Is it true that Waterman Edson is design to never leak on a plane ?

goodguy

I read and heard Waterman Edson doesnt leak in planes.

Is that true ?

How does this work and in what way (mechanicly) is this pen different then other pens that it will not leak.

And last question-was somebody with an Edson on a plane ?

Did it leak or not ?

Respect to all

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smarcus3

• StickMan

• JDFlood

• mstutzer

According to the documentation, it was designed to be the first fountain pen that would not leak on an airplane. I haven't flight tested mine.

The Edson's barrel and section are both made of brass with very fine threads. There's an O-ring at the base of the male threads on the section. It appears to be designed to make an air-tight seal.

None of my other pens come close to having a section-barrel seal that strong, including my Waterman Exception Oversize.

I think I would trust my Edson on an airliner.

bt

Flew numerous time with completely filled Waterman Phileas, Parker 51 , Lamy 2000 and none have leaked on my round trips to Sierra Vista AZ.

Must be the dry heat!!!!

Waterman claims the Edson will not leak on a modern airplane trip. I've flown with mine and it indeed has not leaked.

I've flown with about 15 of my other pens and they have not leaked either, except for a Wality piston filler that was only 1/3 full.

I find my Edson to be a great pen, one of my very favorites. However, it is not unique in its non-leakage during my flights.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

I fly all the time with different FPs, never had one leak. I would imagine the test would be to put the pen in your pocket nib down for take off, then flip it when you go through 30,000 feet that should do the trick. I think you still need to wear a white shirt, to be assured of leakage.

I have a number of Waterman from 1980's they all had O-rings where the barrel is attached. I doubt this is the mechanics that makes it "leak resistant", or what ever they claim. I like my Edson as well. JD

There's no reason a pen with a bladder should leak because it's on a plane. The air pressure on the inside and the outside of the flexible bladder should remain reasonably constant. On a piston filler, with a rigid sided reservoir, it is possible that an air bubble inside the pen could expand as the pressure outside the pen drops. That could result in pushing ink out of the feed. Keeping the pen upright should put any bubbles right under the feed, so there's little if any chance of ink pushing out. Ensuring that there are no air bubbles should also deal with this issue.

I've never had one leak on me in the cabin. Having one in the cargo hold is just asking for trouble.

• 13 years later...

I am the original owner of a burgundy Edson.  It ALWAYS showed small amounts of ink around the inlaid nib upon being uncapped, whether it was on a plane or not.  If I didn't remember to wipe it off it appeared on my fingers.  I recently discovered that the Edson came with a "lifetime warranty", which must have been used to convince people to pay the high price.  I recently contacted Waterman to have it repaired.  After mailing it to France, they asked me to pay $87 before it was repaired.  I was told that the "lifetime warranty" is meaningless unless you can produce it from the original box or a sales slip, which I (and doubtless some of you) could not do.  After assuring me they would indeed solve the problem by proper re-alignment of the inlaid nib, I  paid and they did -- for now.