Macro Photography with Canon PowerShot G9

Phroneo

I am very much ignorant when it comes to photography and macro photography, in particular. So I purchased myself a Canon PowerShot G9 as gift for me this holiday season to help me learn. It's quite a lovely camera but I think too much for someone who can barely understand the manual!

Anyway, the camera has an auto macro mode that seems to be fairly straight forward. But Canon also makes mention of a macro lens and extender tube for this camera. The PowerShot G7 and G5 are predecessors of this and in the same family. Has anyone used one of the Canon cameras or even a basic point and shoot camera with an add-on macro lens? If so, how did you set the camera up for taking pictures with the add-on lens in macro mode?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Current Pen Set Rotation: Conway Stewart 27 Green Hatch Broad Nib, Vintage Conway Stewart '58' Tiger's Eye Medium Italic Nib & Conway Stewart 60L Red Herringbone Broad Italic Nib

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Phroneo

• Larry T

• Rick Propas

First, congrats on the G9! I've handled one of these, but cannot answer your specific question because I don't use an add-on macro lens. I have both a Canon PowerShot G2 and G7. On the back panel, there is a button that I push to turn the macro setting on/off. I believe jaytaylor recently purchased the G9 (search for a previous topic that he started), and he may be able to guide you better on how to turn on the macro setting and/or using an add-on macro lens on the G9.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Hi Phroneo

I am very much ignorant when it comes to photography and macro photography, in particular. So I purchased myself a Canon PowerShot G9 as gift for me this holiday season to help me learn. It's quite a lovely camera but I think too much for someone who can barely understand the manual!

Anyway, the camera has an auto macro mode that seems to be fairly straight forward. But Canon also makes mention of a macro lens and extender tube for this camera. The PowerShot G7 and G5 are predecessors of this and in the same family. Has anyone used one of the Canon cameras or even a basic point and shoot camera with an add-on macro lens? If so, how did you set the camera up for taking pictures with the add-on lens in macro mode?

Peace,

Phroneo

Congratulations, that is sa very fine camera indeed!

Prior to acquiring a dslr, I used the G5, one of the predecessors of the G9, and I was silly enough to sell the thing when I got the dslr, I'll probably get a G9 in addition t my current 40D some day :).

Anyway, I did do macro with this camera, aided by the lens or filter adapter, and a close-up lens. You can either get the Canon 250D, 500 or 500D, or, and that is what I did, get a B+W closeup lens (some people call it a filter).

To see some of the results, check this post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...ost&p=47502

and scroll down a little. All of the pics in that post were taken with my G5, and all of the macro shots with the adapter and closeup lens. Oh, and all hand held :). That should be even easier with the IS of the G9.

To shoot, just focus with the closeup lens and adapter mounted, it is that simple. Even zooming still works. The only thing you can't do is focus at infinity, with a closeup lens mounted all you can do is macro.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Recently I got a Canon S5, my first "real" camera since my old Pentax MEs (film SLRs), and had the same response to the manual, but over the last four months I have simply played with the camera quite a bit and have to say that once I got over being overwhelmed by the features and the manual, I have fallen in love with what seems to me an extremely powerful and rather intuitive tool.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I find them encouraging.

Wim, I love the macro flower shots you took with your G5. And how I wish I could have been in the back seat of that glider. It must be a wonderful experience to fly and have no sound except for the sound of the wind! Something close to a dream for me.

I have been playing with the camera but with little good results. What I have to figure out is how to control the camera in full manual mode - aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and focus. For some reason, this camera is hard for me to get my mind around with regards to controlling all of the manual features at once. I think I'll get there. Thank goodness this isn't a film camera! I'd be out tons of money.

Once I get to understanding full manual mode, I'll purchase the 58mm macro lens. Maybe then I'll be able to take half decent pictures.

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Current Pen Set Rotation: Conway Stewart 27 Green Hatch Broad Nib, Vintage Conway Stewart '58' Tiger's Eye Medium Italic Nib & Conway Stewart 60L Red Herringbone Broad Italic Nib

My suggestion is that you let the camera guide you. Don't fight it or force it (close yours eyes, let the force be with you . . .). Seriously, Take it out with you on some excursions, take out your pen photography studio and use the camera. As you do so, widen your horizons in terms of using the various functions. That's what I did, and on my winter vacation this past week in Joshua Tree, I not only got some great shots, but learned a few new tricks.

• 2 weeks later...

Peace,

Phroneo Hi there I am just as scared as you when it comes to Macro Photos but most cameras have a setting which you should be able to chose which will enable you to improve the quality of your photos when trying to take Macro, furthermore you have one of the best named Camera's on the Market. On my camera I have that setting but because I just use the fully auto settings of point and shoot I am toooooo scared to change the settings on my camera to see how good it is. Please look through your instruction book it should tell you how to set it up to take macro, after you have finished change it back and let me know how you get on ; Good Luck. Bryan

(1) The Canon 250D add in correction lens costs more than the +1, +2 correction lenses but is optically superior, (from the lens technical engineer standpoint, not the picking cabbages sense). It is more highly corrected for aberations as it is a doublet. (Can one see the difference at a practical level, YMMV).

(2) The biggest issue with good macro photography is lighting. Pictures taken with a minimal camera and good macro lighting will always whoop pictures taken with a top end camera and poor lighting.

(3) Good lighting setups can be done on a very tight budget, but they requre application and effort.

Best of luck

YMMV

Phroneo Hi there I am just as scared as you when it comes to Macro Photos but most cameras have a setting which you should be able to chose which will enable you to improve the quality of your photos when trying to take Macro, furthermore you have one of the best named Camera's on the Market. On my camera I have that setting but because I just use the fully auto settings of point and shoot I am toooooo scared to change the settings on my camera to see how good it is. Please look through your instruction book it should tell you how to set it up to take macro, after you have finished change it back and let me know how you get on ; Good Luck. Bryan

Hi Brian,

The thing to do is play with it, and make notes on what you do. Since digital photography is more or less for free, once you have the equipment, it certainly is worthwhile playing with your camera and lighting.

It'll just cost you a little time :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Todd,

I'd like to add a few comments, if you don't mind.

(1) The Canon 250D add in correction lens costs more than the +1, +2 correction lenses but is optically superior, (from the lens technical engineer standpoint, not the picking cabbages sense). It is more highly corrected for aberations as it is a doublet. (Can one see the difference at a practical level, YMMV).

The 250D is a +4 correction lens, and it is more or less what you will need for macro work on a G9. You can actually see the difference with a cheaper model close-up lens. The doublet is actually an achromatic doublet, which means less colour separation on nearby subjects. Of course, the photographer, his vision, and his skills generally are more important than th eequipemnt, but IME every little bit helps :).

(2) The biggest issue with good macro photography is lighting. Pictures taken with a minimal camera and good macro lighting will always whoop pictures taken with a top end camera and poor lighting.

See my remarks at point 1 :).

(3) Good lighting setups can be done on a very tight budget, but they require application and effort.

Best of luck

Yes, as usual with this type of stuff, practice makes perfect :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I just purchased a Canon G9. Great camera, but I don't think it will replace my Canon 20D and 100mm macro lens for close up work. The picture quality and controls on the G9 are quite good, but the short working distance can make lighting and highlight control more difficult.

Here's a quick shot I did this morning, no add on lenses or fancy photoshop work, just the G9 and a Parker Duofold:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/ircameraman/CanonG9Macro.jpg

It is certainly capable of taking beautiful close-ups.

Larry

I just purchased a Canon G9. Great camera, but I don't think it will replace my Canon 20D and 100mm macro lens for close up work. The picture quality and controls on the G9 are quite good, but the short working distance can make lighting and highlight control more difficult.

Here's a quick shot I did this morning, no add on lenses or fancy photoshop work, just the G9 and a Parker Duofold:

It is certainly capable of taking beautiful close-ups.

Larry

Obviously, for utmost quality in large prints, when it comes to macro work a dslr with dedicated macro lens is hard to beat. However, the G9 and its predecessors are no slouch either, and adding a close-up lens into the equation means you can stay further away if necessary. Don't forget the long end of the zoom range is a sizable focal length, allowing you quite a bit of leeway still :). The increased pixel density, combined with the quality of the lens, does certainly help as well :).

And this is indeed a very, very nice picture.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I'll have to try one of the Canon close up lenses. I really like this camera. I went to the North American International Auto Show today and gave the G9 a workout. Even shooting at ISO 800 and 1600, the pictures look good, and 4x6 prints I made when I got home are excellent. Here's my favorite Car and picture from the show:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/ircameraman/CameroWeb.jpg

I might just put one of these in my driveway when they become available. :D

Larry