Noodler's CMYK Color Mixes

Limner

Hi Linda, I'm happy with washables as I'm just a casual writer - the sheer volume of potential colour has captured my creative interest, that's for sure! I would love to change up inks frequently, and you've given me the power to do so in such a clear and simple formula set.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• amberleadavis

• Intellidepth

• sansa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Linda, I'm happy with washables as I'm just a casual writer - the sheer volume of potential colour has captured my creative interest, that's for sure! I would love to change up inks frequently, and you've given me the power to do so in such a clear and simple formula set.

Thanks, Intellidepth, and you're welcome; I've worked with CMYK coloring for years, so this wasn't a chore. While my primary motivation was frugality, I'm delighted that folks enjoy the creative aspect of ink mixing as well. (Coming up with interesting names for your custom colors is half the fun!)

Maiden, Mother and Crone you guys are amaaaaaaazing!!! :yikes:

This thread has obviously taken A LOT of time and dedication, and I just want to say thank you to all of the people who have been contributing here. The Bulletproof CYMK wheel is really intriguing. I wonder if one could use the bulletproofs for the dominant color and the brighter washable colors for the non-dominant (or perhaps vice versa) to produce some lovely eyepopping inks that retain some (but not 100%) bulletproof properties? I've heard that the infamous BSiAR is 16% bulletproof, though I don't know who provided that number or how they arrived at it.

This is a Good ThreadTM. :thumbup:

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

There's lots of room for experimentation, certainly! I was aiming for primary inks that were of similar intensity and character, for simplicity of mixing (as well as cost effectiveness--having to buy three bottles of yellow per each bottle of cyan & magenta, for instance, would defeat the purpose). The main problem with intermixing would be possible incompatibility, and you'd end up with sludge that might ruin your pens; but as long as you observed your mixes for a few days before putting them to use, go for it!

In terms of bulletproof ink mixing, what about, for CYMK:

Cyan: Dostoyevsky, or Midway

Yellow: Golden Pig

Magenta: Dragon Pink

Black: Heart of Darkness

The Cyans seems fairly "off", but since I literally know nothing about ink mixing, I'm just guessing here....

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

I love Midway (and I think Goulet's image is off), and Midway is much more of a cyan color BUT Vmail inks should only be mixed with other Vmails (I think).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I agree, I did some experimenting with the Russian inks (Dostoyevsky for cyan, Rachmaninov for magenta) and the results were super dry. I seem to remember there was some other weirdness with them, too.

I'm hesitant to intermix different 'lines' within a brand (and I don't intermix brands, personally); both Dragon Pink and Golden Pig are highlighter inks, so they may not "play nice" with other bulletproof inks (but may make a brilliant orange, mixed together).

I'm still hoping that Dr. Jansen at De Atramentis will fix his Document Turquoise to match his Adular Blue (which is spot-on cyan!), work out the bugs in Document Yellow, and he'd have a perfect set of waterproof CMYK mixing inks. They'd cost more than Noodler's, but it would be so worth it.

I have been happily enabled by this thread. Four Noodler's inks travelling over the ocean in my direction. :) And a few samples of other brands that I can blend with ink brands I already have. Love colour! Can't wait. Do you know how strange it felt to be in the pharmacy today checking out syringes, eyedroppers and ear-flushers??? And I couldn't quite get myself to ask the pharmacist if reuseable syringes were available behind the counter... LOL.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Ha! It gets worse, Intellidepth; I once had a housemate ask me "What on earth are you doing in the bathroom?!!"--I had (and still have) a test tube rack holding drying syringes, vials, pipettes, pen parts, and various pieces of lab glassware in there. I store my pens and other tools in an antique Gerstner dental chest which was chock-full of old dental tools and equipment when I got it...and I re-purposed a lot of the contents for studio use. It tends to look like a mad scientist's lab around here...

If you have any questions about color mixing, don't be afraid to ask! If I can't come up with a legitimate answer, there are a lot of folks on the board who can. Everyone should have more color in their life :) .

Ha! It gets worse, Intellidepth; I once had a housemate ask me "What on earth are you doing in the bathroom?!!"--I had (and still have) a test tube rack holding drying syringes, vials, pipettes, pen parts, and various pieces of lab glassware in there. I store my pens and other tools in an antique Gerstner dental chest which was chock-full of old dental tools and equipment when I got it...and I re-purposed a lot of the contents for studio use. It tends to look like a mad scientist's lab around here...

If you have any questions about color mixing, don't be afraid to ask! If I can't come up with a legitimate answer, there are a lot of folks on the board who can. Everyone should have more color in their life :) .

I left out my tubes vials and syringes one evening to dry at the office in my semi private bathroom. The next day, management calls demands an exaplanation.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ha ha! I hadn't thought that far ahead. Hilarious.

Great news is that my 10 y.o. son, who is practicing in the holdays aiming for legible writing, got excited last night and said he *really* wanted a particular green ink to match the cap on his Lamy Nexx.

Wonderful way to keep him practicing in anticipation given it'll take a few weeks for the inks to arrive. Then I'll involve him in the fun scientific art of ink mixing. His eyes lit up at the idea of having his very own unique shade of green.

That's fantastic! Well, until all his friends want custom colors of their own, then you may be a little busier than you anticipated. :)

It's great that he's taking an interest in color. I'll admit, I'm not a natural colorist; I really had to study color theory to make sense of it. It didn't really click for me until I realized that there is a mathematical element to it (despite the fact that I'm not particularly keen on math!)

Gotta love when you can sneak in some math.

What an amazing thread. I'd like to replicate these mixes using Diamine inks as a substitute (given their relative obtainability) but I'm uncertain as to where to start.

Cyan: Diamine Havasu Turquoise OR regular old Turquoise

Magenta: Diamine Deep Magenta

Yellow: Diamine Yellow

Black: Diamine Onyx Black

Are these the best possible choices? And if I were to go one step further and follow the Hexachrome system, which Green and Orange should I get?

Cheers.

Awesome! :-D Picture, please?

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

You guys are killin' me, it's past midnight here ;)

What an amazing thread. I'd like to replicate these mixes using Diamine inks as a substitute (given their relative obtainability) but I'm uncertain as to where to start.

Cyan: Diamine Havasu Turquoise OR regular old Turquoise
Magenta: Diamine Deep Magenta
Yellow: Diamine Yellow
Black: Diamine Onyx Black

Are these the best possible choices? And if I were to go one step further and follow the Hexachrome system, which Green and Orange should I get?

Cheers.

Hang tight, Sansa--I'm actually working on a Diamine version of this right now. Wish i had gotten to it sooner; I know Noodlers isn't easy to get everywhere.

Awesome! :-D Picture, please?

I can post a photo of the chest tomorrow :)

(edited to fix quotes)

Edited by Linda Medley

You guys are killin' me, it's past midnight here

Hang tight, Sansa--I'm actually working on a Diamine version of this right now. Wish i had gotten to it sooner; I know Noodlers isn't easy to get everywhere.

Great news. I look forward to seeing your results. In the meantime, I might order some Toucan mixing inks to tide me over, thin as they are.

I'm looking forward to seeing the De Atramentis permanent ink versions of this one day too - the cmyk kit is available in Aus from Larrypost online right now. My budget has run out for this month and my Noodlers are due to arrive tomorrow or the next day, so I'll be happy for a while yet. But I would also like to add these commercially currently available waterproof cmyk's that can safely traverse the mail system, rain, hail, or shine ;).

Edited by Intellidepth

They're here! (noodler's cmyk). Here is my 10 y.o. son's first custom ink, made by him, and dubbed Praying Mantis after he saw the first random scribble. Thank you again. post-119270-0-22679800-1421709877_thumb.jpg