• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stylo

• KCat

• saintsimon

• Dr.Grace

No reviews that I have seen. Frankly, for a pen costing between $200 and $300, the looks are disappointing. The nib shape alone may be a turnoff to many. Unless some better pictures reveal the hidden beauty of this pen, I think the ductus will go down you know which duct as a failure.

I haven't seen any reviews either. Maybe I'm dense, but to me that nib looks like a duck bill. Maybe that's the point. I like the look of the pen personally, I'll wait for it to go the way of the clearance aisle myself though.

Edit: BLEH on the waiting for the clearance aisle...a Pelikan that's not a piston-filler...no thanks. I saw another picture of the nib...Ugly Ductus is all I can say. Maybe it'll grow into a beatiful pelikan someday, but not now.

Edited by penguinmaster

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

Such an ugly pen, and a C/C-filler? Pelikan must be joking!

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I saw another picture of the nib...Ugly Ductus is all I can say.

Worse than ugly is the fact that you associate that nib with lower end pens.

frustrating - people gripe about Pelikan making the same ol' pens over and over. Then they make something new and nobody likes it.

I rather like the look (sans the nib) but have no interest in a pen that expensive. It *looks* like it should be a $70 pen. Maybe that's the nib telling me that as Stylo says.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

frustrating - people gripe about Pelikan making the same ol' pens over and over. Then they make something new and nobody likes it.

True for the Ductus (even the name isn't flattering :lol: ), but how about the massive collective drooling over the Majesty line, which is of course a lot more expensive than the Dooctoos :) . Also, there is always a chance that it will seem a lot more attractive once some decent pictures of it become available (@ Worldlux perhaps).

I must say though that the grip design is in my view a huge improvement over the short grip of the Souveran series. Thumbs up to Pelikan for that.

Any one have a picture?? I have a hard time picturing an ugly Pelikan!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Just saw this thread, and I must concur, it isn't very nice. Looks sort of, well, I dunno... just... don't like it. But I must admit, the most repulsive element is certainly the price.

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US....00-fountain-pen

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

True for the Ductus (even the name isn't flattering :lol: ),

too true. I am a biologist and when I read that name it conjured up anything but pleasant images.

but how about the massive collective drooling over the Majesty line, which is of course a lot more expensive than the Dooctoos :) .

Honestly - not something I understand. I think the Majesty is overdone. But then, I wouldn't be a true Souveran addict if I didn't appreciate simple, straightforward design. And I'm not wild about metal pens anyway. This is going to sound anti-elitist I'm sure but I can't help it - I am anti-elitist: You inadvertently (?) touch on this above. I think some of the fuss over the Majesty grew out of people who just like very expensive, very "look at me" metal pens. Not all of it. Just some of it. We know of at least one person here who is very open about buying pens because that show how successful that person is. That's fine if that's what makes you happy. It's just not my view on FPs. So I saw the Majesty as "just another glitzy, overpriced FP." So, I guess I'm guilty as well of saying "Pelikan could stand to branch out - but only in the direction I want them to go!" :) Example: I like the look of the Epoch but, dang it, it has a metal section.

Also, there is always a chance that it will seem a lot more attractive once some decent pictures of it become available (@ Worldlux perhaps).

(nod) And of course, sometimes a pen in the hand is even more impressive. The opposite is also true - it could be that "in person" this thing is HIDEOUS. :) I don't like the clip but I don't like anything that departs drastically from the beak. A more stylized beak or something that at least still evokes the beak is fine. But these flat clips remind me of cheap spoons in a diner.

I must say though that the grip design is in my view a huge improvement over the short grip of the Souveran series. Thumbs up to Pelikan for that.

Hm. I'll have to look closer. I didn't notice that bit. Though the Souveran grip has never been an issue for me, I can understand how it would be for folks with larger hands or higher grips.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have now seen a picture and the pen isn't exactly ugly but not the greatest I've seen. However the primary reason I won't buy one is that it appears to be Cartridge only and has that same goofy cartridge holder like the Epoch!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think the Majesty is overdone. ... So I saw the Majesty as "just another glitzy, overpriced FP."

I was one of the few who didn't go gaga over it, especially since for that price, you can get more delicately worked sterling silver finishes. But, my impression from reading the literature on the Majesty was that it represented a new line of pens, not just a lone pen, implying that other finishes may eventually become available.

Example: I like the look of the Epoch but, dang it, it has a metal section.

I haven't held an Epoch, but I wonder whether there is a trend of worrying too much about metal sections. In the case of SS pens, for instance, oxidation creates very light surface roughness that prevents the pen from being slippery. If indeed slipperiness is your main concern with metal sections, then it really all depends on how the surface is finished. A very polished surface will quickly feel slippery. But one with slight roughness may actually offer more friction than certain plastic sections.

Hm. I'll have to look closer. I didn't notice that bit. Though the Souveran grip has never been an issue for me, I can understand how it would be for folks with larger hands or higher grips.

It's mostly an issue for high grippers who seem to be a minority.

I haven't held an Epoch, but I wonder whether there is a trend of worrying too much about metal sections. In the case of SS pens, for instance, oxidation creates very light surface roughness that prevents the pen from being slippery. If indeed slipperiness is your main concern with metal sections, then it really all depends on how the surface is finished. A very polished surface will quickly feel slippery. But one with slight roughness may actually offer more friction than certain plastic sections.

I have thought of this because in general it is the slippery feeling that bothers me. But there's also a "coldness" to metal that I just don't like. Not just metal sections but metal pens as a whole. OTOH, that Pelikan auction being discussed (the 100) shows me that a metal pen can be gorgeous. :) It's mostly psychological, I'm sure. I had a Vector for years and when I was younger it never bothered me but as I got older, trying to grip that slippery section was maddening. Of course, there are other flaws with the section design on that pen (IMO) - the small diameter and the short section with a sudden and biting step up to the barrel.

KCat

I went to see Pelikan's Ductus at the Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston last Friday. Just one look, it's a good attractive pen. It is almost as long and thick as M800. The only, but crucial con is that the pen can just takes a cartridge, not even a converter. The selection of ink, therefore, is very limited. I would rather go to Sahara or M800, even though they are more expensive than Ductus. In a long run, the difference of the price will be paid, because of costly ink cartridges.

he only, but crucial con is that the pen can just takes a cartridge, not even a converter.

Are you sure? I think Pelikan has a short converter for pens like the Pelikano Jr. I wonder whether that one would work.

he only, but crucial con is that the pen can just takes a cartridge, not even a converter.

Are you sure? I think Pelikan has a short converter for pens like the Pelikano Jr. I wonder whether that one would work.

The way that the converter would have to sit in the little cage for the cartridge makes me wonder if it would seat at all let alone allow international cartridges to be used.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

I'll agree with the others, the design makes it look like a much cheaper pen.

Imagine if they'd made the same thing, but with a more beak-like clip, and used some nice-looking materials (like the stuff from the cities pens, or even striped acrylic like the souverans!) and equipped it with a piston! Oooooo... B)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I think the part that makes it look cheapest is the nib, at least in so far as I can make it from the pictures. When you pay $200+ for a pen, it better have a sexy nib :)