Noodler's CMYK Color Mixes

Limner

This is a very old topic...but I wonder if I might resurrect it nevertheless and say that this is one of the best things I've come across. Endless possibilities!

What tools exactly do you use to mix inks? Eyedroppers and sample vials? Or something more complex? And is it possible to use (NYC) tap water instead of White of the Whale?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• amberleadavis

• Intellidepth

• sansa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a very old topic...but I wonder if I might resurrect it nevertheless and say that this is one of the best things I've come across. Endless possibilities!

What tools exactly do you use to mix inks? Eyedroppers and sample vials? Or something more complex? And is it possible to use (NYC) tap water instead of White of the Whale?

I use syringes and blunt needles. The syringe serves to measure the amount of ink you're putting into the mixture. I put all inks into vials and then I use the vials as the source for the inks I mix. That way there is no possibility of contamination of the ink in the actual bottle. All that ink ever sees is a stainless steel needle. And I have a separate syringe/needle for almost each ink that I'm likely to mix. I do have one syringe/needle that's for very washable inks and owing to their nature they are all measured and dispensed using that one, which I wash out thoroughly after each use.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 month later...

Thanks, tweexcore, considering its longevity I must say that it was well worth the effort.

Personally, I use a few different methods when I'm mixing inks depending on the quantity that I want to mix. For mixing up a lot of colors in small amounts, I use droppers (one for each of the primaries and secondaries) and a mini ice cube tray. One that comes with a lid is ideal. For larger quantities I use measured syringes and vials or bottles. I have a set of Waterman Kulturs (clear demonstrators) that I use as eyedropper fillers and measure the inks right into the barrels, but I'm crazy that way :)

Sure you can use water instead of White Whale, but I'd use distilled rather than tap water. I won't even drink the tap water in my city, let alone put it in a pen!

• 1 month later...

I've made the mixes!

I will need to make more of each sooner or later but I plan to water color with these mixes.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x232/JohnCruzNg/IMG_1085.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x232/JohnCruzNg/IMG_1083.jpg

I'd like to thank you for resurrecting the topic -- I have these colours in the mail now, as I've often wondered about mixing my own inks.

Thanks for all the hard work and the colour charts!

• 2 years later...

Updated Image Links

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/TIWiOVu3MXI/AAAAAAAACRY/FlH7lgnMk_E/s1600/NoodlersCMYKchart100.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/TIWi5oASPJI/AAAAAAAACRw/DPUb-caxvJ4/s1600/NoodlersCMYKwriting100.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/TIWh64gSKlI/AAAAAAAACRQ/A2seGb1FrEM/s1600/Ink-mixing-chart.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/TIWiegYk4YI/AAAAAAAACRg/16Upd_H8ZXI/s1600/post-9000-1196047482.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/TIWir3kU8_I/AAAAAAAACRo/HeUkZMw25cg/s1600/NoodlersCMYKwheel100.jpg

Thank you for bringing this back to the top, Amberlea. I mixed up the Hue row and a few of the others. They really are quite cool and fun. And it really isn't difficult. But there are A LOT of colors there.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I'm with you Ted, those colors and mixing rows are really fun!

OOOOOO let us know how it works, and please post pics. Oh, and feel free to send written samples for the fade experiments.

• 4 months later...

I wish I had ordered more vials from Dillon when I got some for the Ink Trade program! With the vials I did not preemptively fill with inks I was listing for trade I have *just* enough to mix up the entire Hue column. I did learn color theory in school, but even still it amazes me a little that I went from 3 inks to 24 inks with this.

Not sure if they will help anyone, but though I would post here in case it does. These were created by dipping a Jinhao X750 and writing on two different kinds of paper. I know this is not the most complete test for FP use, but it is what I do with my Ink Drop samples and good enough for me thus far.

Strathmore Writing (25% cotton, natural white, wove, 24lb):

13572365144_dcc512bac0.jpg

Georgia Pacific Multipurpose Paper (20 lb, bright white, Walmart)

13571999655_475cd09715.jpg

I scanned these on the copier at work. Even though I scanned them both at once and then cropped, you cannot tell that one was pure white paper and the other was natural white. Almost as though the scanner did something fancy to try to filter out the page. If anyone has suggestions how to get better images, I am more than willing to try again.

I would have done more mixing but alas no vials. I am particularly interested in trying to examine the different between diluting with distilled water and mixing with Whiteness of the Whale.

I also note that the names used for the mixed colors reflect the RYB color model rather than the CMYK model; which I am not sure was intentional or not; I did a fair bit of reading up on these models when I read on he about "spot colors" or otherwise I probably would not know the difference. Under CMYK you apparently mix blue by mixing cyan and magenta and mix red by mixing magenta and yellow. I would be interested in seeing what would result if I mixed a Red and a Blue using that approach, and then did the mixes described above using the resulting RYB colors.

Wow this is awesome! Thank you.

Add a couple drops of black to each and you'll have 48. Then you mix some of these colors together. I tried this a year ago and I've got inks out the wazoo

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• 1 month later...

Here are scans for the Tone Mixes. The tones were made from the same mixes I've already shown so any possible mistakes there propagated to these. These were also mixed in smaller amounts than the 'pure' mixes so measuring error will be more impactful. That said, it should be a good reference and idea of mixing potential. Tones were mixed in the same ratios as defined in the chart (6:1 and 3:2).

Each cluster of 6 goes progressively from a color to its complement hitting the tones in between. The clusters are arranged in the same order as the chart starting with Noodler's Yellow.

Strathmore Writing (25% cotton, natural white, wove, 24lb):

14184245701_633314bdd2_z.jpg
14207672213_4ff08b45a0_z.jpg
14000873029_ca6d31e88c_z.jpg

Georgia Pacific Multipurpose Paper (20 lb, bright white, Walmart):

14187546875_22eb61908a_z.jpg
14187513944_59ff43e1fe_z.jpg
14184955332_a9de836bd6_z.jpg

These will hopefully be more helpful than my last post. I have changed up my sample format a bit. Still the same two types of paper, but now written using a Dip Pen outfitted with an FPR Broad Nib and a tape reservoir. This gives more consistent results than how I had been dipping the FP. Both nib and paper choice probably are not good for showing any shading potential.

These were scanned the same as last time. Hopefully the dpi is high enough, I had to reduce it on some because the files were ending up too large for the scanner to successfully e-mail.

I have had these mixed for a while now (thanks Dillon for the deal on more vials!!) but it wasn't until a day off work that I had the time to sample them all.

WOW WOW WOW WOW

These are stunning. I'm so impressed.

DO NOT throw those sheets out!

On the screen, I see amazing shading from some of the colors. Is that just my imagination?