J. herbin Perle Noire

acolythe

This is my first review so forgive the amateurishness (is that a word?). Moreover the handwriting and the pics leave a lot to be desired. No one has reviewwed this ink and I stumbled upon it the other day in a local paper store. The only one that carries writing pads in the ENTIRE city BTW.

I have taken the pix on my digital since my scanner is out currently. First is under flourescent light and second outside oin a cloudy gray day. Both corrected as best i could.

post-7599-1194812223_thumb.jpg

post-7599-1194812267_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acolythe

• Ondina

• lapis

• missnibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's good to see a review of this ink. It is my daily ink of choice. No matter which other black I try, I always return to this one. If you don't mind my adding a few of my own observations about this ink:

• Excellent lubrication on the page and flow from the nib

Dries immediately

Water resistant (more than most; less than N's)

Fade resistant

Less feathering than others black I've used (no feathering on most paper, some feathering on cheap paper)

A little bleed-through on double-inked areas like crossed "t"s on thin or cheap paper

The color is deep, opaque, neutral, with a nice subtle brilliance as compared to the more dull finish of, e.g., Aurora black or Sailor black

The bottle, from a practical if not historical viewpoint, is terrible, but the company is said to be in the midst of redesigning it

Edited by jbn10161

JN

It's good to see a review of this ink. It is my daily ink of choice. No matter which other black I try, I always return to this one. If you don't mind my adding a few of my own observations about this ink:

Dries immediately

Fade resistent

Less feathering than others black I've used (no feathering on most paper, some feathering on cheap paper)

A little bleed-through on double-inked areas like crossed "t"s on thin or cheap paper

The color is deep, opaque, neutral, with a nice subtle brilliance as compared to the more dull finish of, e.g., Aurora black or Sailor black

The bottle, from a practical if not historical viewpoint, is terrible, but the company is said to be in the midst of redesigning it

Thanks very much for the help. I found all these things to be true. I should have thought to add these things.

Thanks for doing this review. I only have the scented version of this ink, Black Ink for Man, and it will be nice to do a comparison.

Great idea taking a picture of it under different lighting conditions. What kind of color correction did you use? I'm trying to get a handle on it at the moment.

Thanks for doing this review. I only have the scented version of this ink, Black Ink for Man, and it will be nice to do a comparison.

Great idea taking a picture of it under different lighting conditions. What kind of color correction did you use? I'm trying to get a handle on it at the moment.

adobe photoshop elements

but Irfanview is free and will automatically correct color

b

• 2 months later...

Dries immediately

Fade resistant

" a nice subtle brilliance" wow. With observation skill like that in the group, I think i should stop doing reviews. They are far more complex and require more observation power and thinking than this old brain still posses.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Review. Thanks for showing the ink from different pens. Ink performance is very dependent on the pen's flow and nib width and your review shows off some of the ink's character. Herbin inks are great... too bad I had to sell my left kidney for a bottle.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

• 1 year later...
This is my first review so forgive the amateurishness (is that a word?). Moreover the handwriting and the pics leave a lot to be desired. No one has reviewwed this ink and I stumbled upon it the other day in a local paper store. The only one that carries writing pads in the ENTIRE city BTW.

I have taken the pix on my digital since my scanner is out currently. First is under flourescent light and second outside oin a cloudy gray day. Both corrected as best i could.

Thank you for a very informative review. Very nice touch to have written the review using the ink under consideration. Also, and here I a very much a novice, using different pens and expressing the variations of the way the ink performed in each was very helpful to me. I am especially glad that you used a Souveran M400, since I am, even as I write this, awaiting the arrival of the one I ordered yesterday, black with a fine nib. This is also why I a reading reviews of black and blue inks, (the only colors I have, at least for now, and interest in using).

I will look for, and hope to find, other reviews that you have posted. As others have also expressed, you seem to have a good grasp on what an ink review should reveal.

Thank you, Lou

Very good review of an excellent ink and subsequent thread. I find Perle Noir to be the Black ink and agree with the many praises it gets whenever reviewed. A classic among classic.

The more reasonable prices for this ink are fellow member Caligula if in the US, or www.penandco.com if in the EU.

For me, it is a toss-up whether Perle Noire or Aurora Black is my favorite black -- I like them both and will probably go on using both inks in my rotation.

Thank you for the review!

Edited by Peter from Sherwood Park

This is a superb black ink and has worked well in all pens I've tried it in. It is close to being waterproof (a little washes off, but you can definitely read the remaining writing). Try it on a canary-colored paper -- it looks really good on the pale yellow. And has quite gentlemanly behavior on any paper I've used it on.

I would label it as my favorite black, but I've also had very nice behavior with Noodler's black. They're both excellent inks. And, somehow, both Noodler's Black and Perle Noire have more "character" in the way they write and look on the paper for me than Heart of Darkness, even though HoD is a very black ink.

Ondina, that Aurora black sample you sent me came out of my pen like greased Ex-Lax (like Tanzanite, only not as constipated :rolleyes: ). It looked great on the page, but just flows too much for me.

Ondina, that Aurora black sample you sent me came out of my pen like greased Ex-Lax (like Tanzanite, only not as constipated :rolleyes: ). It looked great on the page, but just flows too much for me.

:roflmho: I agree. The good news is that it probably was the bottle. Some friends have brought me a new one from their Roman holidays. Send me a PM if you want a second sample. (This behaves just right).

• 4 months later...

This is probably one of the best black inks I've ever seen. Very dark, creates a wonderful contrast on shiny Clairefontaine paper, but it also looks amazing on Rhodia for that matter. And last but not least, I'm VERY fond of the name: Black Pearl - Captain Jack Sparrow would've approved I'm sure ;D)

Thanks for the review. I can't help repeating a lot of what has been said above. Although black is not one of my favourite colours, it is my favourite black. The only other black I have which can "compete" with this is Aurora's.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 1 year later...

This is probably one of the best black inks I've ever seen. Very dark, creates a wonderful contrast on shiny Clairefontaine paper, but it also looks amazing on Rhodia for that matter. And last but not least, I'm VERY fond of the name: Black Pearl - Captain Jack Sparrow would've approved I'm sure ;D)

Best black ink I've ever used too. It's quite feather resistant, dries fast enough and washes off your clothes. I think it has a purple base too. If I hold my Edison Collier up to a light with a thin film of ink on the ink window it is definitely purple. Maybe that's why it has a warm look even when it's dry.

Thanks for your review - it reminded me that I have a bottle of this that has been languishing, unused, in the ink drawer. Just put it in the P51 that I've been trying to find an ink for -- seems to be a nice combination.

In any event, it's a good review that prompts us to revisit or try an item we'd forgotten! HP/Vicki

The sky IS falling. C. Little

hmmm---i wasnt aware that there IS any black ink other than perle noire--THE black ink for me, regardless of pen or nibsize ---safe, reliable, well-mannered, and looks great

well done---thanks for the review, and reminding me why i use this black ink every day and never worry about fiddle-flirtin around w/ any other

• 2 weeks later...