Poussière de Lune scan/mini review

Nellie

I've always found J. Herbin inks too washed out - especially considering what they cost - but this one I was really curious about and so I bought it when I found it at a slightly reduced price in a bookshop yesterday. And . . . the amazing thing is: I really like it. Here's a scan that shows how many different shades you can get depending how thickly the ink is applied (done with a medium Sheaffer NoNonsense on recycling paper).

I agree with the previous reviews (Ryan/drifting's and Hana/umenohana's) that the ink flows well and dries fairly quickly (in under 5 seconds on regular white paper and about 15 seconds on my recycling pad according to my smear test). I don't consider it a burgundy ink, though: it flows from my pen as a reddish purple but dries to a dusty greyish purple.

The fact that I've accidentally put in much too much Sterilink apparently doesn't seem to have harmed this ink. However it does feather the tiniest bit on a very cheap white writing pad I have and I don't now if P. de Lune does that in its original state.

Nellie

PS.: The ink looks a bit lighter on my screen than what I see on the paper

post-2955-1196365381_thumb.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nellie

• GouletPens

• PacificCoastPen

• Chris H

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great idea--to use the text of a Shakespeare sonnet for an ink review. And illustrating it with the drawing of the rose was positively inspired.

I've been trying this ink for the past week and concur with everything you said.

Thank you, Robert. I must admit, though, that I actually copied the sonnet for sth. else and it was only later when I had finished the drawing that I noticed how well it shows the colour & shading of this ink. Only then did it occur to me that I could post this in yet another review of Poussiere de Lune.

Nellie :)

edited to ask this:

Does somebody know if this ink stains demonstrator pens /converters and the like?

Edited by Nellie

Wow this is a great way to show lots of aspects of an ink. Nice rose picture! Good job!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

As a red wine drinker, I have spilled untold quantities of wine on table cloths, napkins, carpets and rugs on three continents - and nearly always when I am stone cold sober. Red wine stains are unique as they dry to a "dusty greyish purple." I love Poussiere de Lune, and its color reminds me so much of those wine stains that I call it "wine stain red." It has an organic look on paper that really like in personal letters.

However, despite my nickname for the ink, after about 20 (?) years of using it I have yet to see it stain any of the components of my pens. Note: I have no demonstrator pens, so I do not know its effect on those particular pens.

Thank you for a really nice review.

Edited by FrankB

That sounds good! Thanks!! FrankB, have you used it in pens with clear converters or ink windows, though?

And has anyone tried it in a demonstrator??

• 1 year later...
As a red wine drinker, I have spilled untold quantities of wine on table cloths, napkins, carpets and rugs on three continents - and nearly always when I am stone cold sober. Red wine stains are unique as they dry to a "dusty greyish purple." I love Poussiere de Lune, and its color reminds me so much of those wine stains that I call it "wine stain red." It has an organic look on paper that really like in personal letters.

Frank, thank you for that comment. I've been looking for an ink that replicates that very color. I was torn between this and the Noodler's burgundy (granted, the noodler's would be more of a not-quite-dry red wine), but your description sold me. Now I just have to hope that Bromfield's has it when i get out there.

Thanks!

- Evan

Well done. Perhaps the next time I do a review I will use a sample of what I am reading, assuming its gets past the censor!

This is one of my favourite inks - the scan looks a bit more purplish than my experience, but it could be the monitor settings, etc...

As to using this in a demonstrator, I would not recommend it. I have an Omas Ogiva Vision (piston fill) that was stained by a purplish colour (not by me) and despite my efforts, nothing has been able to remove the staining completely. I think if you do a search you will find similar comments on the reds - purples.

In fact, here is a copy of the sample I did for my pen club:

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Thanks much for the review, and for the Shakespeare. I keep looking at this ink, albeit on my computer screen. It's now on my list of inks to try.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Nellie. I've received some of this ink recently from the Ink Sample Exchange, and I've fallen in love with it. A nice antique look with great shading. I'm going to have to buy a bottle...

Jared

This review is full of awesome win. Not only for the lovely rose, but because its really nice to see a handwriting that is more like my own...so I can better gauge what it would look like to have this ink.

I didn't consider this ink before, but I'm changing my mind after this. :happyberet:

Edited by TwilightFury

Pens I own: Waterman Hemisphere F, Pelikan Epoch M, Parker Frontier Luna Purple M, 9 Lamy Safaris, 2 Pelikan Futures, 2 Heros, Taccia Amethyst Mosaic M, Lamy 2000 B, Kaweco Sport B, Pelikan M101N Souveran

When I win the lottery: Montblanc Boheme Doue Collection - Pirourette with Lilac Stone FP

• 8 months later...

Stunning review. Especially the Shakespeare (see my profile).

Amd your flower!!

I might soon add a review with my own thoughts.

Thanks.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review. Poussiere de Lune is one of my favorite Herbin's, I keep a purple LE VP permanently inked with this ;)

:thumbup: for the Shakespeare text, and :notworthy1: for your artistic rose-drawing-skills.

You're not the only one who likes Poussière de Lune, it's been the single-most popular J. Herbin ink color I've sold to FPN members. Cacao du Brésil is a close second. It's great for me to be able to see the colors in practical use, I admittedly don't have as much time as I'd like to test them all myself (maybe after Christmas!). Great review, and I REALLY like that rose!! :yikes:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

For purple ink, this one is the bomb! I don't use it all the time, but I do have a pen always inked with it. Usually use it to write letters to my daughter, who loves purple.

Good review!

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

• 1 month later...

I just filled a new (to me) Wearever Pennant with this color ... and it came out very faint, almost lavender. I was hoping for a much stronger purple. Perhaps its the pen?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I just filled a new (to me) Wearever Pennant with this color ... and it came out very faint, almost lavender. I was hoping for a much stronger purple. Perhaps its the pen?

y

If it's a dry writer, i'd say yes. It doesn't look at all lavender to me, but all of my pens are wet writers. It should look like a wine stain when dry.

Sometimes if there is excess moisture in the nib of a pen (if it just got flushed or cleaned, for example), it will start out laying out the ink color lightly. After writing a few paragraphs or pages, it should start to darken. Some pens are also dry writers, which would also cause lighter colors, but I'm not familiar with the Wearever Pennant.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner