Survey: Do you post the cap while writing in fountain pen?

ko6

Have you ever tried to write with a posten Sheaffer Connaisseur? Impossible.

Have you ever tried to write with a not-posted sailor pocket? Impossible

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ko6

• Scrawler

• vicpen123

• Surlyprof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(ko6 @ Oct 29 2007, 10:38 PM) 405703[/snapback]
Always post the cap! Otherwise what's the purpose of my left hand?

Holding the cap while writing?

It depends on the pen and sometimes the situation. I almost always post my Twsbi Mini, and rarely post my Noodler's Ahab. If I'm writing with my Platinum Preppie, I don't post. If I am drawing with my Preppie, I'm far more likely to post (I grip the pen further back for loose sketching). I'm more likely to post if I am drawing in the middle of a field and want to keep track of the cap. If I am writing at home, I am less likely to post. But I'm also not one of these people who have to have the pen balanced to the millimeter - I'm used to having all sorts of different pencils, pens, and brushes, so I'm fairly adaptable.

I post all except for my MB Noblesse because it spits ink into the cap. Posting would only add ink to the end of my pen, and I'll wind up having to wipe it clean before putting the pen away.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

There was a time when I posted regularly. I rarely post now and when I do it is usually my Parker 45 Flighter. Why? I love the look of that pen posted. Reminds me of a jet aircraft.....

But I don't post it more than I do. I rarely if ever post any of my others.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Nope - I never post my pens when using them. I like big pens and so posting the cap simply makes them too unwieldy.

Depends on the pen. With my Esties, yes, and also with my Lamy Safari. I have some Bulows (similar to Jinhaos) that don't securely post, and since it has a heavy brass body, it is a touch too heavy when posted to be comfortable anyway. I prefer to post, since I am afraid of loosing the cap if I don't. Also, if I should have to lay a pen down during writing, the clip on the cap usually keeps it from rolling off the desk.

I post if it is a cheap pen that I don't mind having a few micro scratches in the back. If it is an expensive one that is super polished or has a finish that I don't want to ruin. I've noticed that I unconsciously slip it on my pinky finger then sort of roll my hand into a fist so it won't fall off. I don't currently own any really small pens but I imagine if the won't fit in my small hands then I will post them

The post above should not be regarded as the absolute and undeniable truth and facts as it may contain the garbled mutterings of an overworked, stressed and nonsensical student who may or may not be on the brink of insanity.
Please regard her with ten grains of salt and stay out of arms reach and at least ten metres away.

Much obliged,
Crazy Cat Lady

… always post. It is a part of the design for completion of the design model and necessary for the balance of the pen. Writing with an unposted pen is to me like writing with a golf pencil.

I just gave away nine pens for various reasons but four were Chinese brass cannonballs.

Edited by Dickkooty2

I always post if the pen can be posted, and if I'm going to write more than a phone number or a couple of words before capping it again. I've ended up with a couple of pens that can't be posted, or don't work well that way, but I wouldn't buy another. Not counting capless pens like the Vanishing Point, of course.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• 8 years later...

I rarely would post. The only time would be with a pen the size of a Kaweco Sport. I still have to see about the Pilot E95 - one of my "gotta get" pens.

I don't like to post because of the length, especially with Twisbi's. I'm also concerned about the potential scarring on the body, as happens with the Sports.

Nice 9-year-old thread. There seems to have been a kind of common-sense consensus that some pens are too short to write with unposted, and some pens are too large (i.e. unwieldy) to use posted. 

Most pens are probably somewhere in between (although where one draws the line for "too big" will probably vary by factors such as hand size). It's interesting to me that this has seemed to be an issue of almost religious importance to some folks. I wouldn't have expected to see so many "always" and "never" responses.

For myself, I generally prefer to post. Exceptions to this preference might be because:

Posting might damage the barrel (this does not apply to most pens I own, they are not that precious or perfect); or

Posting might make the pen too back-heavy (this does not apply to most pens I own, most of them are lightweight and my grip does not seem to be sensitive to the added weight); or

Pen was made not to post (I avoid these pens unless I'm sure they are large enough for me to write with comfortably); or 

Pen does not post deeply and securely enough to write with (ditto above comment); or

Pen is capless, so the question is moot. 

I don't recall seeing any polls on this forum, so I don't know if the software supports them. But it might be interesting to make such a poll, allowing for both the absolutes and the "it depends" sorts of answers, and see where sentiment lies these days. 

Yikes!  A 9 year old thread resurrected  :thumbup:

Here's my understanding... 'back in the day' (1950's / 1960's) or before most pens were designed to be posted to 'balance' the pen. (No one worried too much  back then it may 'scuff' the barrell.. it was a pen to be used to do a job) I rarely post these days... although I'm pretty sure some of my pens would be better balanced if I did.🤔