Namiki Vanishing Point nib size?

Paulo

Hello,

I would like to add a VP to my small collection.

I was thinking of a black carbonesque finish, but then there's the nib size.

I find my Pelikan M800 medium nib on the wide side, but I fear that the fine might be too fine and dry.

Thanks in advance,

Paulo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/paulo60s/rnt_joke.gif

Cheers,

Paulo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulo

• Leslie J.

• jsparks

• Larry T

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Paulo. I have two VP's, one with a medium nib, one with a fine. The medium is my favorite. It writes like a Parker fine with a nice smooth, even ink flow. The fine nib was a little scratchy when I got it, but a couple of minutes drawing figure eights on a brown paper shopping bag smoothed it right out. I learned that trick from a post by OldGriz(thanks!). Pam at oscarbraun.com has the best prices around on VP's, and just about everything else too.

Larry

I have a Vanishing point with 2 nib units (both fine and Medium). I have a Pelikan M200 with a fine point and a Pelikan Future with a Medium (closest things I have to your M800). The VP fine point is significantly finer than the M200 Fine and the VP medium is between the M200 Fine and the Future Medium (probably closer to the fine than the medium). I find the VP Medium to be the smoothest nib I own. The VP Fine is very smooth for how thin it is, but it's not as smooth as the Medium.

If you find the Pelikan Medium a little on the wide side, I think you would like the VP medium. If you find the Pelikan Medium a lot on the wide side, go for the VP fine. Or get both, an extra nib is only about $15 and as easy to change as filling the pen with ink.

John

Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions!

I bought a VP Carbonesque black medium nib from montgomerystationery at ebay, with a coupon discount I paid $82 shipped! :)

Pam has indeed great prices, but the payment alternatives are expensive for European Union clients (money orders costs) and the savings go for the banks not for us :(

Cheers,

Paulo

Cheers,

Paulo

I agree with John completely. I have had the exact same experiences with my Fine and Medium nib units. The medium does write wetter than the fine using the same ink in my experience. Nib units are less than $20 if you change your mind or just want a new writing experience later on.

Never lie to your dog.

... from montgomerystationery at ebay, with a coupon discount I paid $82 shipped!  :)

Cheers,

Paulo

Just to give the rest of the world a clue, where Namiki/Pilot positions the VP/Capless in the European market:

The regular recomended price in Germany is 195 Euros (around $230)! This is the only fp by pilot available in my town anyway, and German retail shops almost allways demand the full price for current products.

As usual, we are ripped off, here :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by saintsimon

As usual, we are ripped off, here :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wow! I thought it was just in America where such things were considered luxury items of ridiculous value.

The price of a VP is excellent here. it's one of the reasons I hesitate to buy some pens that are very nice looking and probably write very well - but come with steel nibs. Because for about $80 (and less in some cases) you get a great pen with a 14K nib that is interchangeable. Only the M250 fits into that category that I've seen thus far. Anything else is going to be $100 or greater.

but $230 for a VP! Can you avoid some of that cost by going ebay? Or do those auctions end up being consistent with the store prices?

it's absurd. I have a hard time believing it costs that much more to import VPs into Germany than it does here.

Is it lack of demand? Is this typical of Japanese pens or just any pen that isn't German-made? How much does an M200 cost over there - typically. Seems if Regina's site is any indicator that the prices for Pelikans is comparable to US prices.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Here in most European countries these items are priced very high.

This historically comes from the times when the luxury goods had a higher VAT (much higher). The termination of those luxury taxes ended up in the manufacturers increasing their margins and no real price redution, as the customers were allready "used" to pay a high price for those items.

The globalization and the possibility to buy those goods anywhere in the world was a major breakthrough.

To give an idea of how the prices are here in Portugal, I bought my M800 from Martini as I didn't want to risk customs and I saved around 130 euros from the price at the stores in Portugal.

The Namiki VP, if it goes through customs, will have a 25% surplus, so it will cost me around $120, almost half the price here.

Cheers,

Paulo

Cheers,

Paulo

Hi Paul,

It's all your fault! You pointed me this place!

Great idea BTW :eureka:

Cheers,

Paulo