Putting Piston Back in Pen

fpfanatic5

I was having problems with my Sheaffer Vac fill Balance, and I noticed that there was something banging around in the barrel. I took the whole piston assembly out, but now I can't get it back in :headsmack:. Does it go in from the back or the front? Thanks.

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• es9

• Ron Z

• fpfanatic5

• flexynib

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You disassembled the piston rod assembly from the section side, so it should go in again.

Centering the piston rod to the rod packing seal bore is however not always easy, so patience is you best friend !

I get the rod into the packing assembly, but then I can't get the piston head gasket (translation-Big Round Rubbery Thing :lol:) to get into the part of the barrel with the smaller diameter. It seems like the gasket it going to rip. I tried everything I could to jam it in (probably shouldn't have done some of the things I did :D ) But I couldn't get it to budge. The farthest I can get it is so the cap nut is even with the front of the barrel. I tried putting some water in to ease it along but it didn't help.

EDIT: I did take it out the front, but the cap nut and piston head gasket were not on the piston rod. They just fell out.

Edited by fpfanatic5

Try a thin coating of pure Silicon grease on the gasket. It does take some pressure to get the assembly back in the pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

If I'm understanding what you've done to the pen, you pulled the whole filler assembly out of the pen - packing unit, piston rod, piston washer along with the retaining nut and backing washer. All from the back end. Am I right??

If that's the case, you'll need to have someone put it back together for you. Getting it back into the pen is the easy part. Sealing the packing unit in place can be another matter. Shellac will work, but you need to do it right if you don't want it to leak.

Has the packing unit been repaired? If not, it's an ideal time to have the pen restored and that original packing unit replaced with an 0 ring.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I get the rod into the packing assembly, but then I can't get the piston head gasket (translation-Big Round Rubbery Thing :lol:) to get into the part of the barrel with the smaller diameter.

It sounds as if the piston washer is too large. Stop before you break something. Washer diameter should be only very slightly larger than the inside diameter of the barrel.

I didn't pull the packing unit out, just the piston assembly (rod, nut, gasket, and washer). I pulled them out the front of the pen, where the section would be. If the gasket is too big, where would I find a new one, and what size should it be?

Supposedly the packing unit was drilled out and replaced with an O-ring.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I didn't pull the packing unit out, just the piston assembly (rod, nut, gasket, and washer). I pulled them out the front of the pen, where the section would be. If the gasket is too big, where would I find a new one, and what size should it be?

Supposedly the packing unit was drilled out and replaced with an O-ring.

Thanks for all the help so far.

It's pretty tough to get the piston rod lined up with the hole in the packing unit without an extension on the rod to guide you in. Fr. Terry used to sell one. I've made mine out of tubing.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

• 12 years later...

Additional question related to this thread.  I have a Sheaffer Vac-filler I'm starting to work on.  This is my first real attempt at repairing this pen.  I began the disassembly and it looks like it's the type with the celluloid knob on the end; no split screw.  After cleaning off what seemed like tons of shellac in the blind cap, I got the piston rod unscrewed.  But curiously, it seems like the plunger washer at the front of the pen is too big to fit through the section.  Am I missing something?  

Thanks!

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

In a rather strange turn of events, the section actually screwed off rather easily after a good soaking! Is this normal for a pen of this style? 

DDEC7685-D692-4AF2-BDA9-F52572A5F196.jpeg

Also, while I successfully got the packing unit cleaned out, it looks like I accidentally gouged the barrel a little bit. Anything to do about this? Although the light makes it look bad, I’m pretty sure it’s quite small on the inside of the barrel 

79147B51-7C69-4937-AAB4-3C045AA8AC43.jpeg

If the nick in the barrel is that far up, I would leave well enough alone.  Farther down it could cause a loss of vacuum, which would result in a poor fill. That far back though shouldn't make much of a difference.  Don't try to color with paint or a marker.  They could react with the celluloid.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens