Brian Anderson

Hi Brian,

It is hard to understand the decision not to produce this series. Have you inked the nib? I'd be curious to know what it's like to write with.

And when you get a spare second, I'd love to see a photo of the pen, with nib installed, uncapped. The wraparound nibs I can think of offhand seemed to be designed to flow more-or-less seamlessly into the body of the pen, continuing the curve of the section (and oftentimes the barrel as well). I'm having difficulties imagining the wraparound nib protruding from a standard Estie section.

Cheers,

Jon

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• Quicksilver

• antoniosz

• FarmBoy

Any chance of more nib pics -- e.g. side and bottom, including the collar? It's the only look I'll ever get :) .

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

A man in a black cape and hood just gave me this bag of pens one day and then vanished. I have no idea who he is or where he went, but on occasion he does show up. :)

Was he from upstate NY? :)

I suspect so, Esterbrook always seemed to be a day late and a dollar short when it came to trying to keep up with the competition. Hard to believe with all their experience in working with steel nibs they couldn't effectively come out with this nib on a regular production basis. I can't believe it would have cost that much to make.

Esterbrook was very well equipped to make such nibs but maybe there was Sheaffer's patent(s) like US2303373 that prevented them from going forward.

Great info everyone! I'm tracking the details on the 6668 over here, in case you ever need to refer back.

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

BTW, is the 6668 steel or palladium?

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

On top of patent issues, that also could have limited production. Steel was being shifted to the war machine in the early 40s, which was part of the reasoning behind the palladium 8000 nibs. Making that conical nib in palladium might have been prohibitively expensive for them, as opposed to Sheaffer, who charged more for their pens.

Still waiting for the pictures Brian.

Unfortunately, I have to be the bearer of bad news - but it appears that this pen and nib were a misproduced (mistake) initial production of a trial pen and nib that was spectacularly unsuccessful, resulting in abandonment.

Understanding that this terrible news will be a shocking dissapointment to you - I wish to try to help you in your hour of need, and will offer to take this hideous combination off your hands to save you any embarassment. Just let me know when and how (I wish to help you avoid all embarassing offers that may be made otherwise...).

Yours in everlasting Esterbrook admmiration...

Gerry

Still waiting for the pictures Brian.

Unfortunately, I have to be the bearer of bad news - but it appears that this pen and nib were a misproduced (mistake) initial production of a trial pen and nib that was spectacularly unsuccessful, resulting in abandonment.

Understanding that this terrible news will be a shocking dissapointment to you - I wish to try to help you in your hour of need, and will offer to take this hideous combination off your hands to save you any embarassment. Just let me know when and how (I wish to help you avoid all embarassing offers that may be made otherwise...).

Yours in everlasting Esterbrook admmiration...

Gerry

I love how FPN'rs are always so willing to step in and help in another person's time of need. I really do appreciate it. :D

Ummm..., sorry, haven't gotten to the pictures yet, perhaps this afternoon, or sometime this weekend for sure. Not to string everyone out or anything.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I have no words..................... :drool: :drool:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Ok, I know you guys have been refreshing the screen for days wondering when I'm going to post these pics, so here they are. :D

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/icicleprototypeopen.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/icicleprototypeside.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/icicleprototypebottom.jpg

Best-

Brian

Ok, I know you guys have been refreshing the screen for days wondering when I'm going to post these pics, so here they are. :D

Brian,

I don't want to be the guy that has to tell you this but it is my duty. The pen is almost certainly a fake. Send it to me and I'll verify it for you, this could take 2-3 years.

OK, looks good.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just to make you all even madder, here's the rest of the pen:

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/icicleprototype.jpg

Enjoy!

Brian

Very, very purdy!

Regards,

Ray

Oh, interesting. I thought the 6668 was a full conical nib, but it isn't.

Thanks, Brian, for the photos. The nib alone is amazingly cool - the nib/pen combination is spectacular.

I've got to admit, I also thought the 6XXX series were full wraparound nibs. This design looks like an ancestor of the Waterman Liaison nib.

Sure wish Esterbrook had put these into regular production!

Cheers,

Jon

Sure wish Esterbrook had put these into regular production!

Yeah, makes you wonder what the deterrent was. I have a prototype Safari ala "Flighter" style and it is, for lack of a better word, killer.

I suppose they probably had all sorts of ideas, but you can't make them all. :(

Brian