A nice leather (or convincing fake leather) case comes with it. When I was ready to purchase mine, isellpens was out, but I was able to get one on eBay -- I have seen it listed by its model number (600), or by the model name Chaste Lady. I'm sure an eBay search on Duke pens would turn one up.

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Lisa

I am sure you can find one on eBay. I bought my other Duke models from seller comeon1788. He has a nice range of Duke and Jinhao. While looking through his list, I tend to buy more than I have planned to.

purpledog

I have a Duke Shark that I love. The only real downside is that it's a very heavy pen, so I just don't post it. Never fails to start writing.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Thanks for these reviews!

My one and only Duke pen is the tribute to Albert Einstein. The price is great, it writes very well and comes in a superb wooden casket for very little money. I may write a review when I can get my photographic act together again in the next week or two.

- Stuart

Rincewind

"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad."

--Rincewind, "Interesting Times"

I have the Greek Key which I purchased through Akideal, and while it isn't my constant writer (that's why God made the Phileas) it is very nice. Fast start, nice heft, good looking package, and a rather pleasant wet nib (currently inked with Naples Blue PR). A little stiff, but a very nice value.

Thanks for these reviews!

My one and only Duke pen is the tribute to Albert Einstein. The price is great, it writes very well and comes in a superb wooden casket for very little money. I may write a review when I can get my photographic act together again in the next week or two.

- Stuart

Stuart, I would love to see a review of the Albert Einstein pen! I have been thinking of getting one to squirrel away for my son, who has autism; researchers now believe Einstein did too. I like the design also.

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

• 5 months later...

I just bought the Silver Rings from www.goldquills.com, and I'm deeply impressed with the pen. The inks flows from the nib immediately with no dry spots on up or down strokes. Nice even flow to the ink. The medium nib seems to veer toward the medium-fine side, but I'm a fine kind of guy so that's okay. The nib has virtually no flexibility.

Solid, well built metal pen that's on the heavy side. You could probably run over this thing with a tank and still write a letter home about the experience.

The pen feels like a $200 piece, but at $18 it's the best value in my collection. Rather remarkable quality for the price.

I just bought the Silver Rings from www.goldquills.com, and I'm deeply impressed with the pen. The inks flows from the nib immediately with no dry spots on up or down strokes. Nice even flow to the ink. The medium nib seems to veer toward the medium-fine side, but I'm a fine kind of guy so that's okay. The nib has virtually no flexibility.

Solid, well built metal pen that's on the heavy side. You could probably run over this thing with a tank and still write a letter home about the experience.

The pen feels like a $200 piece, but at $18 it's the best value in my collection. Rather remarkable quality for the price.

goldquills is the new name for akideal. Same vendor, same stock, same pricing, different name. Changed their eBay seller id to goldquills also.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

• 3 months later...

It's a very nice pen. I have one in white. It writes well, even after sitting for a while, and it has a lovely, curvaceous shape -- on the whole, a very feminine pen, but without being too girly. A nice leather (or convincing fake leather) case comes with it. When I was ready to purchase mine, isellpens was out, but I was able to get one on eBay -- I have seen it listed by its model number (600), or by the model name Chaste Lady. I'm sure an eBay search on Duke pens would turn one up.

Lisa

I was looking at that pen, too. I was wondering what the weight is like - heavy, light, or in between? Also, is it comfortable in the hand over a long time?

wish list!

Sailor 1911M

Sheaffer Balance

Esterbrook Bell Systems J

I have a Duke Shark that I love. The only real downside is that it's a very heavy pen, so I just don't post it. Never fails to start writing.

my problem is the opposite. i posted but it won't start (and that's only after a couple of hours sitting!!!).

Edited by lovemy51

Lisa

I was looking at that pen, too. I was wondering what the weight is like - heavy, light, or in between? Also, is it comfortable in the hand over a long time?

hello. i understand there are two sizes. i have this one ( http://www.goldquills.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D20 ) and the size and weight are on the page (medium weight 1.2oz and length is 6" posted).

Edited by lovemy51

If I need a dependable pen from my collection, I pick up one of my Dukes. So far they have all ben fine. I have a couple under the tree, but anticipate they will be the same. (I picked them out and my wife is giving them to me! :thumbup: ) The only issue I've had(mentioned in another thread) is that the converter in my Charlie Chaplin broke. That pen takes a shorter converter than the other Duke pens. Wasn't apparent until after the "Duke" converters arrived from Goldquill. They didn't know it either and bent over backwards to help me get it right. Usual disclaimer- no connection, just satisfied customer. Not a big deal once you know - just caused a delay getting it inked and back in service. If only all of life's problems were so easily fixed.

My Blue Spyder didn't like PR Purple Mojo - it leaked like a runny nose - but changed ink - PR DC Supershow Blue and the problem went away.

I have a number of "less expensive" pens and the Dukes are consistently good quality for the price, so far.

Rob Banks