Noodler's CMYK Color Mixes

Limner

I owe Goulet Pens a big thank you--I got all of my tester inks from their ink samples offerings, as well as the full bottles for calculating the formulas.

No affiliation, etc. etc. :)

(Edit to add: wheee! Thanks for moving this to the correct forum!!)

Edited by Linda Medley

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• amberleadavis

• Intellidepth

• sansa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mix sheets and the picture of the swatches are so bright and beautiful. I caught myself gazing for a few minutes. So well done, I'm in awe!

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

An update on Toucan CMYK ink mixing:

I ordered Bright Blue, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. The Black is very good... it dilutes to a pure grey. Now I don't know about the primeness of the other inks but the Magenta is disappointingly unsaturated. It takes a 15:1 ratio of Magenta:BB to make a purple lilac colour. For comparison, a 1:1 ratio of BB:Y gives a bluish emerald.

An update on Toucan CMYK ink mixing:

I ordered Bright Blue, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. The Black is very good... it dilutes to a pure grey. Now I don't know about the primeness of the other inks but the Magenta is disappointingly unsaturated. It takes a 15:1 ratio of Magenta:BB to make a purple lilac colour. For comparison, a 1:1 ratio of BB:Y gives a bluish emerald.

It's great that the Yellow and Bright Blue are close in saturation--Diamine Yellow is less saturated than the other primary inks, so the ratios of mixes towards the Y end are pretty extreme. I took a look at some of the Toucan inks reviews, and I wonder if you could (for mixing purposes) split the Magenta duties between Toucan Scarlet for the Magenta+Yellow hues, and Toucan Crimson for the Magenta+Cyan hues? It's hard to judge from onscreen swatches, but it looks as if Scarlet is a warm red, while Crimson is cool:

fpn_1422831747__toucancmy.jpg

(Swatches stolen from Anderson Pens and Jamerelbe's review)

That does sound like a good alternative. What do you think about using Toucan Orange in place of Scarlet? It's yellower but bright to the point of neon, like BB. This is visible in the ink drop tests by FPN user BoomBox:

http://i.imgur.com/Eh6jN4j.jpg

That said I've not seen Scarlet or Crimson in person to compare.

Edited by sansa

Sure! The only problem you might run into would be if the Orange is an unsaturated ink (like the Magenta), you'd end up with 'weak' mixes--but it certainly doesn't look unsaturated from the ink drop. hmmm...Orange may actually be a better choice than Scarlet for splitting Magenta. Scarlet looks muted in some of the onscreen swatches I've seen...but, I'm essentially just guessing since I've never seen any of the inks in person!

I may just have to get into mixing.

I underestimated how many vials I would want to make up. I thought 30 would be a lot, but I've used 20 in just a month and would have used more but I'm exercising restraint. Can't say I'll ever look back thanks to Linda's work. Being able to tailor colours to personalised 'perfection'? Priceless. And only 4 bottles of ink. Soothes my artistic soul.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I underestimated how many vials I would want to make up. I thought 30 would be a lot, but I've used 20 in just a month and would have used more but I'm exercising restraint. Can't say I'll ever look back thanks to Linda's work. Being able to tailor colours to personalised 'perfection'? Priceless. And only 4 bottles of ink. Soothes my artistic soul.

Thanks, Intellidepth :). Color is a very powerful tool (think of all the ways it's used to affect mood, sell products, as an identifier, etc.). The great thing about FP inks is that you can also use them like watercolors; having control over color makes it easier to pick out custom palettes, as well. You may want to get some of these or these (that seller is in the US but I'm sure you can find them all over):

fpn_1423076691__hennabottles01.gif

fpn_1423076748__hennabottles02.jpg

I use the regular pointy tips for refilling eyedropper-fillers, the needle attachments for cartridges. Less muss & fuss (especially for a 10-year-old ;) ).

• 2 weeks later...

Awe inspiring work - thank you Linda, et al - ... now back for another look at the Praying Mantis Green ... :)

Edited by zenephi001

John

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow :-)

For All The Times That Might Have Been We Only Have The Now

www.africanconservation.org

Is there a Noodler's black or dark grey that doesn't have particulate murkiness please? The bulletproof blocks luster reflections and reduces shadiness, unlike the CM&Y. I like the bulletproof in regular ink blends for 'normal' writing, but am seeking another just for shady and luster use. I do understand I'd need to use more in the blend formulas and that the effect will change.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Is there a Noodler's black or dark grey that doesn't have particulate murkiness please? The bulletproof blocks luster reflections and reduces shadiness, unlike the CM&Y. I like the bulletproof in regular ink blends for 'normal' writing, but am seeking another just for shady and luster use. I do understand I'd need to use more in the blend formulas and that the effect will change.

That's a good question...the only Noodler's non-bulletproof black that I can think of is Bernanke Black, and I've never tried it. You might try substituting Diamine Jet Black (or Grey) for the Noodler's. I don't usually intermix brands, but it might be worth a try.

That's a good question...the only Noodler's non-bulletproof black that I can think of is Bernanke Black, and I've never tried it. You might try substituting Diamine Jet Black (or Grey) for the Noodler's. I don't usually intermix brands, but it might be worth a try.

Diamine Grey - I use it solely for mixing.

Lexington Grey - when I want my mix to leave something behind after a wash but not really affect it's colour.

Thanks Linda and Tas! Will check out pics.

Thanks Tas.

Noodler's Dark Matter. Never noticed the particulates with it; it is not a bulletproof ink.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I had heard of mixing with Diamine's Document Inks, but had written it off as too expensive for me. When I was researching Noodler's Boston Safety Pen, I came across a Reddit post about Noodler's Safety Inks (Committee of Safety 1774) and using them for CMYK color mixing. Then a quick Google search found this thread which, I must say, has been very informative. I'd still like something waterproof, but it has given me some ideas. Has anyone played around with mixing Noodler's waterproof inks recently?