Noodler's Ellis Island (FPH Exclusive)

girlieg33k

I just broke into a bottle of this.

I love the color!

But does anyone else find this ink *excruciatingly* slow drying?

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Celeste

• Garageboy

• girlieg33k

• captnemo

Girlie,

Thank you for all the ink reviews. What a gem you are. I am fairly new to the FP game and recently stood bewildered in front of the ink display in the local FP shop not sure at all how to proceed.

Today, I'll see if they have Noodler's Ellis Island.

Best

I've stopped battling my inner demons.

We're on the same side now!

I just broke into a bottle of this.

I love the color!

But does anyone else find this ink *excruciatingly* slow drying?

Not particularly, no. The drying time is fine, and it doesn't smudge (at least on the paper I've used it with).

Viseguy

Girlie,

Thank you for all the ink reviews. What a gem you are. I am fairly new to the FP game and recently stood bewildered in front of the ink display in the local FP shop not sure at all how to proceed.

Today, I'll see if they have Noodler's Ellis Island.

Best

It's sold only by Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC. You can order it online.

Viseguy

Hi girlieg! Wow. I love the look of the Ellis Island and will surely be ordering some forthwith - despite the fact that I need to appropriate another drawer. It seems to be the sort of deep blue-black I've been wanting for a long time now and would even work well at work. On my monitor I can see a bit of green in the smears from the water test, but not as much as other Noodlers-made "blue-blacks." Haven't tried Tahitian Pearl.

Thanks so much for some of the most helpful reviews I've seen here!

Oh no, FPH no longer lists Manhattan Blue - my ultimate favorite. It looks like Ellis Island has replaced it (maybe I have to drive up there and see if they have a few MB left?)

Argh. Hmm, Eliis Island looks awfully close - but it's terribly hard to tell on the monitor - I wonder what gives?

Can anyone compare - is Ellis Island close to Manhattan Blue -- darn I knew I should have ordered a few more bottles....

Oh no, FPH no longer lists Manhattan Blue - my ultimate favorite. It looks like Ellis Island has replaced it (maybe I have to drive up there and see if they have a few MB left?)

Argh. Hmm, Eliis Island looks awfully close - but it's terribly hard to tell on the monitor - I wonder what gives?

Can anyone compare - is Ellis Island close to Manhattan Blue -- darn I knew I should have ordered a few more bottles....

FPH has never sold Manhattan Blue. Manhattan Blue is exclusively made by Noodlers for Art Brown, a different NYC penshop. It is still available for sale -- at Art Brown.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Girlieg33k thanks for the review. I enjoy all of your reviews. I bought Ellis Island because I wanted a vintage looking ink. I haven't found it to be a slow drying ink however. it dries fairly quickly in my esterbrook J that I have it loaded in currently and I'm left handed (no smearing with this ink so far). It seems to be fairly water resistant.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Thanks CharlieB for clearing up my confusion - too many Manhatten-somethings from Manhattan and I didn't get them straight.

I decided to get a bottle of Ellis Island from FPH (wow fast shipping) and compared it to Art Brown Manhattan Blue - in person. The difference is quite obvious, Ellis Island being on the black side of blue-black and Manhattan Blue clearly at the blue end of the range. Both are lovely colors. (It's really quite amazing the range of colors which can fall under the general category of blue-black.)

I started a new rotation of pens this week. While I was inking pens, I decided to handwrite a few mini-reviews on each ink, with swab samples. To save time, I scanned everything, so colors may vary depending on your monitor. I'm limited to posting 600pix wide images here, but click on the image or the link below it to view the full-size scanned image. The full-sized image may give a better, sharper representation of each ink color.

I received mine and it is so dark I can hardly decern it from black. Nathan.

• 1 month later...

I got mine in the mail from a friend and I just have to say how lovely this ink is! I have been searching for just the right work ink and this fits the bill very nicely. It flows well in y CdA Ecridor F nib and has become my favourite ink of any colour.

Kath

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

Dear Girlieg33,

A very nice review, and another blue black to consider adding to the ink drawer. On the monitor, I can not see any greenish tints, though they may be more obvious in person. Of the Noodler's Bulletproofs I have tried, I have not gotten any shading to speak of, and suspect in may have to do with the chemistry of the ink.

Again, nice review.

Regards,

Wade

Sending with regards (my 73s)

Wade

KG4KAH

Earlier this week while searching for handwriting styles from the turn of the century I was viewing ellisisland.org. After several hours of research and I was able to find the records of my grandparents. I just came across this review this morning. The ink is a must have. Thank you for your review and thank you to all that make this network possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I got in a bottle of this yesterday and mine is GREEN black. Not BLUE black. Is it just my bottle? Every write up has said blue-black, but do ya'll have green in the shading? What I have is pretty, but not what I wanted. And yes, I did give the bottle a shake before I sampled it.

I'll try and add a scan tomorrow, but the printers are acting possessed right now.

Edited by Celeste

Ok, well I went back and looked at the water I used to rinse...no green whatsoever...??? It's blue. I thinned the ink a touch and it came out Blue-black. VERY DARK blue black and matt colored. So I dunno, maybe I need to eat some carrots before I fuss with this any farther. Tomorrow is already slated to be a frustrating day, but I will TRY and get some scans. I do like the color, it's just not what I expected.

Ok, well I went back and looked at the water I used to rinse...no green whatsoever...??? It's blue. I thinned the ink a touch and it came out Blue-black. VERY DARK blue black and matt colored. So I dunno, maybe I need to eat some carrots before I fuss with this any farther. Tomorrow is already slated to be a frustrating day, but I will TRY and get some scans. I do like the color, it's just not what I expected.

Could it be the lighting that you're viewing it under?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde