The Parker Vector

tntaylor

Well, there is not much to add. I like the Vector - especially the Calligraphy fine nib type. It is just right for me - I haven't been able to find other factory italic nibs that fine. By me it ousted a Sheaffer no nonsense many years ago. I think the narrow and dry italic nib did it.

Anyway it has been my almost daily writer for 10 years now - no problems, still going strong.

Henrik

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Mike 59

• inkstainedruth

• Matlock

I'm going to have to say I really like my Vector for doing math notes and just general note taking. Its stiff nib makes sure I get consistent lines and since it was my step-father's old pen AKA its been worked in, its not scratchy or any of the problems I hear you guys talking about. I really like it. I didn't even know what kind of pen this was till I found this thread. Anyways I'd definitely say that the pen isn't the most exciting or elegant pen but it does it's job of being a daily writer well.

My pen collection only consists of a blue Parker Vector. I bought it at a drug store about eight years ago and it's been my devoted servant ever since. I have the occasional scratching or snapping sound if I hold it at the wrong angle, but it's never let me down. Wouldn't mind expanding my collection some day, but I'm a poor college student, so I'll have to stick to a converter and bottled ink for the moment.

For such a simple pen in design and components, it is so smooth, wet, and easy to use that it has always been a favorite. And I have never lost my first one even. Not flashy but it is a workhorse.

Poxy

Life is like a 10 speed bike, Most of us have gears we never use. Charles Schulz

These pens are actually quite user serviceable, although I wouldn't recommend everyone to try it. The caps of the Vectors usually had stickers to cover up the screw or rivet which held the clip, and inner cap secure. These stickers were colored a shiny black, matte white or stainless steel type.

Do you have any tips for how best to remove the sticker?

My pen collection only consists of a blue Parker Vector. I bought it at a drug store about eight years ago and it's been my devoted servant ever since.

Congratulations, David - I think you must be FPN's most modest collector. ;) Actually, I think it's better to have one pen and use it well, than have a whole bunch of Italian celluloid in a cabinet and never use it.

Wouldn't mind expanding my collection some day, but I'm a poor college student, so I'll have to stick to a converter and bottled ink for the moment.

Just think of all the big plans you can make meanwhile, after picking up a host of pen recommendations here on FPN.

Col

• 4 weeks later...

I have quite a few Vectors. I find the fine tip the most suitable, and the medium tip is a little too wet for my liking. I like the simple cylindrical design, though it is a little too narrow, and the section slips.

While on the topic, I would like to ask, can anyone tell me how one can remove the nib and feed from the section? I have a couple of Vectors with damaged nibs, and was wondering if I could do some do-it yourself work on these. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Prabuddha

• 1 month later...

In summary, Vectors are utility pens and not for displaying with your Sonnets, Duofolds and the like. I use them mostly for testing new inks and playing darts now. Otherwise it's a personal choice.

Nice review,but *********************.If u use a fountain pen for playing dart,you are certainly one.And how proudly u say that.........

TATAI, I HAVE EDITED YOUR POST AND REMOVED YOUR STATEMENT. PERSONAL ATTACKS OR INSULTS AGAINST ANY MEMBER OF THIS BOARD WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!! THIS IS YOUR FIRST AND LAST WARNING!

Edited by Apollo

Any kind of reference to profanity will not be tolerated on the Fountain Pen Network.

Just to let you know, sir, I use five or six Vectors everyday without problems. You need to read more into what I post before you ignorantly vent your colorful opinion.

Shamouti

Allll right! A flame war over the humble and loveable Vector. Who would have thought it? Usually we only see this kind of energy release over Montblancs.

Lighten up, everyone. Besides, if we're playing darts, use an Estie with a 1550 nib for best results. Vector nibs have too much tipping.

;)

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

In summary, Vectors are utility pens and not for displaying with your Sonnets, Duofolds and the like. I use them mostly for testing new inks and playing darts now. Otherwise it's a personal choice.

Nice review,but *********************.If u use a fountain pen for playing dart,you are certainly one.And how proudly u say that.........

Tatai, insulting members of this board the way you did is a quick way to get yourself banned so I've edited your post. Let this be the last time I have to address it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

It's a pretty good pen for the price, IMHO. Yeah, you can have some nib problems depending on random chance and the abuses of the previous owner, but generally they're quite capable. I prefer the thicker and more attractive Lamy Vista... but hey, the Vector is still cheaper and if you lose it you don't end up feeling like you lost a valuable artifact.

My only gripe with the Vector is the calligraphy set. I find the stub nibs a bit unreliable. They skip if you don't repeated prime them. You have to move slowly most of the time. But this pen makes for a very convenient art set. It is small and travels well. Plus, you can use cartridges or converters. The black body with chrome clip and metal bottom section has a nice look to it. The brushed aluminum version is the best looking of the bunch and easy to obtain without much extra cost. Seriously, I see no reason to bash this pen. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

My first Parker was a Vector and I now own :embarrassed_smile: 20..ish Parkers, and that's only because I can't afford to buy more.

However my first fountain pen was a Sheaffer NoNonsense and I only own 6 Sheaffers, so obviously the Vector struck a nerve which the NoNonsense failed to impact.

Mike

Edited by tbfalsename

I've done many things I'm not proud of, and those that I am proud of are disgusting.

• 1 year later...

I'm digging up this old post for the fun of it !

My 2 Vectors have been sitting in a drawer for way too long so I thought I'd bring them out for a spin !

I've been fortunate that both writes smooth even after so long. Just too bad it's not used very often though..

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Parker%20Vector/DSC03128.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Parker%20Vector/DSC03136.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Parker%20Vector/00.jpghttp://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Parker%20Vector/DSC03150.jpg

Edited by Apotheosis

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

I have an old Vector I got in a lot of pens off e-bay, (mostly for the 60's Jotters) but it seems to work ok, it's not an older "45" by any reach, but it's not unpleasant. I have a couple more that have the cat from the Shrek movie on them, still in the package.

Not a bad pen (I do dislike the Reflex, though) but for the price, I rather have the Pelikano

• 3 months later...

well, it`s an older topic, and some of you already expressed their "hatred" over the humble vector, but let me just say the things that i really appreciate about it. 1. it`s cheap, but not that cheap to write with. maybe for those who never used a fountain pen that didn`t came with a gold nib, this comes as a an overstatement, but the fact is that many kids today learn to write using fountain pens worth 50 euro cents, like the ones produced by schneider and others, which are really horrible. in comparison, the vector appears as a solid performer.

2. because it`s cheap, one doesn`t have to worry about it. when i go to college with my sonnet, i have to be extra-careful not to scratch or drop it- not the case with the vector. i can drop it, walk on it, or even lose it. no big deal, because besides the fact that that it`s really resistant, it`s also very easy to replace.

3. i really like the though nib and overall design of the pen. very easy to write with, very comfortable. functional design and distinct look to it- one cannot mistake it.

to sum up, i would say that the vector is not an exceptional pen(it`s not meant to be). but that doesn`t mean that the person who is using it isn`t :)

Edited by rochester21

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm not the first to drag this topic out of the closet and dust it off, but I had to simply chime in about how much I enjoy the Vector.

I've been using one since 1995 or so, and it's been my daily pen for all these years. Great for school notes, business, correspondence, etc.

I really like the slim non-flashy design and long-lasting ink. I've never found it takes a lot to break in, as other have suggested, but perhaps my grip and writing style is just right for this pen. In contrast, I hate the Reflex. I've owned two and thrown them both away in frustration...can't get a good grip, stiff nib, etc.

I purchase a couple of Vectors a year on eBay. Being inexpensive, I don't fret if one gets lost or lent-out and never returned. (Does anyone else ever feel apologetic when a lefty asks you to borrow a pen and all you have is your fountain pen? :-p )

The only quirk I don't like is that I seem to distend the barrel clip easily -- it gets caught on clothing, etc -- and there's no easy way to bend it back flush with the barrel.

I've used other, more expensive sets, but always come back to my Vectors.

(At my desk, I typically write with a dip pen, a nib w/a reservoir, and some Higgins Eternal -- but that's another story.)

I have a vector too.Is it really a thrash pen?Im thinking to upgrade from vector to higher level pen.Whats your suggestions?Pelikan M200 or maybe cross whats do you think about that?

The M150 or M200 are great pens. I prefer a 400 or better just for size but cost makes the 150 worth while.

Rod Rumsey

Email me