Survey: Do you post the cap while writing in fountain pen?

ko6

Looked at my post from 2014. My view/practice is I post "as needed" without regard to whether it will scratch the barrel. Most of my Pelikans get posted most of the time. Short note? Probably not.  Longer session? More likely 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ko6

• Scrawler

• 51ISH

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posting --- used to, but I don't anymore because many of the pens I currently use won't post so it is no longer a habit.

Nearly all of mine get posted.  There are a few pens I have that don't post well, but the bulk of them do get posted.  And yes, that DOES include vintage ones.  Because they're pens -- they're made to be used.

And because I'm not a C-worder....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I never post as I rarely, if ever use a fountain pen away from my desk.

However, in the past I’ve used pens in public libraries, cafes, trains, etc and posting was more important then to ensure I didn’t accidentally lose the cap.

My 'best' posting pens are my Parker 25's. Truly a pen designed to be posted as it has a recessed barrel. With the cap posted it's completely 'flush' with the barrel. Haven't touched these pens in nearly 50 years. I hated them when I was 13 yrs old, only now do I begin to appreciate them. 😲  I've cleaned two recently that had been sat inked. Quick flush with an Ear Bulb and both worked exactly as they should.

https://parkerpens.net/parker25.html

I have a comfort feel holding the cap in my hand while I write. The only pens I currently use capped are shorties like the Tombow Zoom f28

Yes. What else are stylish, matching finish caps for if not to make the pen look complete with style and balance?

A small black nondescript cap would be sufficient to stop pens drying out.

I never post.  I prefer the feel of a pen unposted anyway but many of mine are on the heavier side - 40+g - so putting on the cap at the wrong end just upsets the balance of a pen in my hand.

My hands tend to grip things very hard, a habit inherited from using the Bic cristals and plain wood pencils in the family common jar for years. In order to defeat this, I have to use a wide pen that is balanced towards the nib. Therefore I don’t post my pens, unless I have to to maintain length (Kaweco Sport) My hands are actually small enough that I usually don’t even have to post my sport. 

I also have this fear of posting the pen, then somehow releasing the cap and dropping it on the floor (I did this with a Pilot Metropolitan and dented it), so in lieu of posting I put the cap in my pocket. 

The exceptions are my Lamy Studio, which posts with a nice solid snap, my Moonman S1, which is my work pen, and my Platinum Preppy Sayagata, which is so light that posting doesn’t upset my hand balance.

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)

2 hours ago, The Elevator said:

Lamy Studio, which posts with a nice solid snap

It's funny (to me) about the Studio, the snap when posting is much more satisfying than the snap when closing the pen. 

One of life’s little pleasures is lining up the arrow clip with the nib on a Parker.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

17 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

One of life’s little pleasures is lining up the arrow clip with the nib on a Parker.

+1  :thumbup:

One clip that really 'pushes my buttons' is the clip on a Lamy 2000 BP. 

It's sharp and nasty, and scratches that bit of skin between my thumb and fore finger, if I don't line it up properly.  😠  But, not nearly as much as that Ad banner that keeps appearing at the bottom of the screen on here.  Just sayin.....🙂

On 3/24/2023 at 6:49 PM, christam said:

I never post.  I prefer the feel of a pen unposted anyway but many of mine are on the heavier side - 40+g - so putting on the cap at the wrong end just upsets the balance of a pen in my hand.

This is a very good point 

On 3/25/2023 at 2:42 PM, Penguincollector said:

+1.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:22 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

the snap when posting is much more satisfying than the snap when closing the pen. 

Then you should try the Cross Solo. 

If its a quick scribble or signature I do it unposted.

For longer writing, letters, cheques, etc where I want neater handwriting I will post. I like the center of gravity of the pen to be exactly in the crook/web between my index finger and thumb, and its only by posting can this be achieved with most pens. When balanced like this there is more control on the pressure of the nib on paper and its easy to have the pen glide along laying down ink. 

I used to post all the time.  I rarely do so any more; generally the cap is held in the off hand (except for the Jinhao 51A I clip to the outside of my collar -- that cap stays clipped while the pen is in use).  I have a Prera that I don't use as much as I like, that probably needs to be posted, and a Delike Alpha that I don't think I have inked yet, which probably would do better posted.  But nearly all my writing is done with that 51A and an emerald FPR Himalaya v1 with a 1.0M stub.