Violette Pensee - J. Herbin -- scan attached

Inkquest

My J. Herbin Violette Pensee arrived today, so a quick review..

Excellent flow. Very smooth and easy writing. A nice shade of Violette similar to the Waterman Purple with just that hint of blue tint which separates Violet from Purple. Very little shading effect on the fine nib, just a rather steady coloring throughout. The swab gives a bit of indication to the shading the ink will have with a larger, wetter nib, but I would not rank this as a high shading ink. Just a superior violet color.

I use Waterman as a comparison because it is what I consider to be a very standard, good color medium purple. Not dark, not light.. just purple.

I give Violette Pensee 5 stars for excellent violet shadecolor, and 2 stars for the bottle. While the little pen rest is a nice touch, the bottle itself is very shallow. Works easily with a 51, but after a few fills or less with a larger, non hooded nib, there will probably be a problem with tilting the bottle for filling... Just not a well thought out practical design.

post-9340-1193961539_thumb.jpg

post-9340-1193961562_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rev. Nathan

• Ernst Bitterman

• Ghost Plane

• bigstick

Nice color. But tell us about your 51!

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Thanks for the review. I agree. Herbin Violette Pensee is one of my favorite violet inks.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks for the review. I agree. Herbin Violette Pensee is one of my favorite violet inks.

I just purchased a bottle

Nice color for my Franklin Covey Daily Planner.

Looks bluer that the Waterman, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Lovely.

But what an absolutely gorgeous pen! I know nothing about Parkers yet; is it vintage?

Hey guys,

That pen is a custom newly made body/section/cap from Ariel Kullock. THe nib and innards are standard Parker aero parts as is the jewel and clip.

It's called Fantasy Pearly Violet... do a search on Ebay on "Kullock" and you should find the seller. These ran a while back and I snagged one, but when the auction ended, there were still a few left. He does some nice work. I have another "Magnum" 51 with an excellent remake of the Empire State cap design. I wish more people did custom 51 pens/parts. Sure, I love the originals, but I like some new spins as well. He also has several clip designs also.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. I just bought a couple of his creations.

Dave

I used this color to write thank-you notes after I got married. When the first bottle arrived from FPH, it had leaked a little and made a bit of a mess. I would say 99% of the ink was still in the bottle (but it's amazing what that 1% looks like when it's not in the bottle!). I called them and they sent out a fresh bottle. I asked them if they wanted me to send back the messy bottle. They told me to keep it. So now I have 2 bottles of this. Haven't even touched the clean bottle yet!

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I have a bottle(at home) and carts with me here at uni. I matched it to my Bic Easy Clic(two shades of purple with a print of flowers and butterflies). My Easy Clic is short carts only, I am almost out of carts, will order more from Pendemonium when they are back in stock.

Very nice review, thank you, the color is great on the picture.

This colour is N°2 best sales for Herbin and was used by all the french pupils in the 40'50' at school.

Thanks again

Best regards

Jean Elie

love the pen, pass on the colour.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, everyone.

Inkquest, thank you for the nice review. I like the color of Vilette Pensee very much.

By the way, has anyone ever used this ink in a vintage Montblanc? I recently purchased a Montblanc 149 in the 70s (it's on its way to me now), and I am now wondering what ink to use. I like the color very much, but I'm wondering if this ink is safe for a vintage Montblanc (in terms of, say, clogging and/or staining). I appreciate any info.

Thank you in advance.

I use Herbin inks in my most valuable pens as they're very well behaved, including my modern 149.

There's something in me that finds this colour just the wrong side of the divider between masculine and feminine to use freely. This is a shame, as it's a fine ink. The problem, as with so many of this sort, is internal to the person that finds a it a problem.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Since I wrote the above, I've had another go with it to see if I could overcome my foolish objection. Alas, not entirely (an ink that won't appear at work), but I do discover through a happy accident that it is VERY resistant to water damage once it's been on the paper a day or so. Very interesting.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I love the colour, but noticed that it was very hard to remove from chrome once dry - It was only a small amount that dried on the inside of a chrome section. Has anyone else found that it can stain metal?!

• 9 months later...

I bought a bottle of this ink. I really like the color. Problem is: it can't handle light. I put some writing in a south-facing window only 17 days ago and it is now almost illegible. This is winter in NE Ohio; only a couple of those days were bright and sunny. The rest have been overcast with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and low temperatures. Even Pelikan Brilliant Red is more light fast than this ink.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

This is one of the inks I reach for when I'm up against a writer's block -- it's enough different from my normal inks that it gives me a fresh start.