Caran d'Ache Sunset

girlieg33k

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics. Click the image to view the scan full-size.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkspot

• girlieg33k

• mucephei

• nicholasyeo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review-I've been curious about this one. Hmm, if you crossed this scan with Ghost Plane's scan of Tulipe Noire, I think it would come out how my bottle of TN looks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

That's a nice review, I've just filled my pen with that - however pink it's not, It's a very deep red verging on burgundy.

the pens a Cross Apogee with a medium nib - does the pen make a difference?

David

• 4 months later...

I just purchased a bottle of the Caran d'Ache Sunset - we went through every red the store I was at sold (they don't carry Noodlers, but they do carry over 14 other ink brands). I found most of the "reds" were quite orange/yellow, or tended to a more blue/black tone. I found this to be a deep red that definitely stood apart from all of the other inks (Visconti, Private Reserve, J Herbin, Omas....). It was the only red I liked.

I've used it with a J Herbin glass dipping pen, and with an extra fine steel nib dipping pen - the heavier lines of the glass pen are quite a bit redder, but the extra fine nib writing is definitely a deep red. Quick drying time, smooth flow, and subtle shading. On my monitor the image is quite a bit lighter - which makes it look much pinker than the deep red I find it to be.

I find it quite easy to read a full page in both the extra-fine and broader.

Definitely an ink that makes my favourite colour list. I'll be buying more the the Caran d'Ache line in the future between the reviews I've seen here and the bottle of Sunset I have.

Paul.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

Looks pink-ish to me, too, but be it pinkish or deep-red-verging-on-burgundy, I like it. I have the CdA Saffron and Grand Canyon and love those as well. Saw a scan of Storm somewhere and liked that, too. Why oh why do they have to be so expensive :headsmack:

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams

Love the color. The more I see these Caran D'Ache inks the more I like them.

Regards,

Ray

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics. Click the image to view the scan full-size.

Actually, the scanner can be dead-on accurate, and is under precise control of the operator with sample in hand. That should be the most perfect part of the process, not a helpless variable.

The viewer's web browser and monitor is the only problem.

Obviously the color is different with different papers etc. but that is the correct color, not the reproduction issue.

Help me, I'm getting in too deep!

post-16460-1211531664_thumb.png

--John

• 5 months later...

I don't like this red. It is (IMHO)

- too pink

- too blue

- too grey.

To be fair, still a nice colour, maybe a type of raspberry or so....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I like this red. I've got Caran D'Ache Amazon, which is nice, too.

As for the expense, I think we're mostly paying for that pretty hunk of glass they put precious little of their ink in. ;)

sas

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the review -- this is too pink for me, but might be ideal for my daughter who is looking for a "pinkish" ink.

• 1 year later...

I must say I love this ink. I bought it just recently, and I am quite pleased at how my

Origami Crane lays down a thick hue of the "sunset" colour. It gets kind of dark at

places, and lighter at others. The flow is moderate, the colour quite subtle and not

too harsh a red. I think that the bottle is also a very nice one, of course. :happyberet:

• 2 weeks later...

I like this ink too - the only Caran d'Ache ink I own. In my experience this is not too pink on the page, it dries to a deep reddish hue - I would describe it as a deep raspberry colour. I have seen colours similar to that at sunset so the name is spot-on.

I actually think thats a really nice colour, it looks a lot less pink in the writing sample.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

• 8 months later...

I ordered a sample of this a while back, and after using a full fill, I decided it was a little too bright for me - like ghost Plane said, kind of lipsticky. I went to clean out the pen and noticed that the empty converter, when filled with water, looked just as dark as the original ink. I started writing with the pen and LOVED the colour! I dilute it 1:1 or so with water and love it - plus a bottle goes twice as far now :)