Opinions on Hero?

washati

I am an addict since the age of 10. My use of fountain pens is kind of everyday- I used them for all my school notes and now for any writing I do at work (fp exclusively). I began with the drugstore Parker Vector and am on the neverending quest for the perfect knockaround fp. I don't keep very good track of my belongings, so I prefer inexpensive. I have just discovered the joy of the Hero- I have used medium nibs forever but am Learning to love the fine.

Does anyone have an opinion on Hero pens? I would love to know what those in-the-know think of my new love.

Thanks!

Washati

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• washati

• Yuri

• Ray

• Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Washati,

I own a Wing Sung 235. That's a brother/sister company of Hero. I think this was a very good buy for 15 euro's, because it is a very good daily user. It has a Parker 75 body, and a Sheaffer Triumph nib. It has a very good aero converter and a fine wet nib. The main disadvantage is the stiff clip with sharp edges. the great thing is that the metal resists any scrathcing!

See pic at: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...63&hl=wing+sung.

Enjoy!

Heros are generally well made and dependable. One of my favorites is the Hero 100, which is a Parker 51 clone with a hooded nib. It also has a 14k nib. They are very reasonably priced.

For something even cheaper the 616 is a cheaper version of the 100. The 329 is also a popular and dependable pen.

Heros are used by millions of Chinese here in China.

Good luck.

Matt

I have a Hero 100 I brought from isellpens.com that seems to be the cheapest. Very good writer! I have the 329 model too. Both the 100 and 329 looks the same on picture, but the Hero 100 definitely feels more durable and more luxiorous.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

hello hero lovers,

which hero model would you take on a two week trip to a tropical country for occasional field work and journal writing, i.e. a rugged, practical, dependable model that you wouldn't cry about if it got lost or damaged? looking foward to your suggestions... :eureka:

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Heros that I have used are fine-nibbed. Just a disclaimer. I love the Hero 180- replicated Parker's 360 fp. Very versatile, dependable and inexpensive!

I love www.waimar.com

I've had a 329 and 616 for a while. Whilst they feel cheap, they do put down a nice thin line and are reliable. I've recently bought a 100 and that quality is so much higher, it feels nice and writes very well too.

Just looked on the waimar.com site, has anyone tried the 343 pens? I quite liked the look of some of those.

hello hero lovers,

which hero model would you take on a two week trip to a tropical country for occasional field work and journal writing, i.e. a rugged, practical, dependable model that you wouldn't cry about if it got lost or damaged?  looking foward to your suggestions... :eureka:

I take a Hero 100 on our sailboat for entries in the logbook and for cards & letters. Rugged and dependable, a pleasure to write with, the fine point suits the use, and it works well with waterproof Noodler's Gulfstream Blue ink...

Bill

I have a Wing Sung and a Hero. I don't know what the models are. The Stainless Steel Hero I use for my detail pen with Noodlers Black. The nib is the finest I've seen on a fountain pen, but it never gives me a hint of trouble.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I have a Hero 343-- basically a lightweight, metal-barrelled Parker 51 clone with a handpainted crane on it--and a Hero 91 "Doctor's Pen" with a newly-smoothed nib. Good pens, but the doctor pen wasn't cheap. It's a sturdy, well-balanced pen in a lovely golden brown marbled pattern but, when I got it, it came with a scratchy nib so I had to smooth it. The '343' model is a reliable workinghorse pen and for a handpainted pen, the twenty bucks or so I paid for it was cheap :)

Oh, I have a Wing Sung pen as well with a Sheaffer clone Triumph nib on it. A nice writer with a marbled green barrel and bright silvery cap (thanks, Karin!) It says 237 on it so I am guessing that is the model number.

Edited by Maja

I have whole bunch of Hero pens and love them. Being a lover of fine and extra fine pointed nibs I just appreciate consistency of these pens in terms of line width, no fat lines. It was already mentioned Parker 51 clones and pens with triumph like nibs, most of them just great writers. I have one, which is clone of Parker 75, it is Wing Sung, flighter style pen (I do not have model number, have it at home). Very, very good writer, smooth, consistent flow and great starter after idling. There is similar Hero pen, model 50. I'd consider them example of fine art, but not cheapest of the chinese pen. Good knock around ones. Highly recommended, though not so widely known. Can be owned for $15 from wndpens.com, hisnibs.com or winmair.com

Hero 868 XF. Small light good writer. Not that great starter as above mentioned pens, but acceptable. It is said as extra fine, but I did find it thinner than others.

Have several more Hero great pens without model number on them, just great and sturdy too.

Would like to mention that unfortunately there are some Hero and its subdivisions (like Wing Sung) pens which I'd consider as a total junk. I got couple pens from Yi Cheng's "free" offer, which are just ... Well, they just immediately went to waste basket, I even hesitated to give them away. So be carefull, not buying every Hero you see.